Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to all who are thinking of returning!

to all who are thinking of returning!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:50 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: to all who are thinking of returning!

Originally Posted by bundy
Ah yes, England, why would anyone want to live here?

I live in a village. It's a lovely village with a proper post office, butchers, bakers, village hall, library etc etc etc. There is a proper village atmosphere where people say hello to each other in the street, kids play in the park without being kidnapped/preyed upon/falling on syringes.

I have a good job, which I walked straight into after moving up here. I've was promoted after a year and am I about to be interviewed for another job at the same insitution. I have excellent career prospects with an excellent employer (university). We both earn enough to support a decent mortgage and to live comfortably.

I travel to work on public transport, which I can do door-to-door on the bus and train, and have had very few problems with delays etc. I pay £16 a week to travel a weekly total of 180 miles, which I reckon is pretty good.

We go on holiday at least a couple of times a year - off to France this year, as well as Jersey, and maybe skiing too. We're not wealthy by any means, but we can afford this because travel in Europe is cheap. There is plenty on offer in the UK too, and especially in the area where we live.

I've had two operations in the last 3 months, both on the NHS. The waiting time from diagnosis to operation was 5 weeks - it would have been 10 days, but I opted to delay it because we got married and went on honeymoon in between . I don't have a serious illness, and neither were these urgent operations - 10 days was simply the average waiting time at my hospital. I was given my own ensuite bedroom which was immaculate, cleaned 4 times a day. I don't believe I would have been seen any quicker or treated any better if I had gone private.

So what happy little corner of England do I live in where things are so good? West Yorkshire, just outside Bradford - probably an area of the country those such as the original poster would assume was afflicted with all that is bad about Britain.

Yes England has problems, but then so does everywhere else. For those wishing to move back, it's honestly not that bad (don't believe all the red-top tales of doom). In fact, it is a fantastic place to be - but only if it's where you want to be.
'I live in a village. It's a lovely village with a proper post office, butchers, bakers, village hall, library etc etc etc.'

Hope the Post Office isn't one of the many rural ones that are due to be closed ... and really hope Tesco's don't build a store nearby which would then cause the butcher , baker and candle stick maker to close ... like in lots of other UK towns and villages
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:58 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: to all who are thinking of returning!

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Tableland seems to change his stance according to the seasons. I reckon he's currently in the doldrums due to UK winter! In Aug 2005, he wrote this:

HP, I have to take my hat off to your sleuthing. Absolute quality work.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
Ah yes, England, why would anyone want to live here?

I live in a village. It's a lovely village with a proper post office, butchers, bakers, village hall, library etc etc etc. There is a proper village atmosphere where people say hello to each other in the street, kids play in the park without being kidnapped/preyed upon/falling on syringes.

I have a good job, which I walked straight into after moving up here. I've was promoted after a year and am I about to be interviewed for another job at the same insitution. I have excellent career prospects with an excellent employer (university). We both earn enough to support a decent mortgage and to live comfortably.

I travel to work on public transport, which I can do door-to-door on the bus and train, and have had very few problems with delays etc. I pay £16 a week to travel a weekly total of 180 miles, which I reckon is pretty good.

We go on holiday at least a couple of times a year - off to France this year, as well as Jersey, and maybe skiing too. We're not wealthy by any means, but we can afford this because travel in Europe is cheap. There is plenty on offer in the UK too, and especially in the area where we live.

I've had two operations in the last 3 months, both on the NHS. The waiting time from diagnosis to operation was 5 weeks - it would have been 10 days, but I opted to delay it because we got married and went on honeymoon in between . I don't have a serious illness, and neither were these urgent operations - 10 days was simply the average waiting time at my hospital. I was given my own ensuite bedroom which was immaculate, cleaned 4 times a day. I don't believe I would have been seen any quicker or treated any better if I had gone private.

So what happy little corner of England do I live in where things are so good? West Yorkshire, just outside Bradford - probably an area of the country those such as the original poster would assume was afflicted with all that is bad about Britain.

