Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight day

Started at 5:30 am

I kept waking up every couple of hours, needing to check the time to see if flight day had arrived. Like a kid waiting for Christmas to start.

We still had our dog walk. I used about half an hour to get all the dog fur out of the rental car before returning it.

We are having a coffee and cake break. There's another lesson: build in time for breaks. The practical steps of moving are busy but straightforward. I find the emotional side more tiring. I try to focus on the remaining tasks but things like seeing the house emptying, finishing our last dog walk here or even seeing sights around the city all provoke memories and thoughts. I know that happens for relocations even within Britain, but it feels more final, so more magnified leaving a country.

Break over. I must now use Tardis technology to squash 4 bags worth of stuff into the 3 bags I have. The 2nd bag is costing an extra $70, and the 3rd over $200. I could have kept a 4th bag in reserve, but I thought it would be cheaper just to dump clothes and buy new ones back in Britain.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anybody waiting to move back: Lessons learned

We are packed. Everything squashed into the 3 bags with clothes squeezed into the corners of the holdalls.

We now have 2 hours before Boomerang arrive to collect Nyla and her crate. We will have a light lunch then clean the bathrooms.

I also need to call my mobile phone company. I bought a roaming data pack so I can continue posting when we arrive. I tried to add voice and text too, but to do that the company has to remove some restriction but there was a problem removing the restriction because of the plan I am on. I think I'm on the cheapo plan in which "mobile phone" means I can carry the phone around but my ability to actually use it for communication drops off rapidly as I move away from the house.

Feeling a lot more relaxed now. The thought "We're leaving. Why are we leaving?" popped up a couple of times as I walked around the empty rooms.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Ready to fly

Cleaned bathrooms and kitchen. Rubbish bags out. 15 minutes before Nyla goes.

Disconnecting the internet.

See you on the other side.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of

Oh your so lucky, we are just thinking and researching about going back right now, so much to do and think about, it's so daunting, but i just keep telling myself to focus hard on getting back, that's the main thing, to focus on the task ahead! Good luck and i'm sooo jealous that you are almost there!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Default Nyla ready to fly

Karen from Boomerang just sent me this photo of Nyla ready to fly.

http://www.petegosling.com/main/photos/Nyla/flight.jpg
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Deans is an unknown quantity at this point

Wishing you both a safe journey, please keep posting after you arrive I'm really enjoying reading your thread
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:47 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Bless her heart! She looks well cared for!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Aww she's such a little trouper! I'm guessing you two are nearly here by now, happy landings to both of you
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Wagaress is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete, I loved reading this thread, thank you!
I'm from the UK but live in Calgary also. I'm hoping to move my husband and two kids home to England with me. It's so daunting!
I hope you got home safely
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Default Landing Day

Nyla had no problems at all flying. Now in Devon. Nyla seems determined to sniff every inch of this mysterious new green land.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Day

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Nyla had no problems at all flying. Now in Devon. Nyla seems determined to sniff every inch of this mysterious new green land.
Excellent! Enjoy the Devon countryside! It is still in the minus twenties here. I am sooooo envious of you!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

So great to hear Nyla and you made it safe. Nyla's going to love all those country walks. Best of luck!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Day

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Lovely to hear your together, I remember picking up our "little girl" from the airport like it was yesterday lol and nearly 4 years on she is still sniffing every (and I mean every lol) blade of grass when we go for our walkies. All the best
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home Pete & Nyla, enjoy those walks! When are you two going to the pub?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Charell is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed reading your posts. Glad you arrived safely. I am curious as to how you get on back in the UK after 14 years away. I am heading back this June after 22years away in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.