Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another Returning Back - after 22 years in the States !

Another Returning Back - after 22 years in the States !

Old Feb 8th 2022, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

MGH888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Returning Back - after 22 years in the States !

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Add Tarporley to the list. I lived in the Chester area for many years before moving to the US in ‘96. If we moved back we would definitely go back to Cheshire.
Tarporley is now firmly on the list ! It has excellent schools ... based on multiple sources, they are grading out to be some of the best ! My only pre-visit reservation is how small or remote it might be ? I was thinking of skipping if I was in a time crunch but I'll be visiting in April for sure now, so I will find out then.
Thankyou ! And if there are any other gems please don't hesitate to share.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MGH888
Thank you ! I've added Knutsford to the list for sure. Worcester (and Herefordshire) were on the initial list but being right on about 3 hours, we were looking a little closer on the first pass. If anyone has intimate knowledge of Worcerster, please share. I have never been but when I do any research online it seems to have an awful lot going for it.
I have visited Worcester quite a lot (doing reccies myself) I liked that it was a small city with good links to other cities ie Birmingham, Bristol and even Cardiff it has a number of good schools and also lovely countryside surrounding it, a huge plus for us was also the traffic which is so much better than it is in and around the Manchester/ Gtr Manchester area which has become a nightmare in the time we have been back in the UK
Old Feb 9th 2022, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tarporley is now firmly on the list ! It has excellent schools ... based on multiple sources, they are grading out to be some of the best ! My only pre-visit reservation is how small or remote it might be ? I was thinking of skipping if I was in a time crunch but I'll be visiting in April for sure now, so I will find out then.
I have visited Worcester quite a few times in my own “reccies” it is a really nice smaller city with lots of history really good schools and excellent countryside on your doorstep, there are great links to other cities ie Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff also not far from the cotswolds and there are plenty of other historic places to visit and the traffic is a doddle compared to the North West. I see you mentioned Tarporley which is a nice area though very smal,l you drive through the high street in a split 2nd, Crewe and Chester will be you nearest places for an”decent” shop etc but I personally do not like Crewe (sorry to anyone who lives there) Although I am a born and bred Manchester girl we did return at first to a let’s say a posh post code we did not settle as for us it was leafy streets but not many shops and you had to get into the car for a decent shop/entertainment which was to be fair how we lived in Australia we just did not always want to get into the car even to have a coffee etc and the traffic around the M56/M60 is a nightmare most times of the day which did not help but that’s our own personal view I suppose you really have to come and experience these “things” what might bug some does not bother others. Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2022, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant - thank you for the feedback. I'll add Belper to the places to check out and probably some others once I get a chance to fully review. ** And - super good info on the traffic. That's something I would dearly love to avoid if we can.

Interested to hear what it was about Rugby you didn't care for? I have never been and am purely going off 3rd party comments and internet research.

I'm sure I will like Chester. My reservation their is that it's 45 minutes to the inlaws but then a full 3 1/2 hours to my friends and family in Herts.

Good luck with your plans and return ... what sort of timing are you thinking?
To be honest, I can't remember what it was about Rugby I didn't like, it was just a general feeling about the place. Feel the same about Nuneaton as well. Sorry I can't be specific, so I wouldn't discount it. You may well like it.

Just wondering about areas like Ashby de la Zouche and Rutland as well.
So hard to decide.
I've thought about Cheshire too as has some lovely areas but is expensive and perhaps too many footballers and WAGS!
So hard to decide where to be, but good to have choices.

We are planning to return April 2023.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Prestbury, Wilmslow, Alderley Edge…expensive. A little cheaper Macclesfield, Congleton.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a mumsnet thread about Cheshire towns: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/propert...1402#114591402
Old Feb 11th 2022, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Prestbury, Wilmslow, Alderley Edge…expensive. A little cheaper Macclesfield, Congleton.
That’s because Macclesfield and Congleton do not have so good town centres (maybe these will improve as people are being pushed further out of the decent suburbs around Manchester) the surrounding countryside is lovely though and with a mixture of terraced, semi detached and also detached houses along with council estates I would definitely say a better option (if on a budget) than looking at suburbs closer to Manchester
Old Feb 11th 2022, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
To be honest, I can't remember what it was about Rugby I didn't like, it was just a general feeling about the place. Feel the same about Nuneaton as well. Sorry I can't be specific, so I wouldn't discount it. You may well like it.

So hard to decide.
I've thought about Cheshire too as has some lovely areas but is expensive and perhaps too many footballers and WAGS!

Rutland is nice small and surrounded by countryside I visited a while back now though are you interested in the eastern part of the midlands!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 15th 2022 at 7:41 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 11th 2022, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

So hard to decide.

Rutland is nice small and surrounded by countryside I visited a while back now though are you interested in the eastern part of the midlands![/QUOTE]
We are interested in a number of places. Have thought of the Lake District and North Yorkshire, love areas around Surrey (Farnham, Shere etc.) but couldn't afford to live there.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 15th 2022 at 7:43 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 15th 2022, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

We are interested in a number of places. Have thought of the Lake District and North Yorkshire, love areas around Surrey (Farnham, Shere etc.) but couldn't afford to live there.
Lake District is lovely but the weather is worse than here in the north west, I love North Yorkshire and also the Ribble Valley area in Lancashire with Yorkshire being a bit less wet but a bit colder than Lancashire for me/us it’s the weather especially in winter, Norfolk and Lincolnshire and north parts of Suffolk offer good value for money house wise as does Shropshire, Worcestershire and parts of Somerset and North Devon there are others areas as well but all depends on work, lifestyle choice and to some being near family etc

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 15th 2022 at 7:44 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 15th 2022, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Lake District is lovely but the weather is worse than here in the north west, I love North Yorkshire and also the Ribble Valley area in Lancashire with Yorkshire being a bit less wet but a bit colder than Lancashire for me/us it’s the weather especially in winter, Norfolk and Lincolnshire and north parts of Suffolk offer good value for money house wise as does Shropshire, Worcestershire and parts of Somerset and North Devon there are others areas as well but all depends on work, lifestyle choice and to some being near family etc
It's always very hard to decide. One place that seems to offer the best of all worlds would be the Isle of Man, if it had more ferry services. Unfortunately the other downside is the cost of the ferry, otherwise you would have two capitals on your doorstep and Liverpool close by. Property is no longer cheap either, but it still has a lot to offer for those wanting a more relaxed life and don't mind island living.
Old Feb 18th 2022, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Much appreciated. I'll be visiting about a dozen different towns and cities in 2 months time to start the process.

Old Feb 20th 2022, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Much appreciated. I'll be visiting about a dozen different towns and cities in 2 months time to start the process.
Good luck with the “sightseeing” a bit of advice if your going to be travelling to work by car then if you can try and see how it is in the rush hour traffic as this can make a huge difference when factoring that in to an area.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Slalomdude is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are moving back to North Wales this year after 23 years in the US. Taking early retirement at 55. I grew up in Flintshire and we bought a house back there a couple of years ago with a view to moving back to this year. Good luck, it's going to be quite the transition for us.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

That's an eerily similar sort of time line and age ! I moved to the USA in 1999 - and will be 54 years and 11 months when we return next July.... one way tickets have been purchased for July 2nd ! So this is now very real!! Not sure about retirement, we have a nice pot but will work to ensure national insurance credits/years are full before hanging up the boots.... The inlaws are in Colwyn Bay - so one more tie in! Good luck with all you do and the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.