Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone any good at maths ?

Wikiposts

Anyone any good at maths ?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:53 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone any good at maths ?

Found this by way of an explanation:

http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers...d=25007;comm=0

but.... dudes word GHOSTS was in a pyramid G (x1) at the top and S (x6) at the bottom and we were not told which path we could take. Hubby still insists the answer is 720
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:15 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

If you can only move directly down one line, or down one line and one letter to the right, each letter has only two places to go to: 2^5=32

QED, but nutty if you don't know the rules.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Given that my kids are doing the Fibonacci sequence in 5th grade right now,
Wow... I don't think my kids start foreign languages until 7th.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:22 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! DH won't let this go - insisted I ask the teacher whether dude wrote the problem down correctly so here is my e-mail and teachers reply:

I was wondering if you could tell us whether or not ***** wrote down
the maths challenge properly this week. I know he missed out the part
about the answer being 2 digits. My husband is still insisting the
answer is 720 LOL ! If nothing else it has started a huge maths
debate in the house.

I would have to see his weekly challenge paper to know if he copied it correctly. I will look at it today. There is a doubling(powers of
2)pattern. Every time you add a letter to the word, the number of words
in the triangle doubles. Ghosts is a 6 letter word so the number of
ghosts is 2 to the 6th power which is 64. I will discuss this again
with ***** today. I think he was reading something into the problem
that made it a lot harder then it was. I actually told them the answer
was 32 because that is what the author of the problem said it was. But
he says it is 2 to the 6th power and in my calculation that is 64. Glad
to see this is really challenging. That is what I want them to do.

Errr so....is it 32 or 64 ???????
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
OMG! DH won't let this go - insisted I ask the teacher whether dude wrote the problem down correctly so here is my e-mail and teachers reply:

debate in the house.

I would have to see his weekly challenge paper to know if he copied it correctly. I will look at it today. There is a doubling(powers of

well at least it looks like the teacher is just as confused as everyone else!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:31 am
Chocoholic !

I am starting to have my doubts about the local school district in general check out this e-mail I sent the other day to our local High School and read the reply very carefully:

My name is *** and I have a child, *** who is
in Grade 5 at ***. I have had a couple of phone
calls recently saying that a child of mine has missed 1 or more
periods of class. I am thinking that perhaps someone else has my
telephone number on their file as *** is not at High School and has
no way of skipping class even if he wanted too. Could you check your
records - our telephone number is ***.

I will look into it and take care of it, sorry for the incontinence.

What a shi**y reply LOL !
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to have my doubts about the local school district in general check out this e-mail I sent the other day to our local High School and read the reply very carefully:

You pay peanuts...you get monkeys.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

OMG that's classic
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

To add to that recently my 1st grader brought home some work he had done in class. He had listed some of his favourite things, on it he had put Legos which had been corrected by his teacher to Lego's
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You pay peanuts...you get monkeys.

Hi Jersey.
Great British saying, I got really really really, told off for using that in USA.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey.
Great British saying, I got really really really, told off for using that in USA.

Reg. Frank R.
Hi Frank.

My husband offended a guy at work when he said he was sending a shot across his bows. I dread to think how it was translated.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

debate in the house.

...and then they wonder why they have to import real scientists and mathematicians like me!

What a farce. The teacher clearly has no idea whatsoever. Is she a dedicated Math teacher, or a general homeroom teacher?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank.

My husband offended a guy at work when he said he was sending a shot across his bows. I dread to think how it was translated.
Sensitive bunch.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:40 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank.

I'm confused, what do you think it means?

I understand it to mean, "Heave to or I will blow you out of the water".
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I'm confused, what do you think it means?

I understand it to mean, "Heave to or I will blow you out of the water".
Clearly that will cause offence if they expected you to blow them in the water!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.