Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Animal Reception Centre - Heathrow

Animal Reception Centre - Heathrow

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:10 pm
Merlot

Default Animal Reception Centre - Heathrow

Bizarre question but does anyone know how far this place is from the airport?

I need to collect my cat from there in March as we get off the plane?

Any experiences anyone can share regarding pet transportation from Oz (or anywhere else)? I am getting nervous to how my cat will travel. Most people on these forum said their pets were fine.

Cheers
Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Animal Reception Centre - Heathrow

Its the animal quarantine centre on the left between terminal 4 as you drive on the perimeter road towards the ba cargo village. if you arrive ba/qantas then its a 5 min car ride from t4. if you arrive t1,2 or 3 then its the otherside of the airport from the tunnel exit so would take say 20mins to drive from the centre.

If it's any help, if an agent is clearing them, then it usually takes a few hours anyway. Our two were ready at about 10.30 am after a 6am landing so you have a bit of time.

Don't worry our two were fine but hungry. They adjusted very quickly to life here and the journey did'nt seem to worry them one bit.

Originally posted by Merlot

Any experiences anyone can share regarding pet transportation from Oz (or anywhere else)? I am getting nervous to how my cat will travel. Most people on these forum said their pets were fine.

Cheers
Merlot

Last edited by captaincook; Jan 17th 2004 at 10:11 am.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:27 am
Merlot

Originally posted by captaincook
Its the animal quarantine centre on the left between terminal 4 as you drive on the perimeter road towards the ba cargo village. if you arrive ba/qantas then its a 5 min car ride from t4. if you arrive t1,2 or 3 then its the otherside of the airport from the tunnel exit so would take say 20mins to drive from the centre.

If it's any help, if an agent is clearing them, then it usually takes a few hours anyway. Our two were ready at about 10.30 am after a 6am landing so you have a bit of time.

Don't worry our two were fine but hungry. They adjusted very quickly to life here and the journey did'nt seem to worry them one bit.
I appreciate your reply, it has put my mind at ease.

Cheers
Merlot

Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:16 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Cheers
Merlot
Hi Merlot,

Our cat has flown from UK to NZ and back to the UK in just 12 weeks. He's now in quarantine due to the pathetic UK rabies restrictions i.e NZ has never had rabies....it was easy to get our cat there with boosters and hookworm tests, yet to come back he has to be rabies tested and clear for 6 months a la PETS scheme. I could inderstand this if NZ had ever had rabies (as has the UK), but it has always been rabies free, yet our cat still has to be quarantined. However, he is apparently well adjusted and is already charming the staff of the quarantine facility. By all accounts he has loads of room too....the wife and her 2 sisters all got in the enclosure with him and there was tons of room.

He travelled for about 36 hours this time and was quite unaffected. I think they adapt more than we give them credit for.

all the best, Rich.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:27 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Merlot,

Our cat has flown from UK to NZ and back to the UK in just 12 weeks. He's now in quarantine due to the pathetic UK rabies restrictions i.e NZ has never had rabies....it was easy to get our cat there with boosters and hookworm tests, yet to come back he has to be rabies tested and clear for 6 months a la PETS scheme. I could inderstand this if NZ had ever had rabies (as has the UK), but it has always been rabies free, yet our cat still has to be quarantined. However, he is apparently well adjusted and is already charming the staff of the quarantine facility. By all accounts he has loads of room too....the wife and her 2 sisters all got in the enclosure with him and there was tons of room.

He travelled for about 36 hours this time and was quite unaffected. I think they adapt more than we give them credit for.

all the best, Rich.
Cheers Rich for the update, you are right pets are sturdy creatures. It has made me feel better.

How is your trip going?

Take care.

Merlot

Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:06 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Rich for the update, you are right pets are sturdy creatures. It has made me feel better.

How is your trip going?

Take care.

Merlot
Hi Merlot,

Sitting in a nice warm apartment in Snowy Pittsburgh while the wind chills outside to -10 deg C. It's a cool place in more ways then one. I haven't seen a lot in just 3 days, but am here for a while, so there's time yet.

Good luck with the return.

Rich.