British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anti Depressants, how many of you (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anti-depressants-how-many-you-543490/)

Baby75 Sep 20th 2008 9:41 am

Re: Anti Depressants, how many of you

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b (Post 6802439)
glad i found this thread. Only been here over 2 months and feel like im sliding into depression, i really dont want to go back on anti=ds , i was on cipralex before for pdn and it took me ages to wean myself off them due to the withdrawal effects. Any suggestions for keeping it at bay naturally?

Hello :) Im here just over 3 months and have wondered the same i had PND after my second son but was very very lucky and recovered very quickly Ive only had a baby 4 weeks ago Tuesday and this was a major fear esp as i am very home sick have been for a while now and it did escalate just before I had the baby im doing ok now bad days and good

I think just saying your feeling down is a step forward keep talking to your OH or if you like PM me i dont really know of other ways has any one ever tried acupuncture or homeopathic remedies just popped in to my head there

hopefully someone else will have better tips :wub:

quoll Sep 20th 2008 10:33 am

Exercise is supposed to be pretty good at charging the endorphins and lifting your mood. Failing that some of the psychotherapies are very good. Personally I prefer Cognitive Behaviour (CBT) Strategies and I use them all the time when the going gets rough. I have recently come across another therapy which looks as if it has potential - Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT Therapy) - there is a good book out there called The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris which is worth a read, otherwise you can see what it is all about by searching for those terms. You dont have to take antidepressants, there are behavioural alternatives. There are also some good books by Michael Yapko on how to beat depression without medication.

Sandra Sep 20th 2008 12:10 pm

A help I find is meeting up, have you found some expats in your area who know how you feel? Just a chat and laugh can help.

I am due down in Adelaide in a couple of weeks working mid week and will be hoping there are some daft sods like me who want to meet mid week to chat.

I live in Sydney but have been working in Brisbane for six months mid week and I get together with some other expats on a Tuesday night - no joke when I say they keep me sane and safe.

Try the meet board here or on other sites and see what is around, or start your own thread to meet?

When I get my details for travel times and location I will put a thread up to see if there is any chance of like minded ejeeits. Sounds brave of me but not really I need the contact to stay sane :)

Stay brave

Merseygirl Sep 21st 2008 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 6802984)
A help I find is meeting up, have you found some expats in your area who know how you feel? Just a chat and laugh can help.

I am due down in Adelaide in a couple of weeks working mid week and will be hoping there are some daft sods like me who want to meet mid week to chat.

I live in Sydney but have been working in Brisbane for six months mid week and I get together with some other expats on a Tuesday night - no joke when I say they keep me sane and safe.

Try the meet board here or on other sites and see what is around, or start your own thread to meet?

When I get my details for travel times and location I will put a thread up to see if there is any chance of like minded ejeeits. Sounds brave of me but not really I need the contact to stay sane :)

Stay brave

I would love to meet up with any expats from this site who are in Adelaide and are going through difficult times, as I am myself. I know there are a few of us on this site and are a bit spread out north and south (I am in Flagstaff Hill). Maybe a meet up in the city would be a good idea as it would be central..