Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anybody Gone Home With Nothing?

Anybody Gone Home With Nothing?

Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody Gone Home With Nothing?

Originally Posted by dunroving
That kind of attitude will never get the economy growing again.
sigh. You're absolutely right. Best go to Walmart yet again and buy more useless crap
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:48 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The larger your "rainy day" fund, the more choices you have when you lose your job, have a marriage breakup, have to get out of the country because there's a revolution etc.
You better hide it well because if it's "divorce" it won't be "your" rainy day fund.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
You better hide it well because if it's "divorce" it won't be "your" rainy day fund.
True!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I did.

In October 1990.

Slept on various acquaintances' sofas & or floors for 6 months.

NO benefit eligibility (did not expect any, either). Got temp job 3 days after arriving back which was enough to feed me, not to pay rent.

Temped for 6 months in various cities, then got a job with accommodation & dire wage *in France*.

It can be done, but it is soul destroying. And be prepared to be hungry (literally).

20+ years later, after 16 years in Canada, I am preparing to do the same; BUT with family network and help when I get there.

The suggestions of finding a job with accommodation are good, but be aware that many (except farm labouring) such jobs require experience and references.

Also, getting a bank account ain't easy if you go back with nothing, vicious circle sort of thing : need an income to open account; need account to get paid...

Basically, it can be done, if you are willing to pick up ANY kind of job (washing dishes, casual labouring, etc), but somewhere to crash is primordial.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about

You should be able to open a bank account for here just by banking with HSBC overseas and then opening one here online. It is SO much easier to arrive here with a working debit card and credit card.

More important for work though would be , if you weren't 16 when you first went overseas, to apply for a national insurance number online.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
No its the lawyers. Have you ever noticed how the most important thing. In fact i would say 'numero uno' for an initial divorce meeting with attorneys here is asset logging. This should really be 'tagged' as asset searching by all the relevant attorney parties involved to see exactly how much they have available to tap into. Very important from their perspective as it defines their tactical approach.

Think I am wrong. Try this experiment go to two similar status free initial consult attorneys in your town. With the first disclose your assets and with the other state you have none. See if the advice matches, I doubt it very much.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:55 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
No its the lawyers. Have you ever noticed how the most important thing. In fact i would say 'numero uno' for an initial divorce meeting with attorneys here is asset logging. This should really be 'tagged' as asset searching by all the relevant attorney parties involved to see exactly how much they have available to tap into. Very important from their perspective as it defines their tactical approach.
Agreed, the lawyers aren't there to help or to come to a reasonable solution, they are there to make money - the more sh!t they create (and create it they do), sending dumb ass emails back and forth and numerous phone calls that result in ziltch, the longer it goes on and the more fees the charge. They are a waste of flesh.

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Think I am wrong. Try this experiment go to two similar status free initial consult attorneys in your town. With the first disclose your assets and with the other state you have none. See if the advice matches, I doubt it very much.
It's always the dead beat ex that ends up with the most in the end as the one that actually has a job and is basically supporting two households always has to pay all the court costs as well. Been down that road and can tell you that lawyers and courts are just a waste of time and money.

Good thing for me is that my kids are getting old enough to undersatnd it all and starting to question the ex and catch her in her little lies - PRICELESS.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite lawyer joke/visual which I have trotted out to many lawyers here. endearing me to them of course Is to casually drop into conversation that an old friend of mine once told me lawyers are so low that you can practically tee a golf ball off the top of their heads. Then to follow up and ask where they would like their own personal pack of Titleist or MaxFli golf balls sent