Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any child-expats, grown up now, and moving back to the country they came from?

Wikiposts

Any child-expats, grown up now, and moving back to the country they came from?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any child-expats, grown up now, and moving back to the country they came from?

I think I'm actually quite happy being back. I was 24 1/2 years old when I left and came back 24 1/2 years later. Difference is though I came back financially (well, was) sound. That meant I could now do what I want. Now I do what I love working from home. Only trouble is it can be a bit lonely so I have to ensure I try and join in things outside the home.

I have mixed feelings about going back. The reasons for coming back no longer apply, so I do think about going back occasionally but I really went over to live in Scotland in the first place but ended up in England all that time. I fell in love with Greenock when I was over on holiday last year and if I went back that's where I'd love to be now. It's on the coast but so close to a big city, good transport to the city.....easy to get away to somewhere hot. That's where I'd really love to be!!!

What I have here which would be hard in the UK, is a home big enough to run a business from. I only lived in a 1-bed flat over there and I dont' see how I could do that going back. I'd be uneasy taking on a mortgage for a bigger place.

And then again it's taken me 3 years to build up my business here and I'm still working on building that every day. Do I really want to start all over again......and I hate the thought I lost all those years of tax-free savings plans which made it possible to live over there.