British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone consider a house swap? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-consider-house-swap-535188/)

Walkabout May 8th 2008 1:45 pm

Anyone consider a house swap?

Hi,
We have a nice big house with 5 bedrooms, large garage, gardens near good schools etc. Probably a shot in the dark but is anyone prepared to consider a house part exchange/swop? We would consider any areas in Australia but preferably Brisbane of Melbourne. As you may know, the housing market has stalled here in the UK so we have to get creative as the banks are not giving out mortgages. This would make it near impossible for anyone returning here to get on the housing ladder. PM me for more details.

Grayling May 8th 2008 2:33 pm

Re: Anyone consider a house swap?

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 6323433)
As you may know, the housing market has stalled here in the UK so we have to get creative as the banks are not giving out mortgages. This would make it near impossible for anyone returning here to get on the housing ladder.

Rubbish.....and simply untrue. Plenty of people are still able to get mortgages.

My son has just taken out a new one.

Walkabout May 8th 2008 4:54 pm

ok sorry, let me be more specific....it is now impossible to get a 100% mortgage.

dingbat May 8th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 6324375)
ok sorry, let me be more specific....it is now impossible to get a 100% mortgage.

That is a good thing...isn't it?:confused:

Elaine B. May 8th 2008 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 6324436)

I should think so.

I remember telling my boss, who's a real estate lawyer here in Toronto that 100% mortgages were very common in the UK and he was very surprised. Most people here would put down 5% at the very least.

Walkabout May 8th 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 6324436)

not if youre trying to sell your house to one of these houses for cash outfits.

bandit May 8th 2008 8:39 pm

The times when 100% - 105% mortgages in the UK being freely available, is thankfully no longer.

I htink frankly if you need to borrow that much money, it was a sure sign you really werne't fit to get a mortgage in the first place.

In the UK, you are still able to get mortgages, but yes, things have got tougher. In fairness, it will stop alot of the people getting on the property ladder that actually cannot afford it.

Good Luck with your house swap!

Bx

LizaJane May 8th 2008 9:46 pm

Hi,
We have a nice big house with 5 bedrooms, large garage, gardens near good schools etc. Probably a shot in the dark but is anyone prepared to consider a house part exchange/swop? We would consider any areas in Australia but preferably Brisbane of Melbourne. As you may know, the housing market has stalled here in the UK so we have to get creative as the banks are not giving out mortgages. This would make it near impossible for anyone returning here to get on the housing ladder. PM me for more details.

sure you don't fancy New Zealand, we have 5 beds, study, 3 baths etc 3acres 10 mins outside of Hamilton???

LizaJane May 8th 2008 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by LizaJane (Post 6325675)
sure you don't fancy New Zealand, we have 5 beds, study, 3 baths etc 3acres 10 mins outside of Hamilton???

where are you?

LizaJane May 8th 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

sorry question attached to wrong post before oops...Walkabout, where are you?

Walkabout May 8th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by LizaJane (Post 6325683)
sorry question attached to wrong post before oops...Walkabout, where are you?

We are in a village called Billinge near Wigan Lancashire a rather beautiful area.

LizaJane May 8th 2008 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 6325696)
We are in a village called Billinge near Wigan Lancashire a rather beautiful area.

so would you consider new zealand?

Walkabout May 9th 2008 7:20 am

Originally Posted by LizaJane (Post 6325872)
so would you consider new zealand?

Hi LizaJane, Your place sounds very nice but infortunatly it is a non starter as our visas are for Australia only, im sorry.

LizaJane May 9th 2008 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 6327111)
Hi LizaJane, Your place sounds very nice but infortunatly it is a non starter as our visas are for Australia only, im sorry.

nevermind worth a try, good luck in your search.

Walkabout May 11th 2008 10:15 am

I have had a pm from someone who is confused so let me clarify. We are looking to permanently exchange, part Exchange our house in a place called Billinge near Wigan, Lancashire with someone in Australia. All areas considered but preferabley Brisbane or Melbourne. This would enable a quick move for both parties in view of the housing market stalling in both countries and aliveate the need for large price reductions for a quick sale by either vendor. We were looking for a straight swap, the higher value property to recieve the cash balance which ever side that might be. We are negotiable on the price as long as you are. Here is a link to our property sale on Rightmove, being advertised at the moment.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

Here is a link to a video that I found on YouTube showing Billinge and the area. This is not my own work but it gives a good feel for the place. Please feel free to pm me with any interest

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9hgnzPBDQ

Thanks Carl