British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Always wanted to......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/always-wanted-755794/)

brits1 Apr 22nd 2012 1:34 am

Always wanted to.........

We have just come back from a visit from a short visit to London, we stayed in a lovely hotel in Kensington (really reasonably priced) and one of the things we have always wanted to do (and had not done on previous visits to London) was visit the Albert & Victoria Museum and take a walk around Hyde Park, well we did both last week and it was just lovely to do both, we have been lucky to visit a lot of Major Cities both here and overseas and have enjoyed doing so but London, its Gem of a City and in a way we have taken it for granted but will definitely visit again....just wondered about anyone else's "Always wanted to.." oh and nothing rude please lol...

lf1 Apr 22nd 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Always wanted to.........

Visit Skara Brae and see the rest of Orkney

Return to Iona

Walk in the Yorkshire Dales

Snap Shot Apr 22nd 2012 2:13 pm

Visit Norway, Denmark, Sweden & other parts of Northern Europe I can't think of right now, with our departure point being in the UK. By that I mean I would like to be living in Britain by then. I'm planning that for the future.

Visit the North York moors.

I'd love to visit London and return to visit our old haunts. See a west end show, just feel the atmosphere of the hustle and bustle. See more than four cars queuing at the traffic lights, that's considered heavy traffic in this town !

Stormer999 Apr 22nd 2012 3:34 pm

We went down for along weekend and stayed in Bishopsgate and were amazed how cleaned up the city was. Totally better than expected and far cleaner than the midland cities we were used to. Only downside about where we stayed was all the shops shut Saturday and Sunday as the offices were all empty as everyone had commuted home.;)

brits1 Apr 22nd 2012 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10019578)
We have just come back from a visit from a short visit to London, we stayed in a lovely hotel in Kensington (really reasonably priced) and one of the things we have always wanted to do (and had not done on previous visits to London) was visit the Albert & Victoria Museum and take a walk around Hyde Park, well we did both last week and it was just lovely to do both, we have been lucky to visit a lot of Major Cities both here and overseas and have enjoyed doing so but London, its Gem of a City and in a way we have taken it for granted but will definitely visit again....just wondered about anyone else's "Always wanted to.." oh and nothing rude please lol...

Another place I have always wanted to visit is Pompeii ......since High School.....a looooooooong time ago lol and visit the Lake District when its not raining:) just a lottery win and I am sure I can make a list, a very long list of things to do!!!!!!

Stormer999 Apr 22nd 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10020532)
Another place I have always wanted to visit is Pompeii ......since High School.....a looooooooong time ago lol and visit the Lake District when its not raining:) just a lottery win and I am sure I can make a list, a very long list of things to do!!!!!!

Pompeii is a big big let down visit the other one Herculaneum....the Lake district is there because of the rain and far too full....;) We travelled Europe by train and since the Euro took over so has uniformity......shame!:thumbdown: Just bloody expensive........couldn't afford the beer....:eek:

Garbatellamike Apr 22nd 2012 8:41 pm

I second Stormers point on Herculaneum versus Pompeii, I went there 2 weeks ago, it was absoulutely fantastic, whilst Pompeii is crumbling these days.

Moreover, don't forget there is also extensive excavations at Ostia Antica (near Rome), which again is in much better condition than Pompeii.

Beaverstate Apr 22nd 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10020619)
I second Stormers point on Herculaneum versus Pompeii, I went there 2 weeks ago, it was absoulutely fantastic, whilst Pompeii is crumbling these days.

Moreover, don't forget there is also extensive excavations at Ostia Antica (near Rome), which again is in much better condition than Pompeii.

Learn to scuba dive. Don't know whats holding me back.

BristolUK Apr 23rd 2012 3:04 am

Red Square. There was definitely something about just standing there. The Guard change is a must. Assuming they still do it.:unsure:

Eiffel Tower, sitting in Parisian Cafes, seeing the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo :)

Old Wembley Stadium - loved it.:)

The noise of Cairo - like an explosion opening your hotel balcony door. The Pyramids - magical.

Niagara Falls - like being on the edge of the world.

Grand Canyon - not done that one.

Disappointments: Canal trip in Amsterdam - "on your left you can see a warehouse, look to yur right and you see a warehouse" :lol:

The Sphinx - encased in wooden scaffolding:(

kwazywabbit Apr 23rd 2012 4:17 am

When We get back to the UK. Would love to go see Dover Castle and Hadrian's wall. I have seen more of Europe and the world than the UK. not good lol.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 23rd 2012 6:22 am

Dh would like to visit the Hermitage in St Petersburg.
I would like to see more of UK. Yorkshire, Scotland, The lake district, etc etc.

brits1 Apr 23rd 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10020579)
Pompeii is a big big let down visit the other one Herculaneum....the Lake district is there because of the rain and far too full....;) We travelled Europe by train and since the Euro took over so has uniformity......shame!:thumbdown: Just bloody expensive........couldn't afford the beer....:eek:

Our nephew said the same about Herculaneum v Pompeii (they visited last year on their honeymoon!!!!) I love the Lake District but never visited it when its dry lol.....not sure if thats possible to do....

brits1 Apr 23rd 2012 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10021413)
Dh would like to visit the Hermitage in St Petersburg.
I would like to see more of UK. Yorkshire, Scotland, The lake district, etc etc.

Yorkshire is just lovely especially The Ridings and has a wonderful Coastline....We got married in Scotland (Gretna Green) and toured the Scottish west coast afterwards, Gairlock has a wonderful beach....and the weather was glorious...since we have been back in the UK we visited Glasgow and Edinburgh......South Devon, Norfolk and London...just short breaks and its been lovely to see your own country

brits1 Apr 23rd 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10021121)
Red Square. There was definitely something about just standing there. The Guard change is a must. Assuming they still do it.:unsure:

Eiffel Tower, sitting in Parisian Cafes, seeing the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo :)

Old Wembley Stadium - loved it.:)

The noise of Cairo - like an explosion opening your hotel balcony door. The Pyramids - magical.

Niagara Falls - like being on the edge of the world.

Grand Canyon - not done that one.

Disappointments: Canal trip in Amsterdam - "on your left you can see a warehouse, look to yur right and you see a warehouse" :lol:

The Sphinx - encased in wooden scaffolding:(

The Valley of the Kings was a bit of a let down and Luxor was an eye opener but would not of missed it for anything....

New York is also up there for places I would like to visit and New England...

Back2UK Apr 23rd 2012 7:47 am

Visit all the places that I didn't visit before I left the UK. (Stupid me).

I also want to go to the Grand National to experience the atmosphere.

Do a tour of China.:)