Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:58 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: amazed at peoples reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Its our first Christmas in Australia and Im missing the English holiday season including the weather to be honest, it just dosnt feel like Christmas here at all with the sun and no family around us, I even have a snowy scene on my computer desktop Im missing it that much.

I certainly wish you all the luck and hope you find happyness back home with your family and friends, were not planning to move back right now but the next few weeks are going to be tough for us.
Christmas and the lead up is always a very bad time for me and this will be our 12th one here. Where are you in Oz?

Originally Posted by bubbles08
Hi martink
you hit the nail on the head when you said you could be happy there.So despite the dreary weather you could be.?
maybe these people that have been challenging to my reasons for going back maybe think the same thing.in actual fact ,i came upon this this of person at a bbq the other week we had signed for the house about 30 minutes before arriving and we did a dance ,all of us in the kitchen!!!!!!!! relieved that that was over and we were so excited Arrived at our friends.,to sit down with a glass of wine, and for a good hour be bombarded with questions..............
why ?dont you know its cold? dont you loads of pubs have shut?
The winner was ..............".there are loads of immigrants in uk" ha ha .what i dont get is why he did not think he was in some one elses country.that is a classic! after all this ,he tells me he is homesick and wants to go back..............Priceless!
Oi, when were you thinking of telling me?

After out lengthy telephone conversation and a glass of wine, I am now in tears. Happy for you and sad for me. I know we will see you before you go and of course, when we finally get home too, but I just want to wish you happy landings and nothing but the very best of luck. Hugs to you all. x
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hey now i am crying!x thanks for that and i hope we do see you in uk x
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you mean 'this is about you, not them'

No. You make the decision to stay or leave for yourself, and that's all that really matters. Other people's attitudes and unwanted remarks are about them, and probably reflect their own doubts and insecurities. I wonder how many of them envy you?

Dreary is probably the right word for the UK weather. From what I can remember, it never gets brutally cold, but it's miserable. I know I'll struggle with it, but my wife is there and that's more important to me.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:19 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
Don't you mean 'this is about you, not them'

No. You make the decision to stay or leave for yourself, and that's all that really matters. Other people's attitudes and unwanted remarks are about them, and probably reflect their own doubts and insecurities. I wonder how many of them envy you?

Dreary is probably the right word for the UK weather. From what I can remember, it never gets brutally cold, but it's miserable. I know I'll struggle with it, but my wife is there and that's more important to me.
Bubbles isn't just talking about other British expats though Martyn, she has had Australians abuse her and her OH and South Africans too.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I take your point. I have come across a few similar situations in SA with people pouring cold water all over friends and family who decide to emigrate, particularly to the UK (emigrating to Oz seems to be a lot more acceptable!), and a lot of Rhodesians were accused of doing the "chicken run" in the 70s.

I still find it quite difficult to understand why people abuse others for making choices which don't affect them in any way at all. No-one is abusing them for choosing to stay in Australia, the US, SA or whatever. The only explanation I can think of is that the abuse reflects some sort of insecurity or negativity in their own lives, or envy. A friend of mine planned to go to Australia some years ago. He went through the process and was accepted, then his wife changed her mind and refused to go because she didn't want to leave her family. They got divorced at some point after that, and my friend is still eaten up with anger and bitterness, because of the "lost opportunity", and he's too old to meet the Australian government's criteria now. He's pretty vocal about people wanting to leave. I just ignore him when he gets on to that track. There's no point in arguing with him, and I'm not particularly interested in his views anyway.

Last edited by MartynK; Dec 4th 2008 at 8:45 am. Reason: correction
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:02 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by MartynK
OK, I take your point. I have come across a few similar situations in SA with people pouring cold water all over friends and family who decide to emigrate, particularly to the UK (emigrating to Oz seems to be a lot more acceptable!), and a lot of Rhodesians were accused of doing the "chicken run" in the 70s.

I still find it quite difficult to understand why people abuse others for making choices which don't affect them in any way at all. No-one is abusing them for choosing to stay in Australia, the US, SA or whatever. The only explanation I can think of is that the abuse reflects some sort of insecurity or negativity in their own lives, or envy. A friend of mine planned to go to Australia some years ago. He went through the process and was accepted, then his wife changed her mind and refused to go because she didn't want to leave her family. They got divorced at some point after that, and my friend is still eaten up with anger and bitterness, because of the "lost opportunity", and he's too old to meet the Australian government's criteria now. He's pretty vocal about people wanting to leave. I just ignore him when he gets on to that track. There's no point in arguing with him, and I'm not particularly interested in his views anyway.
I'm with you on this, I just don't understand why people get so uptight about what others are doing or intend doing with their lives. I want to go home, have done for many years now, but I gave up mentioning it to anyone here as I couldn't be bothered to deal with the negative reactions I almost always received.

