Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to all who are thinking of returning!

to all who are thinking of returning!

Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:48 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: to all who are thinking of returning!

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Complicated is correct but none of us (as much as we love them and want to be a part of their lives) can live our lives through our kids. Nor can we decide what path they will take. You could spend the rest of your life here in perth, and they might buggar off to melb or syd for brighter lights anyway.

I know it's easier to jump a plane to the east coast than from UK to OZ, but the reality is people get on with living in their own little world.

Perhaps the kids might see moving to the UK as an opportunity to see and learn more than they would here, I mean europe would be at their doorstep, and their grandparents, etc

To spend the rest of your life in a place you feel no connection/sense of belonging with, or enjoyment in on a day to day basis, is to numb the senses and slowly kill a part of one's soul.
never a truer word said kiwi ,but making the final decision is harder than i imagined .
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:56 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Is your OH an Aussie?

The complete family unit, I will remember to use that when I speak, again, to the Hubby. I know that when the boys are old enough they will more than likely travel to live and work in the UK/Europe anyway, and where will I be, stuck here, that's where. Bloomin well hope not!

Is it better for the kids to have a happy mum who feels at home and content, or one that is enduring what she sees as some kind of prison sentence for the sake of the family, and pretending all is well? They must feel it and it can't be good for them.

My eldest is 6 and the youngest 10 months, but even so, time will fly and decisions need to be made.
My OH is english ,she is a strong woman but she does feel like me to a certain degree that life is mundane [too mundane] and there is no soul to the place but she can easily more accept her lot than i can .
My eldest is going to germany in May with his german girlfriend and i have asked him for my own selfish reasons to try and not come back to australia as more than likely [hopefully ]we will have made a final decision by then as we are going back for a visit in february for a month ,then i think my OH will see a definate change in me instead of being like a machine and living for work i will definately will be working to live like i did for 4 months in 2005-2006 ,but we shall see .
The thing i tend to take solace from is by and large the ones that go back are seeing the uk in different light than they did when they first came to australia ,i know for me it would be like being reborn again i think ,i know i always feel great when landing as heathrow and im as miserable as sin when getting on the plane back to here .

Last edited by sassenach; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:59 am.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Complicated is correct but none of us (as much as we love them and want to be a part of their lives) can live our lives through our kids. Nor can we decide what path they will take. You could spend the rest of your life here in perth, and they might buggar off to melb or syd for brighter lights anyway.

I know it's easier to jump a plane to the east coast than from UK to OZ, but the reality is people get on with living in their own little world.

Perhaps the kids might see moving to the UK as an opportunity to see and learn more than they would here, I mean europe would be at their doorstep, and their grandparents, etc

To spend the rest of your life in a place you feel no connection/sense of belonging with, or enjoyment in on a day to day basis, is to numb the senses and slowly kill a part of one's soul.
I was just thinking this myself today.You can't follow your children around for the rest of your life.Like you said they could move anywhere and not give you a thought.It is a difficult one though but many of us need the peace of where we belong for whatever reason
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:51 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Some go away and love it, some go away and hate it but for anyone thinking or returning to the uk who's been away a few yrs make sure you really think about what your giving up. Put those rose tinted specs away and see the UK forwhat it really is. I've lived in Oz, come back home, been out and visited, come back home and now i'm going back out again for a few yrs. England certainly isnt the place it once was, believe. There are lots and lots of problems here at the moment especially in London. Houses are very over priced, crime and violence are spiraling out of controll (if your burgled they wont even send an officer out to see you anymore!) Tony Blair and the Labour party are selling the place up the river. The NHS is joke. The building trade is getting SCREWED thanks to these total strokers in govenment and the whole country is overun with foreigners (mostly eastern european) bringing the day rates down to what they were 4 yrs ago in some trades (bricklaying, spreads, chipies, stud partitioners, dryliners) we are heading into recession an the economy is *****ed. This is the reality of life in Britian today. I love the place and it will always be my home but some of the posts i read in this forum are just totaly unrealistic, i dont think we're even talking about the same place. Who could really care less about Tesco's? eh? please. You may not like certain places or things about Oz but dont be too hard on it cos life is far harder here. I wish everone luck with their decisions butmany need to remove the blinkers.
Alternatively, move out of London.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived with crime ( I live in Baltimore, USA, crime capital of the east coast), I don't care about the weather, NHS, Tescos. My reasons for returning are simple. I miss my family and friends. They live in the UK and I want to go HOME.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simongb
My reasons for returning are simple. I miss my family and friends. They live in the UK and I want to go HOME.
.... and nobody will ever come up with a better reason for going home.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:12 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
'I live in a village. It's a lovely village with a proper post office, butchers, bakers, village hall, library etc etc etc.'

