British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Another step on the road:daughter started uni (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/another-step-road-daughter-started-uni-773385/)

killerhales Oct 2nd 2012 10:41 am

Another step on the road:daughter started uni

We've now been back seven months and last weekend we drove our only child down to Bristol to start her university life.

Uni accomodation has certainly improved since I was in halls of residence in the 1980s! She has an en-suite room with a lot of space in a flat shared with five others. Kitchen facilities are quite good too (she is self-catered).

There were around 100 students arriving to this particular hall and everything was arranged very well with second-years in red t-shirts helping to unload cars and shift all the "stuff" our darling children had brought with them!

Clifton seems to be a great spot with a lot of eating and drinking establishments, so the social side of uni life looks to be well covered. Has anyone else on here got kids at uni...how is it going so far?

Mummy in the foothills Oct 4th 2012 4:24 pm

Re: Another step on the road:daughter started uni

It's a bittersweet day when you drop them off isn't it?
Heres hoping she has a wonderful Uni experience and you don't get the teary phone calls missing you.

Famous 5 Oct 5th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by killerhales (Post 10309599)
We've now been back seven months and last weekend we drove our only child down to Bristol to start her university life.

Uni accomodation has certainly improved since I was in halls of residence in the 1980s! She has an en-suite room with a lot of space in a flat shared with five others. Kitchen facilities are quite good too (she is self-catered).

There were around 100 students arriving to this particular hall and everything was arranged very well with second-years in red t-shirts helping to unload cars and shift all the "stuff" our darling children had brought with them!

Clifton seems to be a great spot with a lot of eating and drinking establishments, so the social side of uni life looks to be well covered. Has anyone else on here got kids at uni...how is it going so far?

Another major milestone - congratulations and I hope all goes well for your daughter.

We are immersed in all things UCAS at the moment as the October deadline is looming. With a bit of luck we might be in a similar position next year.

We are still not certain we are returning, but we are planning on that basis, so :fingerscrossed:.

quoll Oct 7th 2012 5:50 am

Hope your daughter enjoys Bristol! My DH did his degree there many years ago and thought it was pretty good (as a dedicated mature student!). So glad that things are working out well for you guys!

CEM Oct 9th 2012 8:37 am

I hope she has a great first term there. I was there with our eldest for open day a couple of weeks ago. We loved the city and, despite the course not being exactly what she wants, she's put it as one of her choices as she liked it so much. The open day was very well organised too (all the red tshirts!) which was reassuring.
I'd be interested to hear how your daughter manages the 'commute' to the university from the halls. I have doubts mine would ever be organised enough to get there on time! The setting for the halls is lovely though, isn't it? I'd be very happy for her live there.

Good luck to your daughter (and for you, it's not that long until Christmas...) ;)

killerhales Oct 12th 2012 3:15 pm

As far as the commute goes she is in halls in Clifton, so has a 10-15 min. walk to lectures. The thought of commuting from Stoke Bishop was one reason she went for Clifton!

We're only about 90 minutes away, so we will be popping down once or twice during term time, mainly to go and get a good feed somewhere as she is self-catering. Having said that she's been eating very well so far!

MaryUK1967 Jan 28th 2013 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Famous 5 (Post 10314709)
Another major milestone - congratulations and I hope all goes well for your daughter.

We are immersed in all things UCAS at the moment as the October deadline is looming. With a bit of luck we might be in a similar position next year.

We are still not certain we are returning, but we are planning on that basis, so :fingerscrossed:.

My daughters in her second year at UCLAN, loves it - so glad we came back from Perth:D

fulwood Jan 28th 2013 8:16 pm

I used to attend UCLAN when it was known as Preston Poly - good days:)