British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anxious but nervous about moving back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anxious-but-nervous-about-moving-back-725269/)

dylanboyd Jul 17th 2011 10:37 pm

Anxious but nervous about moving back

I am currently living in the Mid-west USA and have been for the past 2 years. My wife and I have struggled for decent work here in the States, not been able to relocate out of hicksville rural America. The reason we came to the Mid-West was to be closer to my wife's family (now in their upper 80s).

We both have 6 degrees between us but have just met rejection after rejection so my wife (an American/British citizen) decided to look for work back in the UK. She started to get interviews which was more than she was getting here. She flew back and forth to the UK two times but did not get the job. Finally we decided that she would spend the summer over in the UK to attend further interviews. She has two coming up. I am still in the States mainly because we are renovating a house and I have to get it finished before we can sell it. We also have all of our belongings here that we haven't really unpacked since we shipped them over here 2 years ago.

I am wanting to go back as I don't feel that this is home. The people are different, it's like I am on a different wave length and communicating is hard. The food sucks and everything seems to be built on possessions and wealth. Everyone constantly shops and most of it is junk. It hasn't been at all bad, we have gained some professional development and seen the world from a different perspective. I just hope I can return to the UK and fit in and most of all be happy.

Mummy in the foothills Jul 17th 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Anxious but nervous about moving back

:fingerscrossed: heres hoping your wife gets one of the jobs she's interviewing for and you can both head home very soon.
Oh and Welcome to the moving back section of our little board.

CalgaryPete Jul 18th 2011 1:49 am

Some of my friends living in the UK are happy, so it's definitely possible! I am planning to move back, and I admit I am more anxious about moving back than I was about moving to Canada in the first place. I think it's because I've had more time to think about moving back. One good thing, is that we don't have to apply for residence when we move home!

the troubadour Jul 18th 2011 3:08 am

Good luck on your return. Certainly sounds like you are making the best decision all round.

Although materialism has become increasingly in evidence in the UK since the eighties it is still not on the same level as the New World where it at times appears to be the reason for being alive.
So have a feeling for what you refer to.

Face81 Jul 18th 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by dylanboyd (Post 9501511)
I am currently living in the Mid-west USA and have been for the past 2 years. My wife and I have struggled for decent work here in the States, not been able to relocate out of hicksville rural America. The reason we came to the Mid-West was to be closer to my wife's family (now in their upper 80s).

We both have 6 degrees between us but have just met rejection after rejection so my wife (an American/British citizen) decided to look for work back in the UK. She started to get interviews which was more than she was getting here. She flew back and forth to the UK two times but did not get the job. Finally we decided that she would spend the summer over in the UK to attend further interviews. She has two coming up. I am still in the States mainly because we are renovating a house and I have to get it finished before we can sell it. We also have all of our belongings here that we haven't really unpacked since we shipped them over here 2 years ago.

I am wanting to go back as I don't feel that this is home. The people are different, it's like I am on a different wave length and communicating is hard. The food sucks and everything seems to be built on possessions and wealth. Everyone constantly shops and most of it is junk. It hasn't been at all bad, we have gained some professional development and seen the world from a different perspective. I just hope I can return to the UK and fit in and most of all be happy.

As someone who attempted to remotely job hunt in the UK from Dubai, while putting in regular weekly trips in the hope of securing something, I can honestly say that the only way to land a job here is to be on the ground, showing your head hunter contacts and potential employers that you are committed to the move and the job.

When I finally took the plunge (last August) and moved here (without a waiting job), it took all of two weeks to get back in to employment :-)

Single here, with three degrees, so I know the feeling of joy when you get a job offer!!!!

Let me know if you need any help or recruitment consultancy contacts :)

dylanboyd Jul 23rd 2011 3:08 am

:) Thanks for all the support. I have just found out that my wife was offered 2 jobs on the same day at two different places. I guess our hunch was right, I think somehow our qualifications are geared to what the UK needs; it seems so much harder in the US and your qualifications don't seem as valuable, just my thought anyway. Next step, I need to get this house renovation done so I can sell the house and join my wife in the UK. First meal, a full English breakfast! The bacon sucks here!

Mummy in the foothills Jul 23rd 2011 6:41 am

Originally Posted by dylanboyd (Post 9513184)
:) Thanks for all the support. I have just found out that my wife was offered 2 jobs on the same day at two different places. I guess our hunch was right, I think somehow our qualifications are geared to what the UK needs; it seems so much harder in the US and your qualifications don't seem as valuable, just my thought anyway. Next step, I need to get this house renovation done so I can sell the house and join my wife in the UK. First meal, a full English breakfast! The bacon sucks here!

Wow how wonderful, that will make the move easier for you both. Get renovating and sell up I hope it doesn't take long.

shelley748 Jul 23rd 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dylanboyd (Post 9513184)

Thats great news- so happy for you!!

charleygirl Jul 28th 2011 8:32 pm

Dylan, great news on the wife's job offers, what area of UK is she in.
And best of luck with everything.
It warms the heart to read of people going home...