Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Morning all,

We've been back in the UK since June 2019 and until Covid-19 everything was going swimmingly! However, now I have been made redundant and jobs in my industry are few and far in between. I was already planning on a career change before the virus hit, but now that I've been forced into it I've found a common requirement for three years of residency in the UK before you can apply for most roles. Most of these positions are Civil Service/ joining the police etc, but this is also a problem with going back to uni to retrain (I would need to pay international student fees now).

Is anyone else in the same boat? What should I do? Just rough it out unemployed or in any job I can find for the next two years before pursuing a career change? By that stage I will be 36 years old and no spring chicken anymore.

I didn't expect to be facing this problem now.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Can't help on the 3 years living in the UK for a job, you can sometimes get the 3 year residency requirement for university fees waived if you can prove that the stay abroad was temporary in nature, i.e. if you were sent abroad to work for your employer. So that may be an option depending on the reason you were out of the UK?
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else struggling with the three-year requirement once back?

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Personally I would take any job while waiting out the 3 year residency restriction. Then when applying for new jobs in your chosen career you can highlight your flexibility and willingness to work.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can't help on the 3 years living in the UK for a job, you can sometimes get the 3 year residency requirement for university fees waived if you can prove that the stay abroad was temporary in nature, i.e. if you were sent abroad to work for your employer. So that may be an option depending on the reason you were out of the UK?
Thanks, but that doesn't apply to me as I was outside of the UK out of my own choice.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Sorry to hear about your job loss. Personally I would take any job while waiting out the 3 year residency restriction. Then when applying for new jobs in your chosen career you can highlight your flexibility and willingness to work.
Yeah, that's what it looks like I will have to do. It's a shame as I don't think they will be recruiting 20,000 new police officers in 3 year's time
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Yeah, that's what it looks like I will have to do. It's a shame as I don't think they will be recruiting 20,000 new police officers in 3 year's time
Think positive, it's only 2 years now since you arrived in 2019. I see that the 3 year requirement living back in the UK is because of the 3 year vetting checks required so you are definitely stuck with that restriction I'm afraid.

Best of luck with your endeavours.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to butt in, but I've never heard of this three year residency rule. Would it impact me if I returned and wanted to go into part-time teaching, for example?
Cheers
Ed
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Streetlegal
Sorry to butt in, but I've never heard of this three year residency rule. Would it impact me if I returned and wanted to go into part-time teaching, for example?
Cheers
Ed
I don’t think so but worth checking out. It is for professions such as the police where a security background check is required.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

OK. Thanks. It might actually apply to teaching, as I had checks done in the past (something like the CRB?). But three years seems VERY excessive.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Streetlegal
OK. Thanks. It might actually apply to teaching, as I had checks done in the past (something like the CRB?). But three years seems VERY excessive.
When we returned to England I had to have a CRB check done before leasing the house we did. I think there are different levels of CRB checks so well worth you doing a bit of checking ahead of time to see what level the teaching profession requires.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

With university it is worth peaking to individual universities as they do have the ability to waive the three year requirement
Old Aug 25th 2020, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

RoyalBlood77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mark,

I thought it was only a one-year requirement with universities? Did something change? What proof do universities require to prove 3 years of residency?
I was planning on going back to uni to retrain and will only have 1-year residency. Where can I find more information about the 3 year residency rule?

I am a UK Citizen born in the UK does the 3 year still apply?

Last edited by RoyalBlood77; Aug 25th 2020 at 11:16 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

3 years residence to qualify for the right to enrol as a "domestic" student.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 12:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoyalBlood77
Hello Mark,

I thought it was only a one-year requirement with universities? Did something change? What proof do universities require to prove 3 years of residency?
I was planning on going back to uni to retrain and will only have 1-year residency. Where can I find more information about the 3 year residency rule?

I am a UK Citizen born in the UK does the 3 year still apply?
Originally Posted by scot47
3 years residence to qualify for the right to enrol as a "domestic" student.
As Scot47 says, it is definitely three years where you were "ordinarily resident" in the UK prior to starting studies to qualify for domestic as opposed to international fees. Being a British citizen and born in the UK doesn't change that requirement. The admissions office will determine your status, and there is sometimes some wriggle room depending on the nature of your absence from the UK, or the willingness of the uni to let you in at domestic rates. But given that international fees are a lot higher, they don't have much motivation to do that. I don't know what proof they require, but I imagine the usual things like bank statements, bills, rent agreements, etc.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...ees-the-basics
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:19 am
Just Joined

RoyalBlood77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Lion, in Winter
Just curious how would the University be able to tell if you have been out of the country for over three years if you apply using your UK address and all of your education is from the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.