Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:26 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Originally Posted by RoyalBlood77
Thank you, Lion, in Winter
Just curious how would the University be able to tell if you have been out of the country for over three years if you apply using your UK address and all of your education is from the UK?
I don't know. I assume they ask for proof, unless they just count on people being honest, which seems unlikely.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Originally Posted by RoyalBlood77
Thank you, Lion, in Winter
Just curious how would the University be able to tell if you have been out of the country for over three years if you apply using your UK address and all of your education is from the UK?
Utility bills in your name to that address perhaps? That was the standard we had to meet when we moved back and did an in person change of address with our bank that we had kept for the 30 years we were away.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 12:31 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Morning all,

We've been back in the UK since June 2019 and until Covid-19 everything was going swimmingly! However, now I have been made redundant and jobs in my industry are few and far in between. I was already planning on a career change before the virus hit, but now that I've been forced into it I've found a common requirement for three years of residency in the UK before you can apply for most roles. Most of these positions are Civil Service/ joining the police etc, but this is also a problem with going back to uni to retrain (I would need to pay international student fees now).

Is anyone else in the same boat? What should I do? Just rough it out unemployed or in any job I can find for the next two years before pursuing a career change? By that stage I will be 36 years old and no spring chicken anymore.

I didn't expect to be facing this problem now.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark
yup. As an engineer with a masters degree and 20+ yrsexperience internationally, and seeing the UK cry out for stem teachers, offering grants and bursaries, I though this would be a great route. But no. I have to live in the uk for three years before I can retrain on uk fees and get bursaries etc. otherwise it’s paying 20-30,000 pounds for the privilege of training to be a uk maths teacher. **** that.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

How about studying at the Open University? Fees may be less
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

So, I take it you want to be a Police Officer? My husband and I were both in the Police....me for seven years, him for a full career. They will always need Police Officers and a lot of Officers, are looking retirement in the eye every year. I dont understand why recruiting 20,000 is relevant as you would only need one job and each force will recruit regularly to counter losses due to retirement and ill health. I also dont understand why you would need to go to university and pay international student fees when you have been to the university of life, like we had before we applied. You get tested, recruited and then trained while in the job, so where does spending out for university education come into it. Experience counts for more.