Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Old Jul 10th 2004, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone in Canada heading back to the UK

Originally posted by joggerjo
Hi

We went up to your neck of the woods for the first time this year, we liked it and I especially liked Salmon Arm. Have you been in Armstron/Canada long?

JJ
Hi......been in Canada 40 years came by myself at age 20, Worse day of my life standing on the Boat leaving Liverpool dock and my Mom and Dad waving goodbye.
I lived in Vanc\Maple Ridge for 20 years and 20 up here in Armstrong I love it here people are the best........
What do you do in Penticton ?
Old Jul 10th 2004, 6:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you are keen to return to Canada, then pay careful attention to your PR status and don't stay away too long (as it will expire if you don't meet the residence obligation).

It is possible for PR to expire even before the validity period on the PR Card is up.

Jeremy

Originally posted by daisymoll
We rented in Canada, and were only there for just over a year, so perhaps with hindsight we did move away too soon.

We are definitely thinking of returning to Canada, to try another area as we just cannot afford a house here at all and it just doesn't seem as though prices are going to come down at all.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 4:44 am
Just Joined

james_tester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're moving from Vancouver to UK

All the comments here are valid & as I think I read you aren't alone. He're my pro's 'n' cons for BC.

Pro's
Environment - awesome!
Size housing
Recreation (six rec centres in an area where in UK your lucky top get one!)
Medical
Liveable City
(Superficially) friendly people

Con's
There really are too many too list but I'll try.
Wooden shacks for houses that rot by the day
Just ridiculously high property tax!
NO I"M NOT SODDING AUSTRALIAN!
Zero racial integration
99% of Canadians know nothing about a country they purport to want to maintain a link with despite the British in BC, the Queen on the notes etc.
Worst driving on the planet - When will Ontario UK driving licence recog get here! (yeh Japs & Koreans get a licence but Brits don't-they don't even know what yield means-I know I teach them!)
Bank charges
Speed of shop service
NO idea what customer service means.
Your qualifications and experience don't count in Canada - "our standards are so much higher!!" (Its just the biggest lie on the planet!)
West coast laid back is a myth-the people here are WAY more uptight than most people in the UK and that's saying something!
RIDICOULOUSLY high car insurance and only ONE insurer (ICBC)
After a while the scenery's ALL the same - zere's no eskape!
Anal alcohol attitude (but you can smell weed everywhere)
Food is dearer than UK, choice is appalling, and most of it seems to have been frozen!
The only real money here is immigrant money - I've never met so many people who'll turn you face down to make buck and then try to shake your hand
ZERO consumer protection - I've got a whole list to prove it
Everybody I've met here (loads) who says that they never experienced any of the above.
Tacit acceptance, "That's the way it is"
Luddite attitude of most Brits who've been here so long they don't know what Thatcher did for the UK

OK That's enough yo get the idea.

We are looking forward to going back despite the oft cited negatives and know that we DO fit in society instead of feeling like an outcast and know that we can laugh at ourselves every day in our good old British fashion.

I will miss it here though and as a Canadian citizen I guess I might just retire her someday despite all!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: We're moving from Vancouver to UK

Originally posted by james_tester
All the comments here are valid & as I think I read you aren't alone. He're my pro's 'n' cons for BC.

Pro's
Environment - awesome!
Size housing
Recreation (six rec centres in an area where in UK your lucky top get one!)
Medical
Liveable City
(Superficially) friendly people

Con's
Zero racial integration
99% of Canadians know nothing about a country they purport to want to maintain a link with despite the British in BC, the Queen on the notes etc.
Worst driving on the planet - When will Ontario UK driving licence recog get here! (yeh Japs & Koreans get a licence but Brits don't-they don't even know what yield means-I know I teach them!)
Bank charges
Speed of shop service
Your qualifications and experience don't count in Canada - "our standards are so much higher!!" (Its just the biggest lie on the planet!)
West coast laid back is a myth-the people here are WAY more uptight than most people in the UK and that's saying something!
Food is dearer than UK, choice is appalling, and most of it seems to have been frozen!
The only real money here is immigrant money - I've never met so many people who'll turn you face down to make buck and then try to shake your hand
Everybody I've met here (loads) who says that they never experienced any of the above.
Luddite attitude of most Brits who've been here so long they don't know what Thatcher did for the UK

We are looking forward to going back despite the oft cited negatives and know that we DO fit in society instead of feeling like an outcast and know that we can laugh at ourselves every day in our good old British fashion.

I will miss it here though and as a Canadian citizen I guess I might just retire her someday despite all!

This bloke just came back from the Uk and wasnt a happy chappy to say the least.

http://www.canada.com/victoria/times...5-070be9dfa0b8
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:37 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We're moving from Vancouver to UK

Originally posted by james_tester
Con's
Zero racial integration
Bank charges
Speed of shop service

