Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

USUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really nice
Default Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

Hi there,
We have been researching flights to Manchester from JFK or actually Bradley Int'l Airport in Hartford (now services UK, with stop over in Newark I think,).
We are 2 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant. TAXES are killer!
The best I could come up with for round trip is $2000-$2100 for the whole family.
Anyone know of another good deals, and tricks to getting cheaper prices?
I've been directly to the airline websites, but also tried all the discount ticket websites as well. All the same prices.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

If you don't mind a one-stop flight instead of non-stop, it can sometimes work out cheaper.

Have you considered the Irish national airline, Aer Lingus? You just change flights at Dublin or Shannon but it's a quick hop to the UK mainland from Ireland (Birmingham airport - BHX might also be convenient for you?):

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...line/index.jsp

Iceland Air often has special offers during the year but you might need/prefer to take an internal UK flight with one of the budget airlines eg.Easyjet, British Midland between Glasgow or Heathrow to get to Manchester.

http://www.icelandair.com/

It could be fun if you have the time or inclination to have a day or two as a stopover in Ireland or Iceland....

Just remembered: when Honeymommy returned to the UK she got amazing deals on flights (Virgin Atlantic) with 1-800 Fly Europe - their car rental division is Auto Europe. She got the best prices by phoning them rather than booking it online:

http://www.1800flyeurope.com/

Also you could get the Sunday edition of the New York Times and look at the small ads in the Travel section; not so well known in the US but common in the UK are what is known as 'bucket' shops aka 'consolidators'. It's where the airlines dump their tickets on unsold seats for the consolidators to sell off cheap. They're usually restricted though in regards to changes to the tickets once issued. Just do a google search for ' air ticket consolidators + new york city'.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 6th 2007 at 6:12 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

USUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really nice
Default Re: Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you don't mind a one-stop flight instead of non-stop, it can sometimes work out cheaper.

Have you considered the Irish national airline, Aer Lingus? You just change flights at Dublin or Shannon but it's a quick hop to the UK mainland from Ireland (Birmingham airport - BHX might also be convenient for you?):

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...line/index.jsp

Iceland Air often has special offers during the year but you might need/prefer to take an internal UK flight with one of the budget airlines eg.Easyjet, British Midland between Glasgow or Heathrow to get to Manchester.

http://www.icelandair.com/

It could be fun if you have the time or inclination to have a day or two as a stopover in Ireland or Iceland....

Just remembered: when Honeymommy returned to the UK she got amazing deals on flights (Virgin Atlantic) with 1-800 Fly Europe - their car rental division is Auto Europe. She got the best prices by phoning them rather than booking it online:

http://www.1800flyeurope.com/

Also you could get the Sunday edition of the New York Times and look at the small ads in the Travel section; not so well known in the US but common in the UK are what is known as 'bucket' shops aka 'consolidators'. It's where the airlines dump their tickets on unsold seats for the consolidators to sell off cheap. They're usually restricted though in regards to changes to the tickets once issued. Just do a google search for ' air ticket consolidators + new york city'.

Hope this helps!
Wow! I guess I asked in the right place, thank you for the info,
Awesome. I will check out those places...(as my 7 month old sucks on my arm, we call him "kicky, grabby, chewy".)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Good Deals on Flights to UK in May??

do a search in the US forums too as people have posted links to sites that have cheap flights like kayak.com etc