Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American would love advice re:moving to England

American would love advice re:moving to England

Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:35 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

Originally Posted by Bob
Not the cheapest places to live though....but if the budget is there and interested in Oxford, got a mate that's just put up his house up for sale a couple days ago in Chipping Norton...but he's setting up viewings for this weekend and said already had 7 people arrange a viewing and one offer on the table sight unseen

I'd say places around Cornwall have to be checked out as well as Yorkshire and the whole lakes and forests as they're just such a different lifestyle to the south.
Can you tell me a bit more about the differences?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Can you tell me a bit more about the differences?
Just different way of life.

Partly because of the work environment, generally different jobs etc and a lot stems from that probably.

Things do tend to be a lot more hectic down south compared to the north, you do tend to find people more brisk about things in London than up north etc, etc.

Worlds apart within miles of each other, probably only with a mocking of the French and Germans as a common denominator
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:46 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Do you want to move to the UK mostly because of a desire to leave the usa, or are you in need of an adventure at this point in your life?
I believe I would have a better quality of life in the UK. And no, I don't need adventure, just change, for the better.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:58 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

The more you say, the better I feel about my idea of moving over there. I don't think I have an idealized view of Britain. I read the online newpapers and consider myself fairly well informed and don't think everything there is perfect, but I can tell you that there is a list a mile long of reasons why I don't like it here and I would like it there.

Better weather, no blizzards, tornadoes, earthquakes, landslides, wildfires, insane heat and humidity
More easily accessible cultural activities that appeal to me
NHS
More beautiful towns
A wonderful attitude towards and love of dogs
Safer
More civil people
No mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus
No coyotes wandering even in cities attacking small pets in their yards
Generally proper use of the English language
Love of gardens common wherever you go

Am I wrong?
I agree with maybe 65% of this.

As far as the English language goes, our education system isn't too great either and many people don't speak proper English back home and often use regional slang.

More civil people? Hard to say. Chavs certainly aren't civil, but when it comes to things like driver courtesy, holding doors open and general manners, Britain wins hands down.

Gardens...we are a nation of gardeners, but you may not find so much pride in surroundings on council estates. For the most part though, I find British suburbs to be much greener.

More beautiful towns...some are, but we have many more grotty, run down towns and cities. I haven't been back to the UK in nearly a decade, but you should Google Street View places like Wolverhampton, Kettering, Watford, Stoke-On-Trent and you'll get the picture.

Anyway, if you are serious, 1) go to the Home Office website to determine visa eligibility, 2) go on holiday to Britain but explore outside London and 3) talk to American expats living over there to get an American perspective. I could be considered somewhat biased and it's been nearly a decade since I lived there. I've been told that it's changed since then in several ways.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:00 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I would have a better quality of life in the UK. And no, I don't need adventure, just change, for the better.
Quality of life is generally relative. Man Americans associate that only with financial prosperity. I believe that it's a combination of many factors. From your perspective, you would really have to spend some time in the UK to determine whether or not your QOL would be enhanced or diminished.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The more you say, the better I feel about my idea of moving over there. I don't think I have an idealized view of Britain. I read the online newpapers and consider myself fairly well informed and don't think everything there is perfect, but I can tell you that there is a list a mile long of reasons why I don't like it here and I would like it there.

Better weather, no blizzards, tornadoes, earthquakes, landslides, wildfires, insane heat and humidity YES
More easily accessible cultural activities that appeal to me YES
NHS YES
More beautiful towns Maybe, will probably have more interesting architecture at the very least
A wonderful attitude towards and love of dogs Not sure. Probably similar.
Safer Generally speaking, yes
More civil people Possibly, don't count on it
No mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus YES
No coyotes wandering even in cities attacking small pets in their yards YES
Generally proper use of the English language Depends
Love of gardens common wherever you go Depends
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Fitz88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I agree with maybe 65% of this.

As far as the English language goes, our education system isn't too great either and many people don't speak proper English back home and often use regional slang.

More civil people? Hard to say. Chavs certainly aren't civil, but when it comes to things like driver courtesy, holding doors open and general manners, Britain wins hands down.

Gardens...we are a nation of gardeners, but you may not find so much pride in surroundings on council estates. For the most part though, I find British suburbs to be much greener.

More beautiful towns...some are, but we have many more grotty, run down towns and cities. I haven't been back to the UK in nearly a decade, but you should Google Street View places like Wolverhampton, Kettering, Watford, Stoke-On-Trent and you'll get the picture.

Anyway, if you are serious, 1) go to the Home Office website to determine visa eligibility, 2) go on holiday to Britain but explore outside London and 3) talk to American expats living over there to get an American perspective. I could be considered somewhat biased and it's been nearly a decade since I lived there. I've been told that it's changed since then in several ways.

Why would she google run down towns when she works from home? Being able to determine where she lives without worrying about traffic/commuting means she can pick the cream of the crop in where she lives.

