British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Any Canadian Banks Operating In UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/any-canadian-banks-operating-uk-947453/)

Skynyrds Innyrds Mar 17th 2023 3:57 pm

Any Canadian Banks Operating In UK?

I am considering moving to the UK (I have British citizenship so no need to apply). I haven't lived there since I was a child so have no banking or credit history there. I was wondering if there are any Canadian banks that have retail banking services in the UK (ie. not just for business or investment customers)?

I know HSBC operates in both countries and can make it easy to switch when moving. Amex also makes it easy; if you have one of their credit cards you simply exchange it for one in the new country. But are there others?

I am wondering because it would obviously be easier to move over if you already have a relationship with the bank, if your current credit score can be taken into account (HSBC does this), etc.

Pulaski Mar 17th 2023 4:29 pm

Re: Any Canadian Banks Operating In UK?

No.

You can find addresses for the big Canadian banks in London, but they are only there to serve large corporations, not retail customers.

durham_lad Mar 17th 2023 8:40 pm

I believe Chase Bank has operations in Canada?

Our daughter has been a customer of Chase Bank USA for many years and when she moved to England last year she opened an account with Chase Bank UK. It literally only took her an hour sitting on the couch in our living room after downloading the Chase UK app. She could not do it before she left the USA. No proof of UK address was required, just asked to state that she was UK resident and provide address. (She was staying with us and used our address)

Transfers between Chase US and UK is not easy like it is between HSBC US and HSBC UK but she uses Wise to great effect to move funds to her Chase UK account from her US account.

robin1234 Mar 18th 2023 12:17 pm

Doesn’t Toronto Dominion (TD Bank,) have retail banking services in UK?

Pulaski Mar 18th 2023 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13180492)
Doesn’t Toronto Dominion (TD Bank,) have retail banking services in UK?

Everything I can find online points to TD in UK/Europe being corporate/ commercial only.

Skynyrds Innyrds Mar 19th 2023 3:15 am

It looks like HSBC is the way to go.

Reidies Mar 19th 2023 11:54 pm

FYI We received notification from HSBC Canada back in November that they were selling to RBC, but I’m not sure when or if it’s still going through.

Originally Posted by Skynyrds Innyrds (Post 13180626)
It looks like HSBC is the way to go.

durham_lad Mar 20th 2023 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Reidies (Post 13180751)
FYI We received notification from HSBC Canada back in November that they were selling to RBC, but I’m not sure when or if it’s still going through.

They did similar in the USA, switching all their non-Premier accounts to another bank, that insisted on a US mobile number for verification codes.

Benson55 Jul 5th 2023 12:40 am

I researched this as well and found there are none. So, I opened a Wise account as its multi currency with a UK bank address and sort code and its great.

Pulaski Jul 5th 2023 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Reidies (Post 13180751)

HSBC is apparently selling its Canadian branches at the end of 2023.