Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another question: Renewal of British passport

Wikiposts

Another question: Renewal of British passport

Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice
Default Another question: Renewal of British passport

Whilst here in South Africa my British passport has expired and I tried to renew it in my married name. Because I now use a double-barreled name it didn't reflect on my marriage certificate and was sent back requested some form of identification. I applied for my updated South African I.D book and have not yet received it but have received my South African passport.

Question is this - can I use my South African passport as a form of identity for my married name when renewing a British passport? I am just so worried if I use it they wont renew my passport. If I can use it do I send it with or supply a certified copy?

Any help would be so appreciated. Time is ticking for me and I'm starting to feel like I'll have a heart attack with the stress.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another question: Renewal of British passport

Originally Posted by LaraCS
Whilst here in South Africa my British passport has expired and I tried to renew it in my married name. Because I now use a double-barreled name it didn't reflect on my marriage certificate and was sent back requested some form of identification. I applied for my updated South African I.D book and have not yet received it but have received my South African passport.

Question is this - can I use my South African passport as a form of identity for my married name when renewing a British passport? I am just so worried if I use it they wont renew my passport. If I can use it do I send it with or supply a certified copy?

Any help would be so appreciated. Time is ticking for me and I'm starting to feel like I'll have a heart attack with the stress.
Why not just renew your passport in your current name and reserve all that name-changing for later? There is no law that requires you to change your name!

Just make sure your airline ticket matches your passport.

Alternatively, you could try emailing the Consulate which is dealing with your renewal and ask them for advice.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:32 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why not just renew your passport in your current name and reserve all that name-changing for later? There is no law that requires you to change your name!

Just make sure your airline ticket matches your passport.

Alternatively, you could try emailing the Consulate which is dealing with your renewal and ask them for advice.
Depends how long ago her pp expired. Mine had been expired over 10 years, and I had to renew as a first time pp application. My previous pp had been in my married name, so thought that was cut and dried.

Not so. I had my application sent back to me so that I could send them my marriage certificate. They needed a paper trail to see what name I was born with, when and whom I married, and when I changed my name (even though I had done that previously). Plus I had to send a copy of the pic page in my US pp, and I believe my driver's licence. Moral of story - don't let your pp expire!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:37 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
............ Moral of story - don't let your pp expire!

I'd feel naked without my British passport!!!

Worse than naked, actually. Bereft, totally at sea, out in the wilderness .... are just a couple of words that come to mind!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:39 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

I'd feel naked without my British passport!!!

Worse than naked, actually. Bereft, totally at sea, out in the wilderness .... are just a couple of words that come to mind!
Young people like to feel naked, when you get older you start looking for cover!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice

I must be honest I also feel naked without mine!

It expired Sept 2008 so not really that long ago. I'm going to the bank today to try and change my details. On the returned letter from my last attempt to renew it says I can use a bank statement to prove I'm using this surname so I'll give it a go.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:02 pm
In the pink

I must be honest I also feel naked without mine!

It expired Sept 2008 so not really that long ago. I'm going to the bank today to try and change my details. On the returned letter from my last attempt to renew it says I can use a bank statement to prove I'm using this surname so I'll give it a go.
Well 2008 should be fine, because your photo won't have changed too much. If it's over 10 years you have to start from scratch, because your appearance will have changed so much. Good luck with it.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Crikey! My pic was taken when I was 15 years old! HAHAHAHAHA! You really can tell its me though. I've got a far rounder face now and alot of wrinkles but nothing drastic in my appearance.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:15 pm
In the pink

Crikey! My pic was taken when I was 15 years old! HAHAHAHAHA! You really can tell its me though. I've got a far rounder face now and alot of wrinkles but nothing drastic in my appearance.
Was it considered a "child's passport." That might be a problem. I don't think they last as long as an adult passport.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Oh no, it was a 10 year passport.