Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Wikiposts

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti Depressants, how many of you

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Hi
Just found this thread. I've been on happy pills for the last 6/7 years - fluoxetine (prozac). I originally went on them after years of denial for delayed PND which got worse in winter and better in summer - so we thought it was SAD. I could even forget to take them in summer and still be ok, however winter I went up to 2 a day and I needed to sleep in the afternoons or I felt physically sick with tiredness. We thought that I would get better by living in Aus, but now I find I'm on them for depression! So I can either go home and stay on them for the rest of my days because of the weather and be happy, or stay here on them for the rest of my days and be miserable. No brainer really, booked the tickets, we're outta here August 6th.

I have a history of depression running through the female members of my family. Sister has it (denial), Mum had it coupled with alcohol problems, grandma had it, and was treated with electroshock 'therapy'.

Not a nice disease, but as I've found, treatable if only you will admit you have it.
Jo
I'm sorry to hear of your depression, but glad you are doing something positive to make yourself happy! Life is too short to be miserable if it can be helped. I try to identify my own triggers and learn to alter my behaviour to accomodate for stressful situations. I haven't been on any meds for about a year now which is good for me to go that long.
I was in denial with my depression and other related problems for a long time, because I didn't know how it would be received by my family, especially my mum. I then found out through long talks with her that she gets the same sorts of triggers and thought patterns. She thought it was just her and kept quiet, I thought it was just me and also kept quiet. We believe that my Grandmother also has problems but she doesn't speak of them and covers them up, not very well however, she has alienated herself from the family and her behaviour became upsetting.
It is more common than we all realise, no one likes to talk about it because it is exposing that vulnerable part of ourselves and we feel embarrassed, which isn't easy to overcome.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

While the anti depressants have been marvellous in keeping me sane (kind of LOL!) I feel I have lost my get up and go. I do feel tired a lot and I have more of a "can't be bothered" attitude which is not really like me. Maybe you could call it apathy?

Does anyone else find this?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
While the anti depressants have been marvellous in keeping me sane (kind of LOL!) I feel I have lost my get up and go. I do feel tired a lot and I have more of a "can't be bothered" attitude which is not really like me. Maybe you could call it apathy?

I felt like that from time to time when I was on Carbamazepine, and it was usually a sign that my dosage needed altering.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

I am the same on my tablets and feel thats I am probably not on the correct dosage and it will get altered very soon I suspect.

Its a horrid feeling though ah, not having any get-up-and-go when I am so use to being active.

Plants
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:28 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Paxil seems to be giving me a bit of get up & go back but then i have only been on it for a short time. A number of people report experiencing the apathetic feelings you describe but then I guess anti-d's (especially those that also treat anxiety symptoms) are intended to make one less bothered about things so they don't stress us out as much..
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:52 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. I keep telling OH I just want to go home so I can start the rest of my life and get on with it. Buy a nice home to do up etc, get settled. Here.....I fell like I'm living in "limboland".....I'm waiting to go because I just know I never want to settle here - no matter how bad the UK is perceived by some people.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:55 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PLANTS
I am the same on my tablets and feel thats I am probably not on the correct dosage and it will get altered very soon I suspect.

Its a horrid feeling though ah, not having any get-up-and-go when I am so use to being active.

Plants

Does anyone take Luvox? That's what I've been given.

It took me a whole year before I went to the docs. I didn't want "happy" pills - I'd seen my ex-neighbour on them and that put me off!! Another reason I didn't want them - I thought it would make me like it here and not want to go home!!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice

Really interesting thread- it takes a lot for me to post these days but this one really struck a cord.
I was on paxil for 4 years and had tried several times unsuccessfuly to come off them. Then I graduated from uni (in psychology ) and my partner and I decided to emigrate to oz so I pretty much went cold turkey to get off them as fast I could- all pretty awful but survived. I remember not wanting it on my medical that I was on medication and at the time thinking I might get refused my visa because of it (stupid I know).
Anyway I managed to come off them- we got the visas- weve now been in Oz for 10 months... and we go home next week Theres been times Iv thought to myself if only I was still on the pills I might have coped better/might not be so home sick/might not be going home so early. The biggest thing I noticed coming off paxil was my confidence took a massive nose dive and I started feeling emotions a hell of a lot stronger- needless to say this didnt help with moving to a new country! I know theres a bit of debate about whether anti-d's 'numb' you- everyones different- I know I certainly felt a lot stronger when on them. I feel more real off them though, if that makes any sense, its a strange feeling to describe.
Anyway just wanted to add to the conversation- i like hearing peoples stories- theres something comforting about being able to identify with people in the same boat (or getting off the boat as the case may be).
Im off to look up David Burns 'Feeling Good Handbook'- might come in handy for the flight ahead X
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:20 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amy0stevie
Really interesting thread- it takes a lot for me to post these days but this one really struck a cord.
I was on paxil for 4 years and had tried several times unsuccessfuly to come off them. Then I graduated from uni (in psychology ) and my partner and I decided to emigrate to oz so I pretty much went cold turkey to get off them as fast I could- all pretty awful but survived. I remember not wanting it on my medical that I was on medication and at the time thinking I might get refused my visa because of it (stupid I know).
Anyway I managed to come off them- we got the visas- weve now been in Oz for 10 months... and we go home next week Theres been times Iv thought to myself if only I was still on the pills I might have coped better/might not be so home sick/might not be going home so early. The biggest thing I noticed coming off paxil was my confidence took a massive nose dive and I started feeling emotions a hell of a lot stronger- needless to say this didnt help with moving to a new country! I know theres a bit of debate about whether anti-d's 'numb' you- everyones different- I know I certainly felt a lot stronger when on them. I feel more real off them though, if that makes any sense, its a strange feeling to describe.
Anyway just wanted to add to the conversation- i like hearing peoples stories- theres something comforting about being able to identify with people in the same boat (or getting off the boat as the case may be).
Im off to look up David Burns 'Feeling Good Handbook'- might come in handy for the flight ahead X
Ooh, cold turkey from paxil-you were brave!! I read many horror stories about the withdrawal and kept mine in the kitchen cupboard for 3 months before I gave in and started taking them. I cant really remember how I felt before the D (it's about 5 years since I felt "real") so it has been a Godsend for me just feeling a bit perky again I will happily take them forever if they keep working as well as they are doing currently.

