Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

I got mine from a company called Airpets in London then bought another one when I took them to France (I had two cats then) and used the same one when they finally came to Spain and then America! Poor cats.

This is the blurb Virgin sent me...

Kennels must be large enough
to comfortably accommodate your pet to stand up and turn around freely,
leaving at least 2" headroom space between the top of your pets head and
the rooftop of the kennel. Please note that if the kennel is not properly
sized for your pet, your pet will be denied passage until you provide the
proper sized kennel for your pet, and a new booking is made. Failure to
have your kennel and pet checked for this very important detail could
result in your pet being refused for transport on the day of your
departure. It is strongly suggested that your pet and kennel are taken to
the Virgin Cargo facility at least 24 hours prior to your departure date to
enable us to confirm the minimum size requirements we must adhere to in the
United Kingdom.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

More info from Virgin. Actually I had no idea that snub nosed cats and dogs weren't allowed to fly. I'm assuming it's because they have heriditary breathing problems.

While every effort is made to ensure that your pet travels safely and comfortably, Virgin Atlantic Airways (“Virgin”) and its agents, cannot under any circumstances accept liability or responsibility for death through natural causes while your pet is in our custody.

Pets must not be sedated before flight, and Virgin reserves the right to refuse carriage if it believes this requirement has not been complied with.

The following conditions, which must be read in conjunction with Virgin’s General Conditions of Carriage for Cargo (available on request) will also apply to the carriage of your pet:

The shipper and/or pet owner remains responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations governing the carriage of pets in the country of origin and destination, including compliance with the applicable regulations governing the packing, carriage or delivery of the pet. Virgin is not liable for the shipper’s and/or pet owner’s failure to comply with this provision.

PROHIBITIONS
Dog breeds that fall within the list published in the UK Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (per the list on the back) and all cross breeds where part of the breed is from the prohibited list, will be refused carriage by Virgin. Virgin reserves the right to refuse carriage if it believes that the dog is a cross breed from the prohibited list despite its description in the PETS certificate.
While pug or snub nosed dogs and cats are refused carriage (see the list on the back), nevertheless Virgin agrees to carry cross-breeds where part of the parentage of the pet is from the pug or snub nosed list, and the remainder of the parentage is from some other breed that is not pug or snub nosed. The shipper and/or pet owner acknowledges that if the pet in question falls into this category, he/she agrees that they can be carried as normal.

Savannah cats are not eligible to enter the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme. They are listed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and require a licence to enter the UK. They must also undertake 6 months quarantine on arrival.

Bengal cats are eligible to travel under the PET Travel Scheme only if they have an accompanying pedigree certificate to prove they are F5 Bengal or beyond. For more information on this please speak to DEFRA.
Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to inspect the packaging or shipping container used, and to refuse carriage if the packaging or container does not comply with the regulations governing the carriage of live animals.
The shipper and/or pet owner undertakes to indemnify and reimburse Virgin against all damage or penalties suffered by or imposed on Virgin, by reason of the irregularity, incorrectness or incompleteness of any particulars or documents furnished to Virgin, or for the shipper’s and/or pet owner’s failure to comply with the applicable regulations governing the carriage of live animals, including the carriage of dogs in contravention of the regulations contained in the UK Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

The shipper and/or pet owner undertakes to indemnify and reimburse Virgin upon request for all expenses incurred in ensuring the well being of the pet during the course of the pet’s carriage by air.

The shipper and/or pet owner undertakes to discharge in full upon request all expenses, taxes and/or fees incurred by Virgin or its agents relating to the pet’s carriage by air until final delivery.

I have read the above Conditions and I accept them accordingly.

Signed: . Datedd/mm/yy) / / .

Shipper/Pet Owner’s name: . AWB Nbr: 932- .

UK Dangerous Dogs Act 1991

The following breeds of dogs, either pure or cross bred, will not be accepted for carriage as they fall under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Pit Bull Terrier (Including the American Pit Bull Terrier or pit bull types)
American Staffordshire Terrier
Dogo Argentino
Japanese Tosa
Fila Braziliero
UK Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

Savannah cats are listed under the above Act. They will require a licence to enter the UK and will have to undertake 6 months quarantine.

