Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

hi! am having extreme "sticker shock" at the price we were just quoted to have a professional pet handler get our pooch onto the plane, etc in the U.S. (to fly to UK in January, once her rabies stuff is all sorted). The quote was for $3,400. This is basically to take the dog to the airport, get her through all the bureaucratic stuff, and also for her crate and such. We are picking her up on the other end.

Is this a reasonable quote, or can anyone point me to other solutions?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another pets question--cost of pet handler USA-UK flight, etc

Jeebus that sounds like a lot. It's only slightly more to fly a horse!

How big is the dog? I'm taking a cat, she'll be on the same flight as me (Virgin) and I was surprised at how cheap it was. I've got the info sheet from Virgin with the pricing on it for handling fees etc., Let me know if you need it.

Do you have anyone over here that could take the dog to the airport for you? I already have my crate from when I brought her over. It's an oversized one. Maybe you could save money getting that yourself. Have you looked at Ebay etc,.? Make sure it's the right size though as my friend got caught out in LHR and was denied boarding as her crate was too small.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gingajoy
hi! am having extreme "sticker shock" at the price we were just quoted to have a professional pet handler get our pooch onto the plane, etc in the U.S. (to fly to UK in January, once her rabies stuff is all sorted). The quote was for $3,400. This is basically to take the dog to the airport, get her through all the bureaucratic stuff, and also for her crate and such. We are picking her up on the other end.

Is this a reasonable quote, or can anyone point me to other solutions?
wow that sounds a lot of $$$

can't you do it yourself, buy the crate take said pooch to the airport and check her in......call your chosen airline and follow their rules/regs re crate size....it's got to be cheaper than your quote from the pet handler surely
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
wow that sounds a lot of $$$

can't you do it yourself, buy the crate take said pooch to the airport and check her in......call your chosen airline and follow their rules/regs re crate size....it's got to be cheaper than your quote from the pet handler surely
uhm, yeah! I am now "rethinking" the "it will be so much easier to use a handler" idea, and looking into the basic costs to cargo the dog via BA. I am curious to know if this is a typical quote, though
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious to know if this is a typical quote, though
I hate to think it is typical.

To give you an example. To fly my horse out of Kentucky as that's the cheapest route it costs $5k. That includes pre flight vet check and paperwork compliation. A groom and vet travelling with him, a large stall on the plane, loading and unloading. All food, hay and water etc., during his journey, animal reception at STN with full vet check then onward delivery to final destination.

I'm saving up to try and get him back next year.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
I hate to think it is typical.

To give you an example. To fly my horse out of Kentucky as that's the cheapest route it costs $5k. That includes pre flight vet check and paperwork compliation. A groom and vet travelling with him, a large stall on the plane, loading and unloading. All food, hay and water etc., during his journey, animal reception at STN with full vet check then onward delivery to final destination.

I'm saving up to try and get him back next year.
Maybe they are travelling from Oz not...Eastern US.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

She did say the US in her post which is why I mentioned it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Jeebus that sounds like a lot. It's only slightly more to fly a horse!

How big is the dog? I'm taking a cat, she'll be on the same flight as me (Virgin) and I was surprised at how cheap it was. I've got the info sheet from Virgin with the pricing on it for handling fees etc., Let me know if you need it.

Do you have anyone over here that could take the dog to the airport for you? I already have my crate from when I brought her over. It's an oversized one. Maybe you could save money getting that yourself. Have you looked at Ebay etc,.? Make sure it's the right size though as my friend got caught out in LHR and was denied boarding as her crate was too small.

We are currently working on a friend to do it (actually, they offered unasked. why are we leaving these people? LOL!)
We will have to be careful with the crate, though, as she is a very big girl--big boned (no, seriously! she is! a real moose of a dog, runs 2-4 miles a day How can we leave her behind when we're moving to the Peak District area;-)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She did say the US in her post which is why I mentioned it.
OK...I missed that.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

We are currently working on a friend to do it (actually, they offered unasked. why are we leaving these people? LOL!)
We will have to be careful with the crate, though, as she is a very big girl--big boned (no, seriously! she is! a real moose of a dog, runs 2-4 miles a day How can we leave her behind when we're moving to the Peak District area;-)
She sounds lovely! I totally know how you feel. I could never leave my cat behind. My dog sadly died shortly after I moved. They're part of the family.

Remember they have to be able to lay down, stand up and turn around in the crate. Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

She sounds lovely! I totally know how you feel. I could never leave my cat behind. My dog sadly died shortly after I moved. They're part of the family.

Remember they have to be able to lay down, stand up and turn around in the crate. Good luck.
yes. I'm not too worried about the actual flight (I say that now, of course!) She's crate trained and very comfortable in that set-up (it's a good way to escape the toddlers)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure it's the right size though as my friend got caught out in LHR and was denied boarding as her crate was too small.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was curious, how much smaller than the regulations was the crate, do you know?

My pup is freakishly tall for a Min Pin (she's 15", I read they usually only grow to be 12"!), and I have a crate for her now that she sleeps in which leaves about 1" of room from the top of her head when she's standing/sitting. She's not very wide, though, so I didn't want to get one so big that she'll be jostled about in it when she flies. I may have to end up getting another one anyway, as she might not be full size yet.

For the OP, that quote sounds ridiculously expensive, even for a big dog. Like Shivster, I also want to fly with Virgin, and their cargo quotes are very reasonable. I think mine was about $900 for a 10-15 lb dog, with crate. Of course, yours would be more than that, but probably still cheaper than having a pet carrier do it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was curious, how much smaller than the regulations was the crate, do you know?

My pup is freakishly tall for a Min Pin (she's 15", I read they usually only grow to be 12"!), and I have a crate for her now that she sleeps in which leaves about 1" of room from the top of her head when she's standing/sitting. She's not very wide, though, so I didn't want to get one so big that she'll be jostled about in it when she flies. I may have to end up getting another one anyway, as she might not be full size yet.

For the OP, that quote sounds ridiculously expensive, even for a big dog. Like Shivster, I also want to fly with Virgin, and their cargo quotes are very reasonable. I think mine was about $900 for a 10-15 lb dog, with crate. Of course, yours would be more than that, but probably still cheaper than having a pet carrier do it.

If her head is only 1" from the roof, then it's too small.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:20 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Uh oh. I'll probably need to wait til closer to the time to get her a bigger one, then, unless she grows more to the point where her head is touching the top before then.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do you have to buy a special crate or can you use the ones from the pet shop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.