Assuming she has some money behind her too means she could get beautiful victorian cottage in Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire if she still wants access to London and if she decides to go up north or to the south west her money will only take her further.

Last edited by Fitz88; Mar 13th 2012 at 7:12 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fitz88
Why would she google run down towns when she works from home? Being able to determine where she lives without worrying about traffic/commuting means she can pick the cream of the crop in where she lives.

Assuming she has some money behind her too means she could get beautiful victorian cottage in Buckinghamshire/Hertfordshire if she still wants access to London and if she decides to go up north or to the south west her money will only take her further.
I meant to give her a better idea of how British towns & cities are in general...to give her a broader idea. Not all look like London, Oxford and Warwick

If she has money, it won't be an issue. That's the variable though that I haven't figured out from her posts.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitz88

The good thing about run-down towns is they are never too far from somewhere better. My kids were so amazed last summer when a short drive took us to so many different places. Also I have noticed a tremendous amount of regeneration going on over there.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:16 pm
Banned

I think it would be helpful or interesting (or not ) for me to elaborate on some of the things that bother me about living here, and reasons I want to leave.

Firstly, I live in a very nice neighborhood, tree- lined streets, nice little downtown area, a quiet suburban town that is considered safe. But in the last year a small neighborhood bank inside the grocery store a few blocks away was held up at gunpoint and robbed, the little pizza place a few blocks down was also held up at gunpoint and people having some sort of dispute were shooting at each other a few blocks from there. It's shocking to me and yet, because of the way things are here, people just take it in stride. On the news today they said a suburban school is on lockdown for some reason. Violence is all too common in the US. Look at what happened to one of our congressmen last year, shot in the head whilst talking to people outside a grocery store.
Now the weather: our winters are freezing cold, and I mean really cold as in, you can hardly breathe, you can't stay outside and walk lest you fall on the ice or drive any distance without carrying an emergency kit in case your car breaks down and you have n o heat, then in Springtime, now, the tornadoes begin. It's terrifying to hear sirens go off and be told to seek shelter immediately in your basement. We are in a place called "tornado alley" and there have been many that have hit near me. Then summer arrives with high heat and humidity, making it unbearable to go outside because again, you can barely breathe. It's like being in a sauna, but worse. Then there are the mosquitoes. They have gotten an early start here this year. You have to spray insect repellant on to protect yourself from being bitten and contracting West Nile Virus. You have to give your dog pills and sprays to keep them protected as well, because mosquitoes carry heart worm disease and that can kill your dog. And when you go in and out of the house you have to do it really fast lest you let any of them into the house. If they get in you are up all night trying to find and swat them.
Then there are the coyotes. I can't let me dog be out in the yard alone. They are so bold now that they aren't even afraid of humans. So if you happen to be out walking your dog they can come up and try to grab it and you are instructed not to turn and run because they will chase after you.
And then, the all-important health care issues. The fact that every person does not have health coverage is outrageous. I couldn't get it for years, now I can but pay over $400 a a month plus a $2000 deductible and 20% co-pay. And doctor's visits are ridiculously high.

So, there you have it, or some of it.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Something which is said a lot on here but which is excellent advice, go for the pull of the new place and not the push of the old. If you just go because of perceived shortcomings where you are (however valid some of them may be), you could be in for a shock if the new place doesn't measure up to your dream.

Gun crime is not anything like the US level but it can happen over there.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Something which is said a lot on here but which is excellent advice, go for the pull of the new place and not the push of the old. If you just go because of perceived shortcomings where you are (however valid some of them may be), you could be in for a shock if the new place doesn't measure up to your dream.

Gun crime is not anything like the US level but it can happen over there.
I hear you...but it's a combination of the two. I have mentioned many things that draw me to it.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hear you...but it's a combination of the two. I have mentioned many things that draw me to it.
Just trying to give you some food for thought.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Sile, if you get your Irish citizenship there will be no problems in you moving to the UK and working. If you just have US Citizenship it would have been a difficult thing to do. In fact the Irish passport opens up all of the EU to you and if you are considering the UK why not take a look at Eire too. If you are self employed and have some dollar savings you can probably pick up a good deal on real estate in Dublin.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nun
Sile, if you get your Irish citizenship there will be no problems in you moving to the UK and working. If you just have US Citizenship it would have been a difficult thing to do. In fact the Irish passport opens up all of the EU to you and if you are considering the UK why not take a look at Eire too. If you are self employed and have some dollar savings you can probably pick up a good deal on real estate in Dublin.
I have thought quite a bit about Ireland, and in fact, that was my original idea for years. But the economy is so bad there, I don't know that it's the best choice. Both places appeal to me, truth be told. My grandparents came from Ireland and I grew up with the idea that that was the loveliest place on earth.

Aarrggghhh, it's such a hard decision. It would be easy if I had someone I was going with or to. I have almost too many options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.