British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone in County Durham? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-county-durham-911323/)

WandererReturns Apr 5th 2018 2:24 am

Anyone in County Durham?

Hey, newbie here. I’m a 30 year old woman who returned to the UK from NZ in January with my kids & partner after just over 4 years. Never planned on returning, we were totally at home out there, but after a really rough year in 2017 which left us both at rock bottom, we fairly spontaneously jumped ship and came back here. We’ve moved to a brand new area in the U.K. - a village to the west of Durham, and have not managed to meet anyone or make any friends yet, so the reverse culture shock is really beginning to get hard as it feels like a lonely old existence. Our kids are struggling too poor things, especially our 10 year old boy, none of them have made proper friends yet either. Anyway, if anyone happens to be over this way, it would be great to chat with someone I can find common ground with! Tell me it gets easier! :-)

Spacecake799 Apr 5th 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Anyone in County Durham?

Originally Posted by WandererReturns (Post 12476061)
Hey, newbie here. I’m a 30 year old woman who returned to the UK from NZ in January with my kids & partner after just over 4 years. Never planned on returning, we were totally at home out there, but after a really rough year in 2017 which left us both at rock bottom, we fairly spontaneously jumped ship and came back here. We’ve moved to a brand new area in the U.K. - a village to the west of Durham, and have not managed to meet anyone or make any friends yet, so the reverse culture shock is really beginning to get hard as it feels like a lonely old existence. Our kids are struggling too poor things, especially our 10 year old boy, none of them have made proper friends yet either. Anyway, if anyone happens to be over this way, it would be great to chat with someone I can find common ground with! Tell me it gets easier! :-)

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear your struggling. I wonder if part of that is because everything was great for you for the most part in NZ and so you are not in the mind frame for this to work. Its surprising how that can rub off on your children as well.
I think you did a good thing picking a new area but you need to see it as an adventure. I'm amazed your children haven't made any friends? I bet they have. Don't keep asking them just make it fun and be interested in what there doing.

For adults of course it is harder. If your children are still at primary school then just try chatting to people there. Groups, anything.

We returned to a brand new area from NZ after being there 6 years. Our son was 13. We new it was very important he got on ok and was happy.
It isn't easy. Good luck with things

Benson55 Apr 7th 2018 3:22 am

Re: Anyone in County Durham?

sounds like you may have moved to the wrong place, although you probably had a good reason.
A small village in the middle of nowhere seems odd can you not get to a decent city where there is some life?