Yes England has problems, but then so does everywhere else. For those wishing to move back, it's honestly not that bad (don't believe all the red-top tales of doom). In fact, it is a fantastic place to be - but only if it's where you want to be.
A great post, reminds me of how I lived in the UK. I left the UK with the Aussie hubby because I had an opportunity to try living in Oz, I didn't leave because I was disenchanted with Britain.
I now have had the worst five years of my life ever, here in Australia, and really really want to leave. My husband doesn't, so there is a problem.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
He could get work in Canada with that sort of background if Australia doesn't work out. Just a thought.
Did our 4 years there and currently have a PR application in at CIC but we are hoping our Oz one comes through first so we can pull our Canadian one out of the system. If we don't get the Oz one (very dissapointed if we didn't) we will go through with the Canada one because we don't want to return to England.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Set the cat amongst the pigions here! sorry if i offended anyone, i'd had a bad day, watched the news, was pissed off and had a rant! Maybe i done it on the wrong forum. Trying to convince myself i was doing the right thing by doing the off i suppose. All the best to anyone making these big decisions, only you can decide whats best for you but home is where the heart is.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:26 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Some go away and love it, some go away and hate it but for anyone thinking or returning to the uk who's been away a few yrs make sure you really think about what your giving up. Put those rose tinted specs away and see the UK forwhat it really is. I've lived in Oz, come back home, been out and visited, come back home and now i'm going back out again for a few yrs. England certainly isnt the place it once was, believe. There are lots and lots of problems here at the moment especially in London. Houses are very over priced, crime and violence are spiraling out of controll (if your burgled they wont even send an officer out to see you anymore!) Tony Blair and the Labour party are selling the place up the river. The NHS is joke. The building trade is getting SCREWED thanks to these total strokers in govenment and the whole country is overun with foreigners (mostly eastern european) bringing the day rates down to what they were 4 yrs ago in some trades (bricklaying, spreads, chipies, stud partitioners, dryliners) we are heading into recession an the economy is *****ed. This is the reality of life in Britian today. I love the place and it will always be my home but some of the posts i read in this forum are just totaly unrealistic, i dont think we're even talking about the same place. Who could really care less about Tesco's? eh? please. You may not like certain places or things about Oz but dont be too hard on it cos life is far harder here. I wish everone luck with their decisions butmany need to remove the blinkers.
please explain which century your living in ,the UK economy is the strongest in the world , yes the euro thing is a pain in the ass for the south as far up as leicster ,but here in aus the government are driving down the wages and conditions . I have been watching the markets for my trade and in the last 18mths the wages have increased about 10% .here they have dropped (real terms)by about 5% with more trouble looming. as for care about tescos I would love a tescos the shopping here ,QLD, is diabolical .on the whole every thing is Aussie made copies of the real thing and it tastes like it .I suggest you follow your own advice remove the blinkers and rosie's and realise that this is not the great be all and end all .
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
A great post, reminds me of how I lived in the UK. I left the UK with the Aussie hubby because I had an opportunity to try living in Oz, I didn't leave because I was disenchanted with Britain.
I now have had the worst five years of my life ever, here in Australia, and really really want to leave. My husband doesn't, so there is a problem.
Substitute three and a half years for five, and you just wrote down my thoughts
Old Jan 6th 2007, 3:32 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Substitute three and a half years for five, and you just wrote down my thoughts
substitute 16 years and 2 ausssie raised teenagers and you have a real problem ,you dont know whether to go back probably knowing your future family [grandkids] will be in aussie or go back to the uk and end up looking after the olds for 10 years but knowing you feel complete as a person in your homeland .
My advice to anybody is if you dont like the feel of australia and cant settle say after 2 years go home to where you belong before it gets real complicated.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Runnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura aboutRunnymede has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Bloody hell what is this? I was only having a bit of a rant about the state of things and now people want to see me hang! whooo whooooooo chill out:scared:
No, they don't want you to hang, just accept that you cannot speak for everyone. The state of this country isn't so damned good either or haven't you noticed...blast, that 'rose coloured glasses syndrome' again.
It's all about 'a sense of place', where your heart is, or any other emotion.
Beach's and sun does nothing for the mind especially when a lot of the alternatives involve sport But that is me, not everyone.

RM
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BAY
'I live in a village. It's a lovely village with a proper post office, butchers, bakers, village hall, library etc etc etc.'