Hope the Post Office isn't one of the many rural ones that are due to be closed ... and really hope Tesco's don't build a store nearby which would then cause the butcher , baker and candle stick maker to close ... like in lots of other UK towns and villages
Yes, cos of course that is happening in every town and village in the UK, isn't it

Actually, there is a tescos two miles away, and the post office is thriving so no danger there either.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tony_russell
I'm not knocking the NHS, well at least not the staff, my sister is a nurse. I'm saying its a joke, its run by incompetant accountants and is at breaking point through lack of investment and mismanagement of funds. Nurses are working 12hr+ shifts even though there are record numbers of nurses coming through training. They just dont have the money to pay them.
CTB, Yes London is booming for a few who live in half a dozen streets in chelsea and hamstead and earn million pound city bonuses but for the man in the street it's a differant storey.
Totally agree with you about London, unless you are earning over 700 pounds per week in London, life will be a struggle. I cant afford to do anything intersting, have not bought many clothes this year, another weekend trapped in doors in gloomy weather. I agree with your postings Tony. People may feel more at home in the UK, miss family and friends, prefer the way and life of culture of the UK and so return, fine, but I feel my blood boiling when I read a lot of the posters slamming Oz for minor thing after minor thing. Melbourne, perth, Adelaide, Sydney are in the worlds top ten cities for living, time after time. But, no, Australia is a s***hole. I just don't get it!!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Totally agree with you about London, unless you are earning over 700 pounds per week in London, life will be a struggle. I cant afford to do anything intersting, have not bought many clothes this year, another weekend trapped in doors in gloomy weather. I agree with your postings Tony. People may feel more at home in the UK, miss family and friends, prefer the way and life of culture of the UK and so return, fine, but I feel my blood boiling when I read a lot of the posters slamming Oz for minor thing after minor thing. Melbourne, perth, Adelaide, Sydney are in the worlds top ten cities for living, time after time. But, no, Australia is a s***hole. I just don't get it!!

you whinge all the time about london and whine, the feelings you have for london are the same feelings people have for oz, look at the title of this forum '.returning to the uk'. people here are feeling the same way bout oz and doing something about it. short life so i would say if you can dont live life in misery do something about it.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:53 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Yeah, there is crap everywhere.

As for the OP, leaving the UK because of the NHS/house prices/police/government IMO is not a good reason to go, and perhaps certainly not to Australia for those reasons. Australia has the same issues - some better, some worse - plus a whole host more that you don't even realise until you get there. Better to go somewhere because you want to try something new, rather than trying to "escape" the issues at home.

PaulRach, good luck back in UK. You didn't "fail", you just tried and didn't like. How is that failing? No-one says you have to like it!
What are the problems that are worse?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Different issue affect different people. You don't need me to tell you that. (or do you? )

All countries have issues,so you don't need to be an expert on Australia or the UK (I'm neither) to know that there are issues.

Let's start with an obvious one: drought. Big issue. It affects millions of people on a domestic level and millions of livelihoods. Medicare funding, dental crisis, police funding, teacher shortage, corruption. These are issues in Australia. Perhaps, for example, Medicare funding is not an issue, unless you are a parent of child patient who has had their operation cancelled for the 3rd time. Teenage pregnancy - there are areas in Australia where teenage pregnancy rates are higher than equivalently populated areas in the UK. Drink driving, drugs, traffic congestion, crime, litter, vandalism. Need I go on?

Come on, you may not like London, but please, for your own sake, don't pretend that Australia does not have social, economic, political, environmental issues.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

another weekend trapped in doors in gloomy weather. I agree with your postings Tony. People may feel more at home in the UK, miss family and friends, prefer the way and life of culture of the UK and so return, fine, but I feel my blood boiling when I read a lot of the posters slamming Oz for minor thing after minor thing. Melbourne, perth, Adelaide, Sydney are in the worlds top ten cities for living, time after time. But, no, Australia is a s***hole. I just don't get it!!
Trapped indoors? Why???? Are you allergic to cloud/rain/cold? FFS, have you got no imagination? I took my 2-year old out to a NT park today. It was pouring with rain so we put on our waterproofs and wellies, and had fun with her on her new bike, jumping in puddles, talking to the ducks.

Your problem is that you can't/won't adapt. Nobody says you have to....if you don't want to then fair enough. The only issue I have is with you taking exception to people criticising "minor" things with Australia, and yet here you are whinging that you were "trapped" indoors because it was 'gloomy'. Pot, kettle, if you ask me.

p.s do you actually know what those "world's most liveable city" surveys are based on?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:51 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

The murder rate for one...
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:57 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blowfly
Wel I lived like this too.As for the post offices closing well were I live there isn't even a letter box to put your mail in for collection. I wonder what the elderley do here? In the village they could catch a bus, go to the bakers, butchers,village hall, library, church,chemist and all by themselves. Haven't a clue how the poor sods get on here there isn't even a decent bus service.
They drive , they can afford to as petrol cost half what it does in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
They drive , they can afford to as petrol cost half what it does in the UK.
Yes...but those of us in the UK can actually afford to buy it.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.