This list may not be exhaustive and Virgin reserve the right to amend the list without notice.

Pug or snub nosed dogs and cats:

Virgin Atlantic Cargo reserves the right to refuse carriage of certain breeds. The following breeds of animals have been identified as pug or snub nosed and will not be accepted for carriage on Virgin Atlantic.

Dogs:
All pugs
Boston terrier
Brussels Griffin
English Toy Spaniel
Japanese Spaniel (Chin)
Pekingese
English Bulldog
French Bulldog
Shih Tzu

Cats:

Himalayan
Persians

Breeds that are crossed with snub or pug nosed breeds may be accepted for carriage on Virgin Atlantic.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's only Virgin's policy. TruBrit brought 2 Persian cats to the US and will be taking them back with her.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
I got mine from a company called Airpets in London then bought another one when I took them to France (I had two cats then) and used the same one when they finally came to Spain and then America! Poor cats.

This is the blurb Virgin sent me...
Thank you...I thought you had to have special ones.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Must be a Virgin Policy. I just had a quick look at BA and they don't make mention of it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

This should help you work out the size.
http://cyuat.baplc.com/biztools/pcst.shtml
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Must be a Virgin Policy. I just had a quick look at BA and they don't make mention of it.
neither do continental airlines...tbh i've never heard of that one before.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:54 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

This should help you work out the size.
http://cyuat.baplc.com/biztools/pcst.shtml

Thanks for this link. I won't be using that airline, but the calulator is handy.

I'm going to have to get a new crate anyway, as the one she has now has no holes at the back (although these could be drilled into it) and she can fit her paws through holes in the front door (she has tiny feet).

One thing I don't understand is the whole water/feeding bowl thing. It says it has to be accessible from the outside, but wouldn't that mean needing a hole somewhere in the crate? And if a small animal got the bowl loose, it could escape. Can't one of those little hamster water bottle thingies that you attach to the outside be used? It's spillproof, too, so the dog would have ample supply without losing any of it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Thanks for this link. I won't be using that airline, but the calulator is handy.

I'm going to have to get a new crate anyway, as the one she has now has no holes at the back (although these could be drilled into it) and she can fit her paws through holes in the front door (she has tiny feet).

One thing I don't understand is the whole water/feeding bowl thing. It says it has to be accessible from the outside, but wouldn't that mean needing a hole somewhere in the crate? And if a small animal got the bowl loose, it could escape. Can't one of those little hamster water bottle thingies that you attach to the outside be used? It's spillproof, too, so the dog would have ample supply without losing any of it.

yes, we used the hamster water bottles for our two cats when we brought them over. regardless of the size crate you feel is adequate it must be within the sizes given by the airline you choose to fly with.

Last edited by TruBrit; Jul 12th 2007 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

One thing I don't understand is the whole water/feeding bowl thing. It says it has to be accessible from the outside, but wouldn't that mean needing a hole somewhere in the crate?
Mine came with a small bowl that was attached to the front grille. It was tightly clipped on and was still in place when I arrived.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

well. looks like we might not have any choice. the two companies that ship dogs to the UK from DEtroit (BA and NW) require that we use an IPATA pet handler. We just got quoted $3,000.

oy...

I will look into it some more, but I am thinking we're going to have this dog dipped in gold one of these days;-)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Any way you can fly out of somewhere other than DTW? Though saying that I can't think of anywhere that goes direct other than Detroit.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:00 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes, we used the hamster water bottles for our two cats when we brought them over. regardless of the size crate you feel is adequate it must be within the sizes given by the airline you choose to fly with.
Goody, I hope Virgin allows the bottle. That would be much better than spending the whole flight worrying that her water has run out/spilled.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Goody, I hope Virgin allows the bottle. That would be much better than spending the whole flight worrying that her water has run out/spilled.

good luck...we're taking our two back home next yr hopefully and i'm worrying already!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I think Archie (westie) is around $1600 through an agent.

We have his crate from when he flew to the US, it was made from wood to fit him perfect via the handlers we used then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.