Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back - perhaps!

Originally posted by yorkshirerose
Thanks for the info - I get it now!
I am planning on getting us both UK passports too. I was going to register him before 16 anyway.

Yes, he was born in Vancouver.

Thanks again.

Hi

I look over at you! We live in Heritage Hills and look across the lake to you in Kaleden! Oh weird is that? How long have you lived in the Okanagan?

JJ
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back - perhaps!

If you're his mother and you were born (or naturalised) in the UK yourself, then registration is probably not necessary. In that situation, he's been a British citizen since birth.

Best to get it all documented and sorted out sooner rather than later though, it will make it easier for him later on. And as I said, if you find that registration is required, the age limit is often 18.

Jeremy

Originally posted by yorkshirerose
Thanks for the info - I get it now!
I am planning on getting us both UK passports too. I was going to register him before 16 anyway.

Yes, he was born in Vancouver.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Sorry to hear you're not liking it in Canada. However, most of the things you cite surely would have been obvious had you done a little more research before you decided to go live there?

Namely:

Originally Posted by gem
We leave in June/july and just wondered what makes others leave Canada.We live in Toronto. Here are our reasons: (not in any order)

love travel, very expensive here and not enough hols.

no sense of humor, it just goes over their heads

weekend/winter what do you do? We ski and board, but some weekends just to cold.

everything is so far for a little trip. etc live in London take your pick of places to travel to, for the day.

TV 100's of channels and not a shite on, and we pay of lot of money for the shite

winter to long, you just don't see anyone. Canadian's make out they ski, hike etc, I work with 40 people and they all run home to tv and eat - boring. But you cannot say this, as you get it ALWAYS rains in the UK. It is expensive, yada, yada Only 2 people have been to the UK! yes 2. So, I say, just to wind them up, yeh'it always snows in Canada

long work hours, 'I am my work' outlook

fashion, walk around the eaton centre, same old, same old. As for men's shoes! do they realise it is 2004

manners, I get into the lift in the morning, does anyone know the words 'good morining'- with feeling

pushy sales people. All they think of is a sale. Greedy bas#ards

no choco, chipy, real roast diiners.........

gem
Suze
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

please tell me there is some sense of humour in Canada? heh
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Phil&Kirsteen is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, we Canadians have a sense of humour! - just not a British one. (Mind you, I always assumed that was because we're not British. Is it just me or is that kind of logical?)
And as for customer service - Dear Lord!! I defy anyone to spend a Saturday at the Glades in Bromley and not come away firmly believing that customer service has died a long, slow horrible death.
Mind you, I shouldn't complain - this thread has actually been quite educational. Here I was thinking (because all my British friends who have never been to Canada think this) that I'm an American wannabe. But instead I'm a UK wannabe! I feel very proud - we Canadians are all things to all people! (and run our foreign policy on that basis as well, I believe)
Must dash, am off to thank my British father for immigrating to Canada 40 years ago...
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:32 am
Just Joined

yorkshirerose is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm heading back from the Okanagan in BC to Otley West Yorkshire on December 7th. Not sure how long I'm staying. It's very stressful winding things down here - all the banking stuff, all the people to tell. I've sold my car, sold my business, I just have to rent out my home.

I got my National Insurance # sent to me really quickly from the UK so that's in place. I have a place to live when I get there, very close to my sister and her hubby - I LOVE Otley - so close to the Dales. I'm going to be helping to take care of my Mum and Dad as Mum has Alzheimers and Diabetes.

Yes it's beautiful here, however, I was talking to a Hungarian cafe owner here and she said for anyone coming from another country, with family still there, they can totally understand that 'our souls are in two places'. That perfectly summed it up for me! Thought I'd pass that along.

Anyway, I have to find out about shipping a few boxes over, so I'm going to search this board.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by yorkshirerose
Well I'm heading back from the Okanagan in BC to Otley West Yorkshire on December 7th. Not sure how long I'm staying. It's very stressful winding things down here - all the banking stuff, all the people to tell. I've sold my car, sold my business, I just have to rent out my home.

