Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American Light fixtures to UK?

American Light fixtures to UK?

Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:50 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Question American Light fixtures to UK?

Can I use my beautiful chandelier with the UK electrical system?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:31 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Light fixtures to UK?

Originally Posted by sile
Can I use my beautiful chandelier with the UK electrical system?
It will probably just need to be rewired. I brought quite a few lamps with me and had an electrician rewire all of them. Now some of the lampshades don't cover the light bulb receptacle, so I will have to replace the shades.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:39 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Ok, thanks! I don't really want to sell it..it was around $1,000!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks! I don't really want to sell it..it was around $1,000!
When you say chandelier - do you mean a ceiling light? I'm not sure how you would get on putting that up in a rented property - you might have to get permission from your landlord.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very good question because I have two beautiful, genuine Tiffany lamps I would love to take with me. I assumed, too, they would only have to be rewired but now I wonder if the Tiffany shades will fit afterwards.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our Crate and Barrel floor lights back from the USA - they are plugged into a convertor, and we bought USA bulbs from Amazon - work perfectly! NOt sure if a ceiling light would work or not though. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
We bought our Crate and Barrel floor lights back from the USA - they are plugged into a convertor, and we bought USA bulbs from Amazon - work perfectly! NOt sure if a ceiling light would work or not though. Hope this helps.
Doesn't the converter get hot? I have a UK-US transformer and it gets red hot.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: American Light fixtures to UK?

I've got a couple of table lamps which I bought in Pier 1. They went in our shipment to Singapore (same plugs and sockets as the UK) and they worked perfectly. I just used a plug adaptor.

We then took them to Switzerland and again just use a plug adaptor (ie. they still have the original American wires and plugs, which in turn are plugged into an adaptor. Switzerland has the same voltage as the UK and Singapore, but they have their own unique style of plugs here.

I've just gone to look at one of the table lamps which is being used right now...the light bulb in it is one of those new-style curly things which are supposedly better for the environment (until they have to be disposed of ) which I don't really like as they don't instantly light up the room. It's a Philips 'Genie' which I guess is sold worldwide.

Btw - all of our table lamps, including the bedside ones from IKEA take lightbulbs which are screwed in. Do they still mostly use the 'bayonet' style bulbs in the UK or are the screw type ones widely used these days?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:01 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've got a couple of table lamps which I bought in Pier 1. They went in our shipment to Singapore (same plugs and sockets as the UK) and they worked perfectly. I just used a plug adaptor.

We then took them to Switzerland and again just use a plug adaptor (ie. they still have the original American wires and plugs, which in turn are plugged into an adaptor. Switzerland has the same voltage as the UK and Singapore, but they have their own unique style of plugs here.

I've just gone to look at one of the table lamps which is being used right now...the light bulb in it is one of those new-style curly things which are supposedly better for the environment (until they have to be disposed of ) which I don't really like as they don't instantly light up the room. It's a Philips 'Genie' which I guess is sold worldwide.

Btw - all of our table lamps, including the bedside ones from IKEA take lightbulbs which are screwed in. Do they still mostly use the 'bayonet' style bulbs in the UK or are the screw type ones widely used these days?
Hi D,

How are you doing? Hope all is well with you. Things are going well at this end.

Anyway, on the subject of light bulbs, they are doing my head in. In the UK they have bayonet, screw ins (which come in different sizes), candle, golf balls, regular, led, twirly things etc. I remember the days when you had a couple of extra bayonets on hand, not so nowadays. I might have to start a spreadsheet dedicated to my light bulb inventory.

K
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Doesn't the converter get hot? I have a UK-US transformer and it gets red hot.
Sounds like you need a bigger transformer, they will always get warm, but should not be hot.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rebs
When you say chandelier - do you mean a ceiling light? I'm not sure how you would get on putting that up in a rented property - you might have to get permission from your landlord.
Yes, a ceiling light...brass and glass chandelier. I imagine I'd store it til I bought a house.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Oh, you different bulbs there, too?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:15 pm
Banned

I agree, I hate those energy efficient screwy bulbs with unnatural light c,ing from them. And there are dangerous to dispose of as you mentioned. If you break one, you're scr..ed
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it will work with minimal modifications. Did you decide on a place to move too?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:11 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Do they still mostly use the 'bayonet' style bulbs in the UK or are the screw type ones widely used these days?
Originally Posted by lf1
In the UK they have bayonet, screw ins (which come in different sizes), candle, golf balls, regular, led, twirly things etc. I remember the days when you had a couple of extra bayonets on hand, not so nowadays. I might have to start a spreadsheet dedicated to my light bulb inventory.
Oh, you different bulbs there, too?
The bayonet style used to be more common, so older light fixtures tend to take bayonet a bulb. Now there are all kinds of modern shapes, as If1 says, but really just the two kinds of base for all of them, either bayonet or screw-in.

Just before we left the UK in 2011, many of the stores switched to only carrying the new 'curly' energy-efficient bulbs & it became very difficult to find the conventional old-style bulbs. Don't know if that's still true....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.