Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another 'Thread Closed' ..for goodness sake!!

Another 'Thread Closed' ..for goodness sake!!

Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:09 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Another 'Thread Closed' ..for goodness sake!!

Here we go again...another thread has been closed due to 'heated' discussion

Remember...what one person loves, another hates.

We have to look at others situations and respect why some people don't want to stay in the country they emmigrated to.

People who move back home also have to appreciate the obsession and need (we know what its like because we've done it) to get to places that seem to them like paradise...OZ, Canada, New Zealand etc etc etc.

Where ever you are going and where ever you have been, give that person some respect and listen to their stories on here without prejudice.

We all want to share with others our experiences of life in another country, if you dont like what you hear move on to another thread.

Last edited by janeyray; Jul 15th 2005 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Thread Closed' ..for goodness sake!!

Originally Posted by janeyray
Here we go again...another thread has been closed due to 'heated' discussion

Remember...what one person loves, another hates.

We have to look at others situations and respect why some people don't want to stay in the country they emmigrated to.

People who move back home also have to appreciate the obsession and need (we know what its like because we've done it) to get to places that seem to them like paradise...OZ, Canada, New Zealand etc etc etc.

Where ever you are going and where ever you have been, give that person some respect and listen to their stories on here without prejudice.

We all want to share with others our experiences of life in another country, if you dont like what you hear move on to another thread.
I'm sorry, I'm going to close this thread because I don't agree with you.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm sorry, I'm going to close this thread because I don't agree with you.
Just kidding I agree with you completely. I logged onto a BRAND NEW thread yesterday that already had three pages and I was looking forward to getting involved in what was obviously a heated discussion. But dang it it was closed before I even got to read the first post!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

They spoil all our fun!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:59 am
Badge

There's no end is there Janeyray - it's like the Balkan wars.

I find as long as posts are not sensationalist or 'troublemaking' and keep things in perspective that most things can go.

I think its good that some posts get closed eventually as it all heads to critical mass and we all go to "There's a hole in my bucket dear lisa".

Agree with the live and let live thing - I feel I only have to respond if someone is plain wrong, or unfair, the rest of the time, I am quite happy to live and let live. The problem is that in the realm of balance everyone has to have a say, and not everyone can be right.

All I know is that for some Australia is the deal - but not for some - and for others the Uk is the deal. Doesn't mean that the other option is wrong for someone else. Often you'll hear me say that the UK is great - and there are bits that are perfect- but I'll also say Australia can be great - if you get it right. My pet hate is when people back in the UK 'blame' Australia - or when people in Australia blame the UK. I always found Australia pulling me from the UK, not the UK pushing me, although naturally I got fustrated in not being the place I wanted to be. Althought summer 2003 took my mind off it.

Sometimes people have a bit of a 'lash out' in moments of fustration. thats when it all goes pear shaped.

Badge

Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

JoolsG will become famous soon enoughJoolsG will become famous soon enough

Yes, I agree. I find it very frustrating when people try and judge you based on how they think they would feel in your situation. You don't know what someone else is feeling/thinking until you've walked a mile in their shoes and quite frankly even then you are not them, you are you and will probably feel completely different.

We should be more tolerant and respect others' opinions. We are in the process of moving back to the UK after having been in Canada for just over a year now. I know it is not for us but I would never presume to tell others not to do it or have a go. We are all different and will therefore have different experiences. You want to emigrate to Canada, I say go for it, you may love it, we don't but you may... At the end of the day you have to try it and experience these things first hand. There is no point getting aggressive or uptight because you don't see someone else's point of view - tolerance!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsG
Yes, I agree. I find it very frustrating when people try and judge you based on how they think they would feel in your situation. You don't know what someone else is feeling/thinking until you've walked a mile in their shoes and quite frankly even then you are not them, you are you and will probably feel completely different.

We should be more tolerant and respect others' opinions. We are in the process of moving back to the UK after having been in Canada for just over a year now. I know it is not for us but I would never presume to tell others not to do it or have a go. We are all different and will therefore have different experiences. You want to emigrate to Canada, I say go for it, you may love it, we don't but you may... At the end of the day you have to try it and experience these things first hand. There is no point getting aggressive or uptight because you don't see someone else's point of view - tolerance!!!!

Here, here! Life's too short to worry about mud-slinging and arguments on forums, but there has to be some moderation or else no one would bother posting if they knew they were going to get flamed..
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
They spoil all our fun!
Are you leaving Calgary to return to Bristol ?

We lived in beautiful Sandy Lane in Wiltshire and then moved to Caldreary.
What a shock ! Hated every minute of living in Calscary.