Hope the Post Office isn't one of the many rural ones that are due to be closed ... and really hope Tesco's don't build a store nearby which would then cause the butcher , baker and candle stick maker to close ... like in lots of other UK towns and villages
Wel I lived like this too.As for the post offices closing well were I live there isn't even a letter box to put your mail in for collection. I wonder what the elderley do here? In the village they could catch a bus, go to the bakers, butchers,village hall, library, church,chemist and all by themselves. Haven't a clue how the poor sods get on here there isn't even a decent bus service.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 6:56 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
Wel I lived like this too.As for the post offices closing well were I live there isn't even a letter box to put your mail in for collection. I wonder what the elderley do here? In the village they could catch a bus, go to the bakers, butchers,village hall, library, church,chemist and all by themselves. Haven't a clue how the poor sods get on here there isn't even a decent bus service.
must agree , the old folk in the "city "(read large country town) I live in can't even get their aides to pick up their pescriptions .so if they are serverly disabled they're really pickled
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
substitute 16 years and 2 ausssie raised teenagers and you have a real problem ,you dont know whether to go back probably knowing your future family [grandkids] will be in aussie or go back to the uk and end up looking after the olds for 10 years but knowing you feel complete as a person in your homeland .
My advice to anybody is if you dont like the feel of australia and cant settle say after 2 years go home to where you belong before it gets real complicated.
That is very difficult sassenach, I want to leave here before the kids (6 years & 10 mths) are teenagers, and are too aussified, and I don't want the situation you discribe. I can see how extremely awkward (understatement of the year) it would be with older kids.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:04 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
That is very difficult sassenach, I want to leave here before the kids (6 years & 10 mths) are teenagers, and are too aussified, and I don't want the situation you discribe. I can see how extremely awkward (understatement of the year) it would be with older kids.
it is awkward ,i wanted to go home after a visit to a friends marriage in scotland in 99 and discussed it with myOH ,but she said no as the kids need to finish school and we would go after the youngest has finished .I said ''fine '' its 2 years since he left and we are still here because at the moment whether we like it or not the ''growing'' future of the family is here in aussie and the ''decaying '' part of the family is behind in the uk [ie both sets of parents] .
People who come here make a lot of sacrifices to make this place work and although for me materialy its been wonderful but for matters of the heart its been a total disaster .Maybe i just have to face the fact that my family more than likely will have its base in aussie and i will have to be a property owning ping-ponger.
Your eldest at 10 will be approaching awkward years soon rosie ,so i think a decision for you within a year might have to be on the cards otherwisw youll be here another 10 years with no prospect of leaving as a complete family unit .
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:07 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Complicated is correct but none of us (as much as we love them and want to be a part of their lives) can live our lives through our kids. Nor can we decide what path they will take. You could spend the rest of your life here in perth, and they might buggar off to melb or syd for brighter lights anyway.

I know it's easier to jump a plane to the east coast than from UK to OZ, but the reality is people get on with living in their own little world.

Perhaps the kids might see moving to the UK as an opportunity to see and learn more than they would here, I mean europe would be at their doorstep, and their grandparents, etc

To spend the rest of your life in a place you feel no connection/sense of belonging with, or enjoyment in on a day to day basis, is to numb the senses and slowly kill a part of one's soul.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

it is awkward ,i wanted to go home after a visit to a friends marriage in scotland in 99 and discussed it with myOH ,but she said no as the kids need to finish school and we would go after the youngest has finished .I said ''fine '' its 2 years since he left and we are still here because at the moment whether we like it or not the ''growing'' future of the family is here in aussie and the ''decaying '' part of the family is behind in the uk [ie both sets of parents] .
People who come here make a lot of sacrifices to make this place work and although for me materialy its been wonderful but for matters of the heart its been a total disaster .Maybe i just have to face the fact that my family more than likely will have its base in aussie and i will have to be a property owning ping-ponger.
Your eldest at 10 will be approaching awkward years soon rosie ,so i think a decision for you within a year might have to be on the cards otherwisw youll be here another 10 years with no prospect of leaving as a complete family unit .
Is your OH an Aussie?

The complete family unit, I will remember to use that when I speak, again, to the Hubby. I know that when the boys are old enough they will more than likely travel to live and work in the UK/Europe anyway, and where will I be, stuck here, that's where. Bloomin well hope not!

Is it better for the kids to have a happy mum who feels at home and content, or one that is enduring what she sees as some kind of prison sentence for the sake of the family, and pretending all is well? They must feel it and it can't be good for them.

My eldest is 6 and the youngest 10 months, but even so, time will fly and decisions need to be made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.