Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

well, we've found out the bottom line. our moose of a dog is going to be about $3,000 through a handler whether we like it or not. Detroit to London requires an IPATA approved pet handler, and there's only one in the area. Good part is they sort out the crate and all that final paperwork. (can you hear me rationalizing already). She doesn;t come until early 2008, so by then I am hoping our house will have sold (please God!) and we'll have some funds freed up.

Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Kate: If you do go with Virgin, they will send you a packet that includes how to measure your pet for the crate. They actually have a calculator you use based on how tall they are from the floor to the shoulder, floor to head, head to tail, etc. (As you can imagine, it's been quite fun trying to measure a squirming cat who thinks I want to play every time I get the tape measure out!).

You may also want to check with the airline rep, as some of the printed information they send you is outdated. For example, the brochure said I needed a litter box in the crate, but when I spoke to my rep, he said they didn't allow litter boxes any more. This let me go down a size in the crate and saved me about $250 in shipping charges.

For the person asking about the type of crate, the IATA website has recommendations on the best type of crates to use. For example, many of the crates you see in pet stores have the fold-down clips securing the top and bottom. The IATA recommends the screw-on clips. If you look at the airline incidents that have occurred, they typically tend to involve crates that open, so the IATA is fairly specific about the type of crates they think work best. After doing a lot of research, I've gone with the Sky Kennel, but I think most IATA-approved crates should be ok.

Hope this helps. Why is this the hardest part of moving????? I'm having nightmares about it, and I've still got another two months to go.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes, we used the hamster water bottles for our two cats when we brought them over. regardless of the size crate you feel is adequate it must be within the sizes given by the airline you choose to fly with.
did your cats have a hard time figuring out how to use the hamster bottles? I've been trying to figure out how to get the spillproof water bottles in the crate and had thought of this but then worried they might spend the whole flight trying to figure out how to use them.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TaraC
did your cats have a hard time figuring out how to use the hamster bottles? I've been trying to figure out how to get the spillproof water bottles in the crate and had thought of this but then worried they might spend the whole flight trying to figure out how to use them.
hiya...some mths before the cats flew we brought their crates into the house and attached the bottles so they could get used to them and they soon figured it out...they're pretty smart the felines of this world
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hiya...some mths before the cats flew we brought their crates into the house and attached the bottles so they could get used to them and they soon figured it out...they're pretty smart the felines of this world
That's pretty smart -- can't think why I didn't think of that (although I think the last few months have completely scoured my brain of any kind of effective matter -- way too many things to think about). I'm going to give it a go. Of course, actually getting them into the crates is a whole other story. I'm trying to try leaving them open in the bedroom with treats inside and see how that goes. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

That's pretty smart -- can't think why I didn't think of that (although I think the last few months have completely scoured my brain of any kind of effective matter -- way too many things to think about). I'm going to give it a go. Of course, actually getting them into the crates is a whole other story. I'm trying to try leaving them open in the bedroom with treats inside and see how that goes. Thanks for your help.
hiya, yes i had the crates open, never tried to force them into it....i put their fav cat nip toys and treats inside and often i'd find them just laying in them....good luck
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

hiya, yes i had the crates open, never tried to force them into it....i put their fav cat nip toys and treats inside and often i'd find them just laying in them....good luck
I'm going to try it. My rescue cat has a real problem with crates due to being in a cage and then being driven from Florida to Virginia, so I'm also going to buy the Feliway spray and try dousing the crate with that as well. We used the infuser when we first brought him home, and it seemed to destress him fairly well so hopefully he'll associate the smell with good things.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

I'm going to try it. My rescue cat has a real problem with crates due to being in a cage and then being driven from Florida to Virginia, so I'm also going to buy the Feliway spray and try dousing the crate with that as well. We used the infuser when we first brought him home, and it seemed to destress him fairly well so hopefully he'll associate the smell with good things.
i'll send you some kitty karma lol you'll notice some blue squares under your username and that's the karma
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

good luck...we're taking our two back home next yr hopefully and i'm worrying already!

You're going home next year...for good?

Damn woman, we had better co-ordinate ourselves and get together at one of those Houston meets soon then
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

i'll send you some kitty karma lol you'll notice some blue squares under your username and that's the karma
Thanks so much; I'll need it. Between flying them home and trying to find a rental that will let me have them, I need all the help I can get. This site has been brilliant, though.

When are you going home? Is it permanent?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You're going home next year...for good?

Damn woman, we had better co-ordinate ourselves and get together at one of those Houston meets soon then
i'm hoping to make one in sept, early oct time.....hope to see you there
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm hoping to make one in sept, early oct time.....hope to see you there

I'll be there hopefully although we are entertaining "family" twice in October.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Thanks so much; I'll need it. Between flying them home and trying to find a rental that will let me have them, I need all the help I can get. This site has been brilliant, though.

When are you going home? Is it permanent?
to right it's permanent, no more of this life for me, there's a whole lot of living to do out there for sure
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'll be there hopefully although we are entertaining "family" twice in October.
from oct 10 i'll be in the uk for a month so it would have to be late sept or very early oct, so we'll see
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

to right it's permanent, no more of this life for me, there's a whole lot of living to do out there for sure
It's so nice to hear people who lived in the US saying this. For so long, people have said I'm crazy to be so homesick when life is so much easier/better, etc., in the US. I think even my husband is hoping that the year I'm about to spend at university in the UK will "cure" me of my homesick craziness, but I'm not so sure. I have a feeling I won't be coming back here, big house or not. How long have you been in Tx?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.