The only good things were being relatively close to my sister in California and being able to go to Banff, Lake Louise etc. to ski and ofcourse gorgeous Waterton (which is one of my favourite places).

But day to day life when we weren't actually going somewhere else, really sucked.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunlover
Are you leaving Calgary to return to Bristol ?

We lived in beautiful Sandy Lane in Wiltshire and then moved to Caldreary.
What a shock ! Hated every minute of living in Calscary.

The only good things were being relatively close to my sister in California and being able to go to Banff, Lake Louise etc. to ski and ofcourse gorgeous Waterton (which is one of my favourite places).

But day to day life when we weren't actually going somewhere else, really sucked.

Sunlover - We're still trying to emigrate from Bristol to Calgary. My husband is waiting for the results of a French test he took last month. We applied Nov. 2003.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Sunlover - We're still trying to emigrate from Bristol to Calgary. My husband is waiting for the results of a French test he took last month. We applied Nov. 2003.
Oooohhh sorry ! Thought that since you were on the "Returning to UK" forum that you were going back.

Have you been to Calgary in the Winter and spent some time there ?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sunlover
Oooohhh sorry ! Thought that since you were on the "Returning to UK" forum that you were going back.

Have you been to Calgary in the Winter and spent some time there ?

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. We stayed in Calgary for a week back in March and we had snow and the temp -18 degrees. It felt a bit chilly, but not as cold as I thought it would be so that was a pleasant surprise. I know that it will be completely different living there though, and I guess we'll get tired of clearing our driveway and all the other snow related stuff that happens but it's all swings and roundabouts. I bet -30 degrees is freezing though :scared: The lady we stayed with (went B & B) cooked some lovely beef for us on her deck barb-q in the snow.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

To hopefully make you feel more at ease CraftyBanshee ...

We moved to Calgary from the UK (London) over a year ago and love living here. There are so many things for our family to do whether it's winter/summer/spring/autumn.

Kananaskis country is only an hour away and provides for skiing, hiking, moutain biking etc.

Inside the city there is plenty to do, rain or shine, at the many excellent sporting facilities that Calgary offers. The list of activities for the kids is almost endless.

There is a real outdoors culture here, and it takes a very low temperature to keep people indoors and not out on the huge network of bikepaths.

We did plenty of research before we came here, although we didn't come in the winter. Yes it can be cold, but invariably it's sunny which helps.

We are all so much happier living here, people are friendly and less aggressive, there is less crime and it is a much safer environment in which to bring up children.

Selling a house in London, we were able to take our pick on where to live and chose an established neighbourhood close to downtown, So an hour each way commute has been replaced with a 15 min bike or 10 min ride on the transit.

Obviously, it's not for everyone and nowhere's perfect but we wouldn't change our decision to move here at all and we have no urge at all to move back to the UK or anywhere else (except maybe Kelowna when we retire) for that matter. Our quality of life in Canada is so very much higher than in the UK.

And to anyone who has been away from the UK for a while and thinking of going back, I would say go back and have good hard look at what's happening in the UK at present.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
To hopefully make you feel more at ease CraftyBanshee ...

We moved to Calgary from the UK (London) over a year ago and love living here. There are so many things for our family to do whether it's winter/summer/spring/autumn.

Kananaskis country is only an hour away and provides for skiing, hiking, moutain biking etc.

Inside the city there is plenty to do, rain or shine, at the many excellent sporting facilities that Calgary offers. The list of activities for the kids is almost endless.

There is a real outdoors culture here, and it takes a very low temperature to keep people indoors and not out on the huge network of bikepaths.

We did plenty of research before we came here, although we didn't come in the winter. Yes it can be cold, but invariably it's sunny which helps.

We are all so much happier living here, people are friendly and less aggressive, there is less crime and it is a much safer environment in which to bring up children.

Selling a house in London, we were able to take our pick on where to live and chose an established neighbourhood close to downtown, So an hour each way commute has been replaced with a 15 min bike or 10 min ride on the transit.

Obviously, it's not for everyone and nowhere's perfect but we wouldn't change our decision to move here at all and we have no urge at all to move back to the UK or anywhere else (except maybe Kelowna when we retire) for that matter. Our quality of life in Canada is so very much higher than in the UK.

And to anyone who has been away from the UK for a while and thinking of going back, I would say go back and have good hard look at what's happening in the UK at present.

Hi CalgaryBlade,

Glad you're enjoying life in Calgary. We can't wait to get there and immerse ourselves in Canadian life. I sent you some Karma as you're new and your post cheered me up this morning.