I got my National Insurance # sent to me really quickly from the UK so that's in place. I have a place to live when I get there, very close to my sister and her hubby - I LOVE Otley - so close to the Dales. I'm going to be helping to take care of my Mum and Dad as Mum has Alzheimers and Diabetes.

Yes it's beautiful here, however, I was talking to a Hungarian cafe owner here and she said for anyone coming from another country, with family still there, they can totally understand that 'our souls are in two places'. That perfectly summed it up for me! Thought I'd pass that along.

Anyway, I have to find out about shipping a few boxes over, so I'm going to search this board.
hi!
Like the quote about, the 'souls being in two places', just read your post and good luck to you. I have felt this for sometime about moving home!..just wondered if you would have moved back anyway? I have been thinking of this and have been looking into getting my NI card and NHS card... Do you have to pay any fees to get your NI card sent to you in BC? and is there any fees for having the card. We are in Ontario. and I have never had a NI card as i was 3 when we came over from UK. thanks for any info.
cheers Deana
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'm glad you like the quote. I lived in the UK until I was 23. However, here is the info for NI#'s:
Centre for Non Residents, Room BP1301, Benton Park View, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ
Phone: 011-44-191 22-54746
It's thru Inland Revenue.
I just phoned them and gave them as much info as I could about my working life there. They did a search and just mailed me a letter with my number - no fees, no fuss and really quick!
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

LegB4Wicket is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gem
We leave in June/july and just wondered what makes others leave Canada.We live in Toronto. Here are our reasons: (not in any order)

love travel, very expensive here and not enough hols.

no sense of humor, it just goes over their heads

weekend/winter what do you do? We ski and board, but some weekends just to cold.

everything is so far for a little trip. etc live in London take your pick of places to travel to, for the day.

TV 100's of channels and not a shite on, and we pay of lot of money for the shite

winter to long, you just don't see anyone. Canadian's make out they ski, hike etc, I work with 40 people and they all run home to tv and eat - boring. But you cannot say this, as you get it ALWAYS rains in the UK. It is expensive, yada, yada Only 2 people have been to the UK! yes 2. So, I say, just to wind them up, yeh'it always snows in Canada

long work hours, 'I am my work' outlook

fashion, walk around the eaton centre, same old, same old. As for men's shoes! do they realise it is 2004

manners, I get into the lift in the morning, does anyone know the words 'good morining'- with feeling

did some night classes, what a joke. The teacher's english was a joke. O.K some of the students are heading the ball and missing it, but they are there to learn.Did I get A's, say no more

Are you a Aus/S. African/Kiwi No I say, then they ask me, are you sure.Because you sound like one. So, I say are you a yank, they say no, I reply 'are you SURE because I can't tell the difference between Canadian's and Yank' Silence - it is golden

pushy sales people. All they think of is a sale. Greedy bas#ards

no choco, chipy, real roast diiners.........

We like:

the space, trails, outdoor pools, because the winter is so long it forces you out on thoses really sunny days. bril

the nice summer's without to much rain

cheap to eat out

tim horton's

feels safe. even with the recent gun crime. canadian's are not bad people etc if you fall in the street they will help you up.

can't think of anything else we will miss. So, come on and give your replies

gem

While I have spent most of my life in Canada (moved here when I was 8 or 9) and my parents forced me to become a citizen when I was 15, I am also thinking of moving back home.

As for the reasons why, I cannot really explain fully. Here is my list.[list][*]I feel very homesick yet I have not visitied Britain in over 10 years[*]I am disenchanted with my job but not my career (from what I have been reading, my skills are in demand in Britain)[*]I find Canadians to be too defeatist and unwilling to take chances[*]The general unfriendliness and poor manners of Canadians [*]High taxation yet poor government services (except if you are homeless, an aboriginal or a member of a visible minority group) [*]A lack of Canadian culture and pride and poor 'quality of life'

To be positive, however, my parents and my brother still live in Canada, I do have many friends here, I enjoy cold winters (seriously), Canada is beautiful and vast country and the relatively inexpensive cost of living.

I'm 32, single, renting a flat, have few if any debts (not much money saved on the other hand) so I do not really have much too loose one way or the other.

Despite my long absence from Britain, I feel less Canadian everyday. I read English newspapers online before I read ones from Canada. I care more about England than I do Canada.