It might indeed have been better for you to have stayed on them for your transition between countries as even people without an existing condition can suffer such emotional turmoil.

I am definitely feeling better about being here now-they haven't made me want to stay forever or like it any better but instead have made me more accepting & relaxed about being here for as long as I am.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Ooh, cold turkey from paxil-you were brave!! I read many horror stories about the withdrawal and kept mine in the kitchen cupboard for 3 months before I gave in and started taking them. I cant really remember how I felt before the D (it's about 5 years since I felt "real") so it has been a Godsend for me just feeling a bit perky again I will happily take them forever if they keep working as well as they are doing currently.

It might indeed have been better for you to have stayed on them for your transition between countries as even people without an existing condition can suffer such emotional turmoil.

I am definitely feeling better about being here now-they haven't made me want to stay forever or like it any better but instead have made me more accepting & relaxed about being here for as long as I am.

Good luck!
I did it very silly- I waited until my last prescription ran out so there were none in the cupboard, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.
Reading your post I really envy you - to be honest id choose perky over real anyday
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB

Good luck!
Same here, i've been back on for a few months and I definitely feel a lot better. It has taken the edge off the wanting to go back, but does it make us apathetic?

I am nowhere near as negative as I was the past year. Even OH (who was vehemently against me going back on them) says I am a much calmer person to be around. I am able to appreciate the good rather than just focusing on the bad.

Pleased to hear things are a bit more pleasant for you Jools
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amy0stevie
I had to laugh about your graduation (in a nice way) .... how many of us here have done psych?!!!!

You were definitely brave to come off cold turkey. I've tried before but the withdrawal is so heinous that I had to go back on and come off slowly. I agere with Jools that coming off to coincide with emigrating could have impacted on your experience - it's a rollercoaster as it is!

I recommend the Feeling Good Handbook, am just about to reread it and actually do the exercises this time! Good luck with your move back.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh about your graduation (in a nice way) .... how many of us here have done psych?!!!!

You were definitely brave to come off cold turkey. I've tried before but the withdrawal is so heinous that I had to go back on and come off slowly. I agere with Jools that coming off to coincide with emigrating could have impacted on your experience - it's a rollercoaster as it is!

I recommend the Feeling Good Handbook, am just about to reread it and actually do the exercises this time! Good luck with your move back.
Yup, well known fact that we psychs are nuttier than the general population (not sure if it is true now but it always used to be said when I was a student that there were more suicides per head of psychologist population than any other occupation!)

Can I also recommend The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris - also if you can get to any of his workshops for therapists he is great! I was always a CBT kind of gal and still linger there but ACT Therapy is right up there with my strategies now.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:17 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, well known fact that we psychs are nuttier than the general population (not sure if it is true now but it always used to be said when I was a student that there were more suicides per head of psychologist population than any other occupation!)

Can I also recommend The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris - also if you can get to any of his workshops for therapists he is great! I was always a CBT kind of gal and still linger there but ACT Therapy is right up there with my strategies now.

I agree with this. My best chum's father is a fairly emminent psychiatrist here in Melbourne. He is a crazed fruitloop who has given his daughter a hell of a childhood and I despair that he makes decisions on people's lives.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:13 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I've heard about this book and other people who have quit smoking after reading it -- or even before they got to the end! I haven't read it myself.

I know I'm a bit late joining the party, but just wanted to say Mr Oldbag and I stopped smoking after reading this book..............that was April 1991; haven't wanted a cigarette since. It's the best £6 I ever spent. I then bought copies for friends who wanted to quit, and they all did, bar one. Get a copy and read it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.