Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of
Smile amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone else been amazed at peoples reactions on telling them you are returning to the uk?
we run a business so we are in contact with the public every day.
today a woman took much delight,after i told her we had sold our house,in telling me how cold and wet it will be when we go back !.....................state the bleedin obvoius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i spent over thirty years there,so i think i would know what the weather will be like.!
why do people presume that everyone likes the heat?
i have had people swear at us when we have told them we were going back,i have even been told to see a councillor!!!!!!!!!!!!.i am shocked at how i try and be very diplomatic in my reasons,but then they seem to think they can give you 101 reasons why they are not going back.
why cant they say ...........................good luck and i wish you all the best!!!!!!!!
do they not realise that it is not easy to come to this decision?my OH and i cannot wait to shut the doors on our business! so we dont have to STAND ON TRAIL ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:56 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are pishing on their parade - you are not justifying their reasons to stay by saying you are returning.

Have faith and just laugh at it

And enjoy and enjoy your decision.

Cheers
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Errr have all these experts who seem to know where you should live ever even been to UK?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bubbles08
why cant they say ...........................good luck and i wish you all the best!!!!!!!!
because they are more than likely envious/jealous....just smile and wish them well
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:36 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone else been amazed at peoples reactions on telling them you are returning to the uk?
today a woman took much delight,after i told her we had sold our house,in telling me how cold and wet it will be when we go back !.....................state the bleedin obvoius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i spent over thirty years there,so i think i would know what the weather will be like.!
i have had people swear at us when we have told them we were going back,i have even been told to see a councillor!!!!!!!!!!!!.i am shocked at how i try and be very diplomatic in my reasons,but then they seem to think they can give you 101 reasons why they are not going back.
do they not realise that it is not easy to come to this decision?my OH and i cannot wait to shut the doors on our business! so we dont have to STAND ON TRAIL ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't listen to other people or try to make them happy or justify yourself. They will just do and think what they like anyway. Its a waste of energy.

We are off to Canada on Monday. It may be for the rest of our lives it might be for three years, its our choice if we decide to head back not anyone else's. They don't shut the door at the airport so you can't get back in.

There are lots of reasons why people move back to the UK and not all of us left it because we hated it.

We want to go for the experience/opportunity.

Keep your chin up and don't let them get you down

Karma sent
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup you will get a few of them but equally I am surprised you havent got the ones who just sigh and say "I wish I could go too!" Usually the older Poms who have been here for a lifetime in my experience.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
You are pishing on their parade - you are not justifying their reasons to stay by saying you are returning.

Have faith and just laugh at it

And enjoy and enjoy your decision.

Cheers
I think you have hit the nail right on the head their
Its amasing how many stop talking to you, because your doing what they haven't got the bottle to do......Or dare not admit too.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup you will get a few of them but equally I am surprised you havent got the ones who just sigh and say "I wish I could go too!" Usually the older Poms who have been here for a lifetime in my experience.
I got talking to an elderly man in the supermarket because I recognized his accent and made a comment about him being from Lancashire. I can't remember how the conversation went, but he said, "I hear it's gone to the dogs. We're better off here."

But he said it so SADLY, kind of lost.

I wasn't going to get into that with a stranger in a supermarket, but I said it wasn't that bad. He asked if I'd ever been back and I said yes, a couple of years ago and we've been back regularly over the years.

I don't know if that changed his thinking at all. I don't know if he should go back or could, but it seemed so sad that a part of him wanted to and he'd been scared off.

Being in the wrong place is soul-sucking, but then that's no news here.

For some reason, I'm thinking of The Prisoner. Lovely place to be, but if anyone tries to leave the barriers slam up and those weird bubbles hunt them down!

Bev
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Im amazed at the people here who think Australia i the best country in the world.
My wife's relatives who are 2nd generation Scots say things like "another day in paradise"

Poorer education,working conditions,maternity pay, etc?????

If I was paranoid I would be suggesting that there is something in the water.

Glad to be leaving

I work with an aussie whos father is English and has spent a hile there and he has told me he would like to live in the uk but his wife has never been outside Australia and wouldn't leave.
He told me he was envious of my decision to leave
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I haven't had negative comments, certainly not from people I actually RESPECT (most of whom are well travelled and/or from overseas themselves so know there is more to life than a McMansion in a suburb).

One random guy did start to say something but I silenced him with an icy stare and a "Travelled much have you?" comment - OP you may like to try this strategy.

Having said that I don't go into an anti-Aus rant either I just state matter of factly I would rather live in the UK nearer to F&F - even the most ignorant can usually understand this reasoning surely.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Its our first Christmas in Australia and Im missing the English holiday season including the weather to be honest, it just dosnt feel like Christmas here at all with the sun and no family around us, I even have a snowy scene on my computer desktop Im missing it that much.

I certainly wish you all the luck and hope you find happyness back home with your family and friends, were not planning to move back right now but the next few weeks are going to be tough for us.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to both of you
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Yes ... and I am one of those oldies

all I can say from experiece if you are still young enough and find that there is something missing in your life in OZ...GO HOME NOW... because there will always be something missing no matter how long you live here. Sadly when someone asks ( what is missing you can;t explain it ) you know in your heart you just don't belong.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Bubbles it shows the state of mind in those left behind.
Get the feeling that people who react in such a way are deep down envious of the decision you have arrived at.....or they themselves have serious issues being in OZ but will not admit it even to themselves.(why on earth would they feel the need to state reasons why they are staying??)Trying to convince all around them that they done the right thing by coming out and the fact that you are returning some how challenges their belief,you know the type i refer to i am sure.(goes like this)Isnt it so great to be out of that festering sink of a dump,called England brigade.They tend to put on a facade which can be very convincing in the attempt to fool themselves,
remain positive no matter what ,do not question, just get on with it and hope it will or come right,or that failing they convince them selves that it is a better place to raise kids.
Other wise why would anyone besides, to wish you luck, comment on such a thing?
You are doing what is right for you and good luck on return
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevin747
Im amazed at the people here who think Australia i the best country in the world.
My wife's relatives who are 2nd generation Scots say things like "another day in paradise"

Poorer education,working conditions,maternity pay, etc?????

If I was paranoid I would be suggesting that there is something in the water.

Glad to be leaving

I work with an aussie whos father is English and has spent a hile there and he has told me he would like to live in the uk but his wife has never been outside Australia and wouldn't leave.
He told me he was envious of my decision to leave
the simple fact is that for some people life is better here. we are all different and require different stimuli.
as for poorer working conditions I get paid super, leave loading, a much bigger salary, better environment, social fund for outing paid by the company and a whole host of other benefits I didn't get in Scotland. My wife gets a range of benefits working for Virgin, also superior to her UK position.
As for education, if my circle of Aussie friends are anything to go by, the education system seems to work fine.
This of course, like your post, is only my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.