Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Anti Depressants, how many of you

Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:46 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anti Depressants, how many of you

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
..are taking anti depressants since you emigrated?

I was just scrolling through and was shocked to read someone in OZ is having to take Anti Dees to get through her days, she's so desperate to go back home but can't...awww now that is heartbreaking.

It got me wondering if it's something that's happening to more people!
Great Question !! In the two+ years I have been in Spain - I'm quite shocked at how many people admit to taking them - seems the people I thought were 'got themselves together' are relying on AD's. So how many don't talk about it ?

Most started in the UK before coming out and are still taking them - So have they relaxed - Is life here more stress free or are these people just unable to beat it ??
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Great Question !! In the two+ years I have been in Spain - I'm quite shocked at how many people admit to taking them - seems the people I thought were 'got themselves together' are relying on AD's. So how many don't talk about it ?

Most started in the UK before coming out and are still taking them - So have they relaxed - Is life here more stress free or are these people just unable to beat it ??

Why on earth do you think that living in a foreign country would be less stressful

G
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bollocks

Most depressed people in the UK now recieve CBT as the treatment of choice.

ECT is getting pretty rare....why are you posting such crap?

It is still used - just not well publized.

We did weekly treatments in the Psychiartry hospital - a foundation Trust. had a total of 10 - 15 out-patients. Also I was the Manager for East Midlands and Yorkshire Section 12 (2) Approvals - Certification for all Psychiatrists ( http://www.section12agwsha.nhs.uk/section123.html) and had monthly training sessions on such techniques.

It has also been refined from what it was decades ago. It is used for extreme cases.
here is a quick SAMPLING of Trusts offering it:
http://www.awp.nhs.uk/templates/Page____728.aspx

http://www.nelmht.nhs.uk/woodburyunit.html

http://www.beh-mht.nhs.uk/newsroom/p...editation.shtm

http://www.berkshirehct.nhs.uk/docum...ine34Mar07.pdf

http://www.bdct.nhs.uk/search.php?cx...&sa=Search#277

http://www.leicspt.nhs.uk/xform.asp?...100&zoom_and=0

This is the one i worked at:

http://www.rdash.nhs.uk/patientdetai...&MenuBar_ID=10

I used to have a stack of these in my office to hand out:
http://www.rdash.nhs.uk/documents/pa...T549%20ECT.pdf

ECT is offered at most larger Psych Hospitals. There are 74 Mental Health Trusts in the UK and while I would like to prove my point there is not point going over board.

Take the time to read the forms i used to have in my office...they will explain things a hell of alot better than i did. The Psych i worked for wrote them, so they may be a little bias on the nicy nicy side of life. I left the job - because i could no longer look the patients in the eyes when they came out of the ECT suite.

Also once a person is sectioned they lose basic rights - the Psychiatrist on their case chooses treatment for the most part. We had a case where (not ECT) a girl was gang raped. She was sectioned and the psychiatrist decided whether or not she was to terminate the resulting pregnancy - she had no say in the matter - because it was part of her treatment.

Last edited by needasmack; Jun 21st 2008 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I was on Carbamazepine 600mg for a while back in the UK, mood stabilizers, they were ok but not brilliant. They helped with depressive mood swings, but they left me feeling drowsy and groggy.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Yes I went on the Prozac within about 6 months of being here due to living with mother in law (former nurse & kindy teacher so of course knew EVERYTHING lol) for 10 months with our two little ones. Ex husband was out of work for 7 of those months. It was hell on earth and we split up about six months after moving out; the relationship was not strong enough to survive the whole emigration process.

Now, 8 years later, after much resistance have finally succumbed to another bout of anti depressants (Zoloft) as I had been getting bad bouts of depression for the past few years over the inability to go home (more a feeling of being trapped against my wishes than anything I think). I am on a very low dose but I do feel less despair than I did before and moods definitely more even. My Dr (lovely lady) also referred me to a shrink to try and get my head around another 8 years or so stuck in Redneckland.
I totally sympathise (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Hi BB-not you as well (we should all start a club!). Thats the annoying thing-you never know which ones are going to turn you into a raving looney & which might do the trick.

Have you not heard the UK's most shocking news-that Fern's fat loss was die to gastric banding and not her consumption of Ryvita minis!!??
Fern Britton lost weight?!?!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needasmack
It is still used - just not well publized.

We did weekly treatments in the Psychiartry hospital - a foundation Trust. had a total of 10 - 15 out-patients. Also I was the Manager for East Midlands and Yorkshire Section 12 (2) Approvals - Certification for all Psychiatrists ( http://www.section12agwsha.nhs.uk/section123.html) and had monthly training sessions on such techniques.