I get the idea: you're into hyperbole.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

flower6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a USC and my husband is a UKC. Were moving back to the USA in a couple of months. My husband says theres nothing to do here and jobs are hard to find and house prices are through the roof! Butttt....I know what you everyone means about canada. I've been to Toronto 3 times and although I thought it was pretty I wouldnt want to live there. One of those places where, I like to visit but wouldnt want to live, there kind of places. I'm from southern Ohio and there is so much to do there. Winter or summer there is tons of stuff. Canada is a 6hrs drive from my home town and we call canada UK wantabes. lol Try as they may they never will be nor will anyone else. But I havent met a UKC yet that has liked canada. Here in the UK people always ask if I'm from ireland and canada. lol I say neither! USA! Everyone says your accent is so different from the US accent we here. I blame that on TV. They say yours is so lovely. lol The accent we hear in the USA is all london. My husband is from yorkshire and his is so different then what I have always heard. I dont even hear accents anymore they have just all blended into one. It has been some what hard to adjust to here. I miss 24hr stores, fast food, drivethrough everything, restraunt and shop employees that wait on you hand and foot, chatty people, where I come from people love to talk, hot weather and summers that last forever, snow, cheap petrol and cigs, everything at my finger tips, rental property that comes with mixer taps, dishwashers, wall to wall carpeting, and heat and water paid by landlord and 24hr. maintence, just mention a few. What I'm miss about the UK is incredible landscape and countryside and the mass amount of history and castles, and being able to walk to places easily and all the public transportation. Its all what your use to I guess. What you grow up with and what you feel you need to substain your life.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by flower6
Butttt....I know what you everyone means about canada... Canada is a 6hrs drive from my home town and we call canada UK wantabes. lol Try as they may they never will be nor will anyone else. But I havent met a UKC yet that has liked canada.
Earth to flower6,

??? Canadians are UK wantabes? What a totally bizarre comment! Just what galaxy have you seen Canada from?

Gee, there are lots of ex-pat Brits on the Canadian forum who enjoy living in Canada.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 25th 2004 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

flower6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasnt saying anything bad about canada, I have been and thought it was lovely, I was just saying what I have heard and what UKC I have talked to have said to me. UKC told me it was to much like the UK and that is why they moved back to the UK. I have heard that one a dozen times. So I was just repeating what I have been told nothing else. I'm sure there are tons of UKC living in canada and loving every min of it! I use to hear USC in the US always saying that canada is UK wantabes. I dont think they meant that in a bad way. And I think it was a compliment to the UK. Anyway if it wasnt for the UK there would be no USA,Canada,NZ or OZ, as least as we know them today.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

yorkshirerose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back - perhaps!

Well, this is a very timely and interesting thread!

I MIGHT be moving back to Otley, Yorkshire in a few months.

I moved to Canada in 1980 as a young adult. Lived 2 years in Toronto - it really was a pain there! Then moved to Paradise - the west coast - Vancouver first and since 1986 the Sunny Okanagan.

My son is now 13 and he will be coming with me.

However, I still have my mum and dad and sister and her hubby over there. Mum's ill and even though I went over 3 times last year I miss them like mad. Does anyone else agree that the older we get the more homesick we get??? Or is it just me? I miss Yorkshire and the dales like mad. I love it there. We have incredible weather and lakes here but that's not everything is it.

Anyway...is it expensive to move household stuff (NOT furniture)? Anyone recommend someone in BC?

Oh and remember that nothing is permanent, nothing is ever carved in stone, so I can always move back!!!! (I'm not going to sell my home - just rent it out). I certainly won't be able to purchase a house in the UK - the prices are bonkers!!!!!!

Cheers

Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back - perhaps!

Originally posted by yorkshirerose

I moved to Canada in 1980 as a young adult. Lived 2 years in Toronto - it really was a pain there! Then moved to Paradise - the west coast - Vancouver first and since 1986 the Sunny Okanagan.

However, I still have my mum and dad and sister and her hubby over there. Mum's ill and even though I went over 3 times last year I miss them like mad. Does anyone else agree that the older we get the more homesick we get??? Or is it just me? I miss Yorkshire and the dales like mad. I love it there. We have incredible weather and lakes here but that's not everything is it.

Anyway...is it expensive to move household stuff (NOT furniture)? Anyone recommend someone in BC?

Oh and remember that nothing is permanent, nothing is ever carved in stone, so I can always move back!!!! (I'm not going to sell my home - just rent it out). I certainly won't be able to purchase a house in the UK - the prices are bonkers!!!!!!

Cheers

Hi

Whereabouts in the Okanagan are you?

A fairly good company is Williams Moving International, they have an office in Kelowna.

JJ
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Great!

Thanks JJ:
they are only 1 hour away - I'm just south of Penticton in Kaleden.

I'll give them a call for a quote.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I may repeat myself - but once again, if you've not got Canadian citizenship then be *fully* aware of the new rules on retaining residency in Canada.

So many long resident British people in both Canada and Australia lose their PR through not paying sufficient attention to the rules for keeping PR (and not taking citizenship, which creates the problem).

Jeremy

Cheers

Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip. However, I am a Canadian Citizen. What does PR stand for? I'm brand new to this forum.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:04 am
JAJ
Retired

PR = Permanent Resident, or landed immigrant. You must have been one before you became a Canadian citizen.

Your son is Canadian by birth (assuming he was born there). He should also be a British citizen by descent - has he got a British passport? It's worth documenting these things as sometimes registration is necessary before age 18.

As Canadian citizens you have the right to stay away from Canada as long as you like while keeping your rights to return to Canada anytime. Permanent residents/landed immigrants do *not* have this freedom.

Jeremy

Thanks for the tip. However, I am a Canadian Citizen. What does PR stand for? I'm brand new to this forum.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info - I get it now!
I am planning on getting us both UK passports too. I was going to register him before 16 anyway.

Yes, he was born in Vancouver.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.