Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any positive stories of moving back to the UK?

Any positive stories of moving back to the UK?

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

bambooistasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any positive stories of moving back to the UK?

I came back after 6 years and loving it! Too busy to sit and blog about it though. I must say the UK is a decently big place, if you don't like one bit you can always go to another bit.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
So yes its just a selfish search for confirmation that if we do move back from the UK from NZ after 13 years that we might be making the right decision. SO yes just looking for any positive stories as there are plenty of negative ones on here but my thoughts are that you are more likely to come on here when things are going bad than got come on here and sing out how great everything is.

I could be wrong but please, if anyone has one please feel free to share it
Our family was in NZ for 6 years. We originally came from the midlands and when I started to talk about wanting to return that was the only thing he wanted to change. We had to return somewhere else.
I actually think that can be helpful as your not going back, your starting a new adventure.
So we watched Location location, spotted North Yorkshire and moved to a small town near Harrogate.
We contacted a school while in NZ, we found a house to rent with our dog on Rightmove and rented it from NZ.
I have not one regret, I love it here.
Good luck with everything
Old Apr 4th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Very Happy to be back in the UK, I do not regret our time in Aus but we are glad to be "home" again.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BtotheR
So yes its just a selfish search for confirmation that if we do move back from the UK from NZ after 13 years that we might be making the right decision. SO yes just looking for any positive stories as there are plenty of negative ones on here but my thoughts are that you are more likely to come on here when things are going bad than got come on here and sing out how great everything is.

I could be wrong but please, if anyone has one please feel free to share it
I think for many, possibly myself, having made the big move abroad it is only a matter of time before some get itchy feet again. They have even identified a 'Wanderlust' gene:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...o-you-have-it/
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I/we get ichy feet we either hop on a train or in the car and visit our lovely Island or just book a flight and visit Europe, I have no wanderlust to live permanently overseas again, I just now enjoy a good holiday somewhere different and that is fine by me.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
If I/we get ichy feet we either hop on a train or in the car and visit our lovely Island or just book a flight and visit Europe, I have no wanderlust to live permanently overseas again, I just now enjoy a good holiday somewhere different and that is fine by me.
Well said, that is exactly how we feel.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

uaemanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any positive stories of moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Our family was in NZ for 6 years. We originally came from the midlands and when I started to talk about wanting to return that was the only thing he wanted to change. We had to return somewhere else.
I actually think that can be helpful as your not going back, your starting a new adventure.
So we watched Location location, spotted North Yorkshire and moved to a small town near Harrogate.
We contacted a school while in NZ, we found a house to rent with our dog on Rightmove and rented it from NZ.
Can I ask how you rented the home whilst being in new zealand? I am in the UAE and am planning to go back to the UK in june to sort a place on rent as I am applying for a spouse visa... any tips?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 8:12 am
Just Joined

ChrisHT is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess there is no silver bullet, everyone’s different and has different reasons for going back, see a post here though that suggests Citizenship which is good advice and something we have done as a backstop, also to give our daughter the freedom to return freely should she wish...can’t wait get back personally to family/friends etc and next adventure!Good luck to you either way!
Old Apr 29th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

TXBRIT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrisHT
Guess there is no silver bullet, everyone’s different and has different reasons for going back, see a post here though that suggests Citizenship which is good advice and something we have done as a backstop, also to give our daughter the freedom to return freely should she wish...can’t wait get back personally to family/friends etc and next adventure!Good luck to you either way!

Hi, I moved back here after eighteen years in the USA. Positives? NHS is better than Obamacare but its days may be numbered. Temperate climate compared to Texas. Thats about it. Ten years of austerity measures have changed all aspects of the UK and its a different country to the one I left in 1999. I constantly compare prices and end up feeling ripped off quite often. After ten months back here, I feel that I have made the wrong decision. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by TXBRIT
Hi, I moved back here after eighteen years in the USA. Positives? NHS is better than Obamacare but its days may be numbered. Temperate climate compared to Texas. Thats about it. Ten years of austerity measures have changed all aspects of the UK and its a different country to the one I left in 1999. I constantly compare prices and end up feeling ripped off quite often. After ten months back here, I feel that I have made the wrong decision. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Thanks TXTBRIT - not quite the positive story I was hooping for but good to hear of another persons experience. Thinking about it you left in the late 90's when the UK was booming economy wise, opportunity wise, music wise etc etc - the old girl will surely rise again, just takes time. I think the best piece of advice offered on here and certainly reminded me was that if your not happy in one part of the UK try another, there is plenty of variety. Lots of crap spots but also lots of awesome spots too
Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Thanks for sharing this Spacecake Great story to hear and Harrogate is beautiful. We are wanting to be in or as close to the Lake District as possible - just have to see how it goes. But everytime we watch Location it makes the desire even more so to get back. Thanks again for sharing