Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American DH is having awful time finding job

American DH is having awful time finding job

Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all
Default Re: American DH is having awful time finding job

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
This may or may not be of help, but I've just been made redundant (voluntary) and part of my package includes some sessions and services of 'Right Management'. They are an outplacement organisation that helps people with CVs, interviewing etc.

I can't say what they are like as my initial appt with them is the week after next (off to Mallorca for a cycle training camp next week, :thumb up.

Your DH would obviously have to pay, but it might be something worth looking into to get the right advice. I know they have offices in London and Reading, not sure where else.

http://www.rightmanagement.co.uk/cap...t/default.aspx
Thanks, I'll look into that. Someone had recommended National Careers Service too but they seem more geared up towards young adults.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

Hi Folks,

Another update and this time with some more positive news. DH got a call from a local council that he'd interviewed for twice before about a temporary role. He interviewed for it on Monday and got a call offering him the position later in the day. The money isn't great and it's only a 4-month contract but hey, it's something!

But then he got *another* call later the same day to invite him down to an interview in London about a US immigration paralegal job. I don't know that he'll get it because he doesn't have the "client" experience but fingers crossed for him. It's also a temporary job (6 month maternity cover) but we're hoping the illusive full-time, permanent job is just around the corner!

Thanks for all your support thus far--it's certainly helped keep me from sinking into despair
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by just_jenn
Hi Folks,

Another update and this time with some more positive news. DH got a call from a local council that he'd interviewed for twice before about a temporary role. He interviewed for it on Monday and got a call offering him the position later in the day. The money isn't great and it's only a 4-month contract but hey, it's something!

But then he got *another* call later the same day to invite him down to an interview in London about a US immigration paralegal job. I don't know that he'll get it because he doesn't have the "client" experience but fingers crossed for him. It's also a temporary job (6 month maternity cover) but we're hoping the illusive full-time, permanent job is just around the corner!

Thanks for all your support thus far--it's certainly helped keep me from sinking into despair
That's great news jenn, tell your hubby congratulations

Funny how you can go for some time with no luck and then all of a sudden you've got more than one opportunity. That's exactly what happened to us.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Fantastic news, things are really looking up. Onwards and upwards!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

That is fantastic news, and as far as the London interview goes, maybe knowing he has a job "in the bag" already, he can relax and this will increase his chances of coming across well.

I've always said interviewing for a job is always harder when you don't have a job, so in the long term too, once he is working in whichever of the two jobs, his job-hunting will be less of a fraught experience.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Just-Jenn, oh, boy, your news has really cheered me up today!
Good luck to your husband, he must be buzzing with excitement!
It is typical, as Curleytops says, that two opportunities come along at once. Im pretty sure that happened to Mr J when he was last looking. PLEASE let us know how it turns out. Great news!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks folks! I keep calling his luck the "bus syndrome"! They've all turned up at once, haha. Will keep you posted on the London job.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

You folks are obviously my lucky stars for today because HE GOT THE SECOND JOB!!!! He is thrilled! We won't be quite as well off, as the train fares are astronomical, but it's in his field and there's more progression opportunities.

Hooray!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You folks are obviously my lucky stars for today because HE GOT THE SECOND JOB!!!! He is thrilled! We won't be quite as well off, as the train fares are astronomical, but it's in his field and there's more progression opportunities.

Hooray!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic! St Valentine is obviously your lucky saint!
He is mine, it's my birthday!
Anyway, this is great news for you both. I love it when life moves on!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jemima55
Fantastic! St Valentine is obviously your lucky saint!
He is mine, it's my birthday!
Anyway, this is great news for you both. I love it when life moves on!
I'll say! (And to the Amen too! Haha!). Happy Birthday! It's mine in a week's time too
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to Mr. just_jenn, happy birthday to jemima and happy valentine's day to everyone
Old Feb 14th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks! I keep calling his luck the "bus syndrome"! They've all turned up at once, haha. Will keep you posted on the London job.
Thats true isn't it
one leads to full time for him.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Very happy to hear news husband got a job. Sincerely hope it leads into something more permanent..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.