Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any Information on Claiming Benefits?

Any Information on Claiming Benefits?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Information on Claiming Benefits?

my experience 10 years ago meant i got nothing, I was widowed at 31 and returned to the UK after only 11 years away, i had 2 children 1 who is disabled and all the time i was away I paid voluntary NI contributions. I got nothing from the state never have and have WORKED all the time and finally got myself on my feet. I do feel for OPs friends situation but do not want my taxes which are huge (40%) paying for someone else when I got nothing! sounds selfish well I had to do it why shouldnt he, this country is not a freeloaders paradise and I am sadened and angry that people think it should be-drives me mad!!!! I and my 2 kids -both under 5 were registered homeless but because we could not prove habitual residency I worked like I feel that others should. I now have a good job but did allsorts when I got back to house and feed my precious little family, what happened to pride?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Information on Claiming Benefits?

Originally Posted by gettingthere
my experience 10 years ago meant i got nothing, I was widowed at 31 and returned to the UK after only 11 years away, i had 2 children 1 who is disabled and all the time i was away I paid voluntary NI contributions. I got nothing from the state never have and have WORKED all the time and finally got myself on my feet. I do feel for OPs friends situation but do not want my taxes which are huge (40%) paying for someone else when I got nothing! sounds selfish well I had to do it why shouldnt he, this country is not a freeloaders paradise and I am sadened and angry that people think it should be-drives me mad!!!! I and my 2 kids -both under 5 were registered homeless but because we could not prove habitual residency I worked like I feel that others should. I now have a good job but did allsorts when I got back to house and feed my precious little family, what happened to pride?
I think this country is a freeloader's paradise. Like you, I have never claimed benefits or been unemployed (other than very short periods during college holidays while looking for a summer job - and even then, I didn't claim - in fact, one summer job I had was working in the dole office!).

My SIL's brother, on the other hand, has been on the dole for over 30 years, claiming every benefit known to man, working taxis on the side, fencing stolen goods, sueing the council for a torn cartilage (injured playing football, but said it was due to an "uneven paving slab"), gets free housing, the works.

It seems to me that hardworking folks who find themselves temporarily in a bind should be helped out by the state (funded by my tax dollars - sorry, I mean pounds!), rather than those who have no intention of ever getting permanent employment. If someone has worked hard and saved hard, why should they whittle away at their savings until it's all gone before getting a leg-up?

I'm sorry you got nothing when you returned, it doesn't seem right, but is that reason that someone else should be similarly mistreated?