Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to all the Yorkshire lads and lassies going home!

to all the Yorkshire lads and lassies going home!

Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Default Re: to all the Yorkshire lads and lassies going home!

I don't think it would be normal to not have doubts especially if you have a family because it does involve a big upheaval. the first time was easy for us as it was just me and my OH but this time we have 2 children to consider. Who knows we may get back and think it was a big mistake but this time we are going to have to commit ourselves to the move and stay until the boys leave education. Last time we just went with our backpacks and went on an adventure, this time we are looking for a new lifestyle (or the old one back that we had when we were out their last time).

Where and when are you hoping to go over there?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
I am hoping to return to Yorkshire one day. 2011 or 2012

Where in yorkshire you off to?

I am hoping to go back to Doncaster.

I was born in Sheffield...lived there until I was almost 20 then moved to Cheshire. I've been in the US for 14 years. If we move back to the UK we would go back to Cheshire...mainly because our immediate families live there and our friends.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marbles
I understand about family too, but we have found that we don't see them very much, they go about with their lives as do we and because we have been away for so long with living down south and then abroad, that we haven't got that much in common with them. It certainly wasn't worth coming all the way back over here for them which is a real shame.
One of the reasons we came back to canada was to be with our family. Mine are expats themselves and his are Canadians. We see my side about once every 2-3 months, due to them living 3 hours away (we have no car). His are estranged now. My mom and dad are thinking of retiring even further north by an additional 4 hours. I understand the real shame bit about coming back for them. When I told my mom this time i wanted to go back to Doncaster, she was very supportive and said make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Originally Posted by marbles
Nowhere is perfect which is hard, I think once you have moved once i think you will always have itchy feet and look for the good and bad in places and it becomes harder to settle down. You just have to choose which is the best one for you at the time.
I am very worried this is my problem. I hope not
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:53 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Aug 2011 and wherever work first takes us. It will be NI as the South is too quite for us after living in the busy land for so long. OH is a Clinical Scientist so she will be the main 'ticket' with me as baggage. The difficult part will be finding her a position in her field of work. I don't think people returning to live in the UK realise the rate of change that is taking place so rapidly. What they are really looking for is to go back in time!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Aug 2011 and wherever work first takes us. It will be NI as the South is too quite for us after living in the busy land for so long. OH is a Clinical Scientist so she will be the main 'ticket' with me as baggage. The difficult part will be finding her a position in her field of work. I don't think people returning to live in the UK realise the rate of change that is taking place so rapidly. What they are really looking for is to go back in time!

Yes my hubby is the "ticket" too. When we came back to Canada, so much had changed, all the things I was going on about being better in Canada, they weren't there really. Some were, but not as much as I remembered. I wonder if I was in such a depression that I had a desperation to go back- making me have a sever case of rose coloured glasses and grass is greener mentality.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was born in Sheffield...lived there until I was almost 20 then moved to Cheshire. I've been in the US for 14 years. If we move back to the UK we would go back to Cheshire...mainly because our immediate families live there and our friends.

LoL your yorkshire quote in your sig..... it is what my hubby says to me - more often than not
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

we found that, the bits about the uk we missed were not really there when we got here. I wished we had come back on holiday first to decide rather than making that full move. I'm sure if we'd visited for a while we would have realised that we had a lot more where we were (NZ).
Were hoping to be back in december/january, depending on me getting a job, i'm a teacher so i'm just waiting for the jobs to start coming out. We're also looking at the north island, we used to live in wanangui but would love to settle in Tauranga this time so its much closer to auckland and its bigger, we went a bit stir crazy in wanganui as it was in the middle of nowhere but if we had to go there because of a job then we would (my mum still lives there so we have the ties)

Last edited by marbles; Jun 4th 2010 at 1:12 pm.