Wikiposts

Am I crazy?

Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I crazy?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Whatever anyone decides to do about moving back here to the United Kingdom for whatever reason I would suggest they do not do so at least until the Spring eventually arrives on these icy shores.....if it all turns out as bad as forecast it could inflict quite a lot of harm on the UK economy as we in this country are ****ing cr*p when it comes to coping with heavy snow and ice, as has been proved already since winter took a grip much earlier than usual this year - in November.
Having lived in Canada, I think this is really cute. "Icy shores" ...

And yes, Canadians may grit their roads, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with sub zero temperatures for 5 months solid. I'm pretty sure I can hack it in the UK.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 14th 2010 at 2:00 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
I have successfully negotiated without incident the major motorways from Newcastle London, Bath to Norwich region, covering 1700 miles in two weeks. Without delay or traffic. Call me lucky? Maybe but I think the media have certainly talked a good job of snow
Surely you are not accusing the Daily Mail of exaggerated doom and gloom???? For shame!!!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Having lived in Canada, I think this is really cute. "Icy shores" ...

And yes, Canadians may grit their roads, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with sub zero temperatures for 5 months solid. I'm pretty sure I can hack it in the UK.
Totally agree Sal, anything after Canada is going to be a breeze! We have lately had temperatures of -14C (with the windchill around -23C), so bring on the UK winters
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2passports
Has anyone out there left a perfectly nice place, nice life to return to the UK? I have been in the US for 21 years, Washington, DC, my husband's hometown. For the past few years I have been thinking more and more about returning, although I don't have any close family in the UK. I think I'm just homesick in general. After all these years, I still feel more at home with Brit people and culture. Also, husband's parents have now both passed away, so we have no real ties to hold us here. BUT we have a nice little house, nice life. I have had people tell me I'd be crazy to go back. I know it would be disruptive and expensive to move. I just don't want to have regrets.
You are not crazy, life in the States is not like it used to be especially CA. I left CA after living there for 40 years and came to Italy. Being an Italian citizen, Italy seemed like a logical choice. Now after a year in Italy I am seriously thinking about moving to the UK. I love Italy, the weather the lifestyle even the people, but business here is horrible, the people in Italy refuse to advance and the ones who do have their hands in your pockets trying to steal whatever they can, It's really sad, but true. I hope to find a balance in the UK between the States and Italy, maybe it exists and maybe it doesn't but it's a new adventure I am looking forward to. Good luck
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

cinzia is an unknown quantity at this point

I say, follow your heart, only you know how you feel, its not the end of the world if you go back to England and it doesnt work out. But i must say i do agree with you, there is a constant pull back to your roots! I am fortunate i live in Italy, and to go back to England is not that far away, and i go back whenever i feel the need to. Good luck on your decision.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:20 am
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Whatever anyone decides to do about moving back here to the United Kingdom for whatever reason I would suggest they do not do so at least until the Spring eventually arrives on these icy shores.....if it all turns out as bad as forecast it could inflict quite a lot of harm on the UK economy as we in this country are ****ing cr*p when it comes to coping with heavy snow and ice, as has been proved already since winter took a grip much earlier than usual this year - in November.

But I do think that the idea of skiing to work instead of driving could be quite a lot of fun.......driving has been an absolute nightmare so far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-MONTH.html
Lothianlad, I think I remember from some of your previous posts that you are pretty bothered by the weather way up where you live. I went to university in Scotland, and I know the lack of daylight in the winter because of the short days really got to me. If I ever lived there again, the first thing I would do it buy one of those sun lamps that stop you getting depressed! Do you have the opportunity to go somewhere sunny for a while, even if not emigrate. A neighbor of mine joined a house swap website and had a really good experience. It's a cheap way to live somewhere else for more than just a holiday, if you have some free time.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2passports
Lothianlad, I think I remember from some of your previous posts that you are pretty bothered by the weather way up where you live.. and I know the lack of daylight in the winter because of the short days...If I ever lived there again, the first thing I would do it buy one of those sun lamps that stop you getting depressed! Do you have the opportunity to go somewhere sunny for a while, even if not emigrate.
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. I've lived in Edinburgh all my life apart from short spells working in London and much as I adore London and all it has to offer andwhich appeals to me, I am always happy to be back in Edinburgh especially as I have finally left the parental home and now share a flat with my partner in Stockbridge, a lovely location inthe city and much closer to the city centre, but the living costs are quite something! But it's fun nontheless.

The weather this winter and the very short Scottish days - now at their very shortest with little more than 7 hours of daylight, but then I think of the good people of Hammerfest, in northern Norway (a place I have been to and where I think I ate my weight in fish for the duration of my stay there) where the poor souls don't have any daylight at all right now.

It's turning out to be a horrible winter here - again, worse thsan last year's - by UK standards - very cold, really hard frosts, penetrating winds with mounds of snow and after about three days of "mildish" conditions the cold is back again and forecasters say a White Christmas in much of the UK is more or less "guaranteed". The good old Daily Mail says the bad weather will last until February....very cold, but not at all cool.

I know what you mean about sun lamps but although I regularly work out at the gym I haven't done the sun lamps thing at all - are they absolutely safe? Unfortunately I have very fair and sensitive skin and turn red and burn quite easily. I don't think I am any more prone to bouts of depression than the average person, but even so I reckon I could well be so affected to some degree in certain circumstances. Perhaps one of those circumstances is the ever more firm realisation that I will never actually emigrate to another country after all, to experience life in a different cultural environment, for reasons I have stated in another post. That has tended to make me feel a wee bit low, but then I know how lucky I am to have what I have got in my life now, including a partner who has made no secret of the fact that he has absolutely no intention of emigrating anywhere. If he maintains that he would not even consider moving down to England unless it was really worth his while to do so, then a move to anywhere else outside of the UK is a total non starter. He says that he would seriously miss too much so many things he loves about Scotland and the UK generally, things which he says are "unique" to this country. I don't think I could adequately argue against that too well, really.

My sister and her husband have a second home near Antequera, in the Andalucia province of Southern Spain (their main home is in Glasgow) so if I fancy a dose of real sunshine then I have popped down there occasionally, but most of the time it is occupied by other people from the UK to whom it has been let. The last time I was down there it was over 40C in the shade, and I spent most of the time in the pool.

Thanks again for your post.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Dec 17th 2010 at 8:45 am.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 10:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Lothianlad, it would be nice if you and your partner went over the border and explored some of the Southern counties of England, the weather is definitely milder down in the South and there are some stunning places to be seen.

Also re the sun lamp this is not the same as the tanning beds, keep right away from them, especially as you have fair skin. There is a movement on here to get them banned completely as Australia has the highest rate of melanoma and surely doesn't need any more help.

I think the lamps being talked about are lighting boxes for sufferers of S.A.D. Seasonal Affective Disorder...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasona...ctive_disorder

My daughter reckons she would get this majorly if she had to live in the UK.

The lights are not cheap but way cheaper than a one way ticket to Australia.