Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

to all who are thinking of returning!

to all who are thinking of returning!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:13 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to all who are thinking of returning!

Originally Posted by Grayling
I would not have been the slightest bit interested in you if you had not come on here with such a ridiculous immature post.

G
Indeed...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Some go away and love it, some go away and hate it but for anyone thinking or returning to the uk who's been away a few yrs make sure you really think about what your giving up. Put those rose tinted specs away and see the UK forwhat it really is. I've lived in Oz, come back home, been out and visited, come back home and now i'm going back out again for a few yrs. England certainly isnt the place it once was, believe. There are lots and lots of problems here at the moment especially in London. Houses are very over priced, crime and violence are spiraling out of controll (if your burgled they wont even send an officer out to see you anymore!) Tony Blair and the Labour party are selling the place up the river. The NHS is joke. The building trade is getting SCREWED thanks to these total strokers in govenment and the whole country is overun with foreigners (mostly eastern european) bringing the day rates down to what they were 4 yrs ago in some trades (bricklaying, spreads, chipies, stud partitioners, dryliners) we are heading into recession an the economy is *****ed. This is the reality of life in Britian today. I love the place and it will always be my home but some of the posts i read in this forum are just totaly unrealistic, i dont think we're even talking about the same place. Who could really care less about Tesco's? eh? please. You may not like certain places or things about Oz but dont be too hard on it cos life is far harder here. I wish everone luck with their decisions butmany need to remove the blinkers.
Thankyou for this post and your opinion, but it means nothing to any of us actually.
We all feel different about certain things in life so listening to others opionions will not change how you feel right now.
My opinions matter to me, no-one else, so gotta do what my heart tells me to do and thats get the hell out of OZ, no matter what others think of UK it will not persuade me.
For us the UK was far better than OZ, we came , we tried, we failed. Go back to what we know...i'm still glad we tried it though, but give me back the shit goings on in UK as for us the shit in OZ is worse.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
For us the UK was far better than OZ, we came , we tried, we failed. Go back to what we know...i'm still glad we tried it though, but give me back the shit goings on in UK as for us the shit in OZ is worse.
Yeah, there is crap everywhere.

As for the OP, leaving the UK because of the NHS/house prices/police/government IMO is not a good reason to go, and perhaps certainly not to Australia for those reasons. Australia has the same issues - some better, some worse - plus a whole host more that you don't even realise until you get there. Better to go somewhere because you want to try something new, rather than trying to "escape" the issues at home.

PaulRach, good luck back in UK. You didn't "fail", you just tried and didn't like. How is that failing? No-one says you have to like it!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I dont blame the poles for coming over, i'd do the same in their position. I blame the system for letting it happen. Wages are dropping, houseprices are rising and so are interest rates. People are having a lot of trouble meeting their repayments. mate its not a good situation. Yea i done the backpacking thing and settled in Sydney to work for year. I got a mates who live there both Aussie and English who have now become citizens so i hear everything -well what they tell me! I'm English and proud and every now and then i might have a rant about my country, its where i was born and bred so i'm entilted to but it breaks my heart to see it going downhill. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Aus is any better, just giving an opinion.

Tony

For what it's worth, posting an opinion that Australia might offer a better future than the UK on the "moving back to the UK" forum usually induces roughly the same reaction as if you were to fart into an amplified microphone during a particularly solemn religious observance.

I agree with you, but you won't get too many thanks round these parts for expressing this particular opinion because people here have decided to return to the UK and are uncertain it's for the best. The last thing they want is doubt entering their calculations. Also, everyone's case is unique to them. Maybe.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Tony

For what it's worth, posting an opinion that Australia might offer a better future than the UK on the "moving back to the UK" forum usually induces roughly the same reaction as if you were to fart into an amplified microphone during a particularly solemn religious observance.

I agree with you, but you won't get too many thanks round these parts for expressing this particular opinion because people here have decided to return to the UK and are uncertain it's for the best. The last thing they want is doubt entering their calculations. Also, everyone's case is unique to them. Maybe.
And what sort of reaction would anyone who posts negative opinions of Australia get on the Australia lifestyle forum?

We are not all returning to the UK. I live in the UK and am moving to Australia....however, I am grown up enough and worldly wise enough to realise that there are problems everywhere, including plenty in Australia.

The part of the UK where I live does not have these supposed problems...I don't have to worry about work or house prices and I am fed up with people rubbishing the UK when it is often obvious that they are really pointing out their own failings and inability to make a decent living in the UK.

G
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

I must say that London is the pits! I grew up there for 17 years, and now occasionally work there, and I simply don't like it!

I live a 35 minute train ride away, and then my village is a 15 minute drive from the station. When I am at home the lanes, villages and countryside remind me of Devon.

We returned here after giving NZ a go for 2 years. In the end we just were not prepared to put up with the low service levels, lack of morals, crime, poor education and the low quality of life any longer. So in June we finally sold our house (to another English family fresh off the boat) and moved back to the