I've been contemplating leaving for several years but I have become so jaded recently that I think I'm really ready for the jump.

Anyone else feel the same way as I do?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Yes, I feel very similar. If you've read my post earlier you'll see I'm heading back on the 7th December. I live in BC in the Okanagan and one of the things I miss the most is the ability to be somewhere interesting, alive and cultural in a very short time. To get anywhere here you have to drive far with nothing in between. I find the town I live in to be very architecturally deficient!!! Yes there are two beautiful lakes, but because it's so hot, it is brown and dry!! I feel very English even though I've been here 24 years. I was in England 3 times just last year and didn't want to come back each time.
Anyway....here's to a new start.......
Take a chance.....
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yorkshirerose
Yes, I feel very similar. If you've read my post earlier you'll see I'm heading back on the 7th December. I live in BC in the Okanagan and one of the things I miss the most is the ability to be somewhere interesting, alive and cultural in a very short time. To get anywhere here you have to drive far with nothing in between. I find the town I live in to be very architecturally deficient!!! Yes there are two beautiful lakes, but because it's so hot, it is brown and dry!! I feel very English even though I've been here 24 years. I was in England 3 times just last year and didn't want to come back each time.
Anyway....here's to a new start.......
Take a chance.....
As my parents live in the Fraser Valley and my brother lives in the Kooteneys so I know your area of BC very well. In fact I had to catch my flight back to Toronto from Kelowna (via Calgary) a few weeks ago. You're right, it is a beautiful area but .....

Anyway, best of luck in England. Christmas is the time of year I miss most. Proper roasts, plum pudding and real beer.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket
While I have spent most of my life in Canada (moved here when I was 8 or 9) and my parents forced me to become a citizen when I was 15, I am also thinking of moving back home.
Do you think you lost anything by becoming a Canadian citizen?

Jeremy
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you think you lost anything by becoming a Canadian citizen?

Jeremy
I might have been a little too harsh.

At the time I really did not have a choice in becoming a Canadian citizen. I was just told to take the oath and shut up. I think that is/was my largest gripe.

I didn't really lose anything.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

I might have been a little too harsh.

At the time I really did not have a choice in becoming a Canadian citizen. I was just told to take the oath and shut up. I think that is/was my largest gripe.

I didn't really lose anything.
I think you were being a little harsh

A few months ago in Australia, a 16 year old in Tasmania (a Canadian, as it happens) got a mention on the Citizenship Minister's website for doing his own Australian citizenship application without waiting for his parents.

While it does sound like you do need a few years overseas, being cut off from Canada is something you might have regretted otherwise, eventually. Those who work in the immigration industry regularly come across the sad tales of those who abandoned Australia/Canada/NZ without taking citizenship and find themselves unable to return.

Living in the UK may confirm your views about Canada, or it may change them. If you say you've little to lose - try it out.

After spending time in the UK (or maybe as an alternative to the UK) you could be adventurous - maybe try somewhere else in Europe, look at the US (NAFTA visa) or go through the immigration hoops for Australia or NZ.

Jeremy
Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:54 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

[*]I feel very homesick yet I have not visitied Britain in over 10 years[*]I am disenchanted with my job but not my career (from what I have been reading, my skills are in demand in Britain)[*]I find Canadians to be too defeatist and unwilling to take chances[*]The general unfriendliness and poor manners of Canadians [*]High taxation yet poor government services (except if you are homeless, an aboriginal or a member of a visible minority group) [*]A lack of Canadian culture and pride and poor 'quality of life'
To be honest LBW, I would say your first reason is your best. Many people who are leaving the UK are citing the same reasons for going as you are for returning.

- I don't know about your job so I can't comment on your skills.
- Brits can be unwilling to take chances too, I find it frustrating here.
- Bad manners, and unfriendliness, plenty of it here in London.
- High taxes here, nothing much to show for them either.
- British culture now is so diverse, where do you start. As for quality of life, people commuting for 2hrs plus each way to get jobs as they can't afford to live where they work.

I'm planning to head to Canada, but I have no illusions that it's a utopian place, but one different from the UK. I would say please don't think that the UK is the picture post card one, you may be disappointed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.