It has also been refined from what it was decades ago. It is used for extreme cases.
here is a quick SAMPLING of Trusts offering it:
http://www.awp.nhs.uk/templates/Page____728.aspx

http://www.nelmht.nhs.uk/woodburyunit.html

http://www.beh-mht.nhs.uk/newsroom/p...editation.shtm

http://www.berkshirehct.nhs.uk/docum...ine34Mar07.pdf

http://www.bdct.nhs.uk/search.php?cx...&sa=Search#277

http://www.leicspt.nhs.uk/xform.asp?...100&zoom_and=0

This is the one i worked at:

http://www.rdash.nhs.uk/patientdetai...&MenuBar_ID=10

I used to have a stack of these in my office to hand out:
http://www.rdash.nhs.uk/documents/pa...T549%20ECT.pdf

ECT is offered at most larger Psych Hospitals. There are 74 Mental Health Trusts in the UK and while I would like to prove my point there is not point going over board.

Take the time to read the forms i used to have in my office...they will explain things a hell of alot better than i did. The Psych i worked for wrote them, so they may be a little bias on the nicy nicy side of life. I left the job - because i could no longer look the patients in the eyes when they came out of the ECT suite.

Also once a person is sectioned they lose basic rights - the Psychiatrist on their case chooses treatment for the most part. We had a case where (not ECT) a girl was gang raped. She was sectioned and the psychiatrist decided whether or not she was to terminate the resulting pregnancy - she had no say in the matter - because it was part of her treatment.
I worked in the system for over 40 years.......as a therapist treating depression.

You can not extrapolate from what happened in one secure hospital that the treatment of depression in the whole UK relies on ECT.

It is now very rare and not generally used as a treatment for depression.....which is what you implied when you said:

"Be thankful you are not having this problem in the UK"

The UK is far ahead of most countries in the treatment of Mental health (certainly way ahead of the USA and Australia).

The treatment of choice is now CBT or ADs or a combination of both

G

Last edited by Grayling; Jun 22nd 2008 at 8:45 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in the system for over 40 years.......as a therapist treating depression.

You can not extrapolate from what happened in one secure hospital that the treatment of depression in the whole UK relies on ECT.

It is now very rare and not generally used as a treatment for depression.....which is what you implied when you said:

"Be thankful you are not having this problem in the UK"

The UK is far ahead of most countries in the treatment of Mental health (certainly way ahead of the USA and Australia).

The treatment of choice is now CBT or ADs or a combination of both

G

Were you a psychotherapist G?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Were you a psychotherapist G?
Yes

A Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist.....still am

G
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

A Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist.....still am

G
How interesting! Do you rate David Burns' book (think it's the 'Feeling Good Handbook'?

I was actually thinking about switching across to a Psych degree from my current one; I've always found it fascinating. But not sure about the 6+ years of study and whether, given my history (depression running in the family etc), whether I would be suitable for that field. Or does that better prepare you? What do you think? Be honest.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:38 am
Bitter and twisted

How interesting! Do you rate David Burns' book (think it's the 'Feeling Good Handbook'?

I was actually thinking about switching across to a Psych degree from my current one; I've always found it fascinating. But not sure about the 6+ years of study and whether, given my history (depression running in the family etc), whether I would be suitable for that field. Or does that better prepare you? What do you think? Be honest.

Not a book I am familiar with.

Why not switch degrees?

A history of depression would be no hindrance.....if anything it would add insight and empathy.

I know a number of professionals, in the field, who first became interested after experiencig mental health problems themselves.

G
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Not a book I am familiar with.

Why not switch degrees?

A history of depression would be no hindrance.....if anything it would add insight and empathy.

I know a number of professionals, in the field, who first became interested after experiencig mental health problems themselves.

G
Thank you. I have always harboured an interest in human behaviour and thought about going into it but suspected my personal experience might discount me.

Anyway, you know what they say about everyone who goes into psych is f-ed up themselves!

Have you found it a satisfying profession? I promise last question LOL!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Yes and no.

Therapy is satisfying.....the politics is not.

It can also be hard work and, with some people, very frustrating.

Currenty I am not working (as I am in the middle of my move) and am not sure if I will go back to it.

I will discuss it with you one day if you want

G
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes and no.

Therapy is satisfying.....the politics is not.

It can also be hard work and, with some people, very frustrating.

Currenty I am not working (as I am in the middle of my move) and am not sure if I will go back to it.

I will discuss it with you one day if you want

G
Oooh, I would love that! I will buy you a proper beer in return
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:55 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I have always harboured an interest in human behaviour and thought about going into it but suspected my personal experience might discount me.

Anyway, you know what they say about everyone who goes into psych is f-ed up themselves!

funnily enough I studied psychology at uni-but dropped out after 2 years when depression 1st got me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.