Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone with experience.........

Anyone with experience.........

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone with experience.........

OK as a soon to be expat (off to Oz in August), I read this forum with interest - it always gives you a reality check.

I would be interested from those with experience how big they would rate the "not been able to get a job" situation on their feelings of unrest and homesickness. It appears from the sidelines that this is a large factor and would be interested if this is the case.

Regards,

Muzzman
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with experience.........

Originally posted by Muzzman
OK as a soon to be expat (off to Oz in August), I read this forum with interest - it always gives you a reality check.

I would be interested from those with experience how big they would rate the "not been able to get a job" situation on their feelings of unrest and homesickness. It appears from the sidelines that this is a large factor and would be interested if this is the case.

Regards,

Muzzman
When I first emigrated to Oz ('89) it took me 3 months to get a job. This combined with homesickness, a new culture, months of solid rain (in Sydney), really made me feel like coming home. Even when I finally got work I was in two minds whether to stay. However, I didn't want to ask myself "what if?" 20 years later. So I stayed.

I would say that getting work is extremely important - especially if you are the major breadwinner. It also provides you with an avenue to meet other people and to be integrated with the '9-5' society.

For me, getting a job is the most important issue to address after you arrive (unless you can afford not to work!) - without a job, the negative aspects of the other issues are greatly magnified; you just keep on asking yourself the question "What the hell am I doing here?"

For some people, getting a job that is at least similar (not necessarily as well paid) to the job you left behind may also be important - it was for me. For example, I left UK as a manager in the financial services. If the only job I could have got was stacking crates - with little chance of it changing in, say, 6 months - that would also have been a real downer.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Feb 22nd 2004 at 9:43 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:13 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i arrived in sydney in 99 and i got a temp job (was on WHVisa so had to be temp) in the second week - after that i had 5 weeks off before getting the next job -

the one piece of advice i would give and would use myself when i move to my next place is to try if you can get a job in a decent size company.... i found that when i worked in offices that werent too big it was very difficult to meet people... it depends on what you are like however, the only aussies ive really met and are good friends are ones that i worked with....

i would suggest that you join a sports club, play football, cricket or something - i think you would meet more people that way...

the job is a huge part of homesickness but by no means all of it....
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:20 pm
Merlot

Default My perspective!

Working in any form helps as you do get to meet people. I did a heap of temp work (PA/Secretary) and this opened doors. I found I was never out of work in Sydney.

I found out later that as a WHV then temp spouse visa willing to do anything, I did get paid less than PR or Citizens. I also worked for the NRMA for 4 weeks in Sydney as a temp and only one person spoke to me, the person I was responsible too. Never had this anywhere else as a confident and outgoing sort of gal! They were us up themselves and quite fond of under the breath remarks about lazy POMS! If I was black I could have had them up in court!

That feeling of homesickness has never left me. Some people handle it better than others. I managed it but have now cracked!

Good luck, only you knows what makes you happy.

Merlot

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I was out of work for about 4 weeks before I got a temping job. They plonked me in the bosses office and not a soul came in to see me or to offer me a coffee - even on the first day. It wasn't a good start, and to add to that I was being paid peanuts (and still counting in ££ so I felt double-robbed!)!! Fortunately proper work came along a couple of weeks after that. Being out of work didn't really make me feel homesick - I was in the honeymoon phase of 'new country'. Husband took about 8 weeks to get a job. The only negative feelings we suffered were questionning if we were employable, were our skills required, would we stagnate if we didn't get good work, etc. I think you go through these emotions in any country - certainly my husband has been like this between contracts in the UK before now.

We used the time we were out of work to enjoy being together - homesickness came in waves and didn't start till quite a while after we had found work (probably homesickness for shorter hrs and more holidays )

Are you planning on a permanent move or just a "see how it goes"? We were the latter and in that respect there was never any pressure on ourselves to stay for a fixed amount of time. I could imagine if you were emigrating with the intention of stay till the day you die, you would feel added pressure to setlle, get work, enjoy life, not be homesick, etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:47 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone with experience.........

It seems to me that not having a job is often not the reason for returning for those that have been there for a few years. It may well be that some people turn up with little resources and without work have no choice but to return in the first few months.

A lot of people posting on this forum recently are mostly those with a few years experience of life in oz. Its probably more lifestyle reasons for returning rather than work related although the poorer working conditions and limited opportunities were certainly a big part of my reasons for returning.

I personally found a job within 3 months of arriving although had to do something way below my UK job to start with. Once I was working I found it easier to transfer into a better job and in fact I did just that inside 2 months. It seems to take the pressure off the companies if somebody else has already employed you in oz.

Originally posted by Muzzman

Regards,

Muzzman
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 12:05 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I haven't been working but have felt hoesick. Not sure if working would have made me think any differently though, I don't think so. I still have a few friends to chat with so it's not as if I've been totally alone for the past 12 months !

Start a job in the next two weeks but I know it won't make me change my mind about staying here. It will just help financially till we leave.