I think the Australians are a pretty insecure and insular race on the whole and I've learned since living here, that the majority just cannot, or will not, accept that anyone could actually prefer to live in any other country but theirs.

How many famous Australians can you name that actually live in their home country? I can't name any, they are all living in either the USA or the UK, now there has to be more to that than just work doesn't there?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

what really annoys me is people who think Australia is the best nation in the world without a doubt best everything etc etc and then when you ask them what they have to compare it to they tell you they have never left the country...

I also think people will try to knock you down and try to put doubts in your mind about going back (it's happened with me) People saying your friends in England will have moved on (hasn't happened), the bad weather (does not bother me one bit). I couldn't care less what other people think about going back to England to be honest I know I want to and thats good enough for me

Last edited by Nathan84; Dec 10th 2008 at 3:24 am.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've come across some real pratts and it's the English ones who are the worst. It seems to really bother them that you prefer where they left to where there living. Talk about get a life.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:19 am
'In limboland'

The OP may not be able to come on here for awhile now. She and her family are good friends of ours and their belongings have now been packed up and are ready to be shipped back home. They leave in the early hours of Sunday morning and I shall miss them. Safe journey home sweeties and we'll see you in England next year some time.xx
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:35 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Life's a journey! Not to get too deep here, but life's all about learning isn't it? Learn what you like, what you don't like? No-one is bothered about criticising you if you've tried (but don't like) mushy peas! Why should they criticise you for trying and not liking where you've emigrated to?

Best of luck to you for making a tough decision that, at the end of the day, affects YOU, not THEM!

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

My Son let slip to the owner of Gloria Jeans near us that we were off to the UK soon.

Each time we have been in there he now makes some remark against the UK or directed at us because we 'dare to leave OZ'!

Firstly he spelt out to my 9 year old that we would be COLD, COLD,COLD (my Son replied that he was hoping it would be snowing when he got back as he hated the hot weather)!

He then went on to say that we were coming in for coffees as much as we can because all the coffee places are rubbish in the UK.

The latest is that he doesn't think he should serve us as we are going back the other way!

Can you believe it from a man, I would say 55 plus, a teacher by day but on the other hand yes we can as he is an Aussie and hasn't set foot out of OZ!

Hence we now go down to The Dome for our final decent coffees here!

Find it annoying but with only 2 weeks to go couldn't be bothered to answer back to his immature remarks.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborahjane
My Son let slip to the owner of Gloria Jeans near us that we were off to the UK soon.

Each time we have been in there he now makes some remark against the UK or directed at us because we 'dare to leave OZ'!

Firstly he spelt out to my 9 year old that we would be COLD, COLD,COLD (my Son replied that he was hoping it would be snowing when he got back as he hated the hot weather)!

He then went on to say that we were coming in for coffees as much as we can because all the coffee places are rubbish in the UK.

The latest is that he doesn't think he should serve us as we are going back the other way!

Can you believe it from a man, I would say 55 plus, a teacher by day but on the other hand yes we can as he is an Aussie and hasn't set foot out of OZ!

Hence we now go down to The Dome for our final decent coffees here!

Find it annoying but with only 2 weeks to go couldn't be bothered to answer back to his immature remarks.
My little retort to this type of tosh is

"I find the uk more stimulating "and the one they hate is
"Nah! I would bring my money here or entrust this country with my children's future"

Not surprisingly the average aussie is too one dimensional to reply to that one

I always sign off with a compliment about the weather and fish.Confuses them .
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree anything other than "How's your Day Going" confuses them!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

My other favourite is when people say"Give it 2 years" Is that when you accept all that is 2nd rate.I suppose after that time you become accustomed to the place.

One year and a bit is enough for me.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevin747
My other favourite is when people say"Give it 2 years" Is that when you accept all that is 2nd rate.I suppose after that time you become accustomed to the place.

One year and a bit is enough for me.
Nah, 2 weeks was enough for me lol.

Always will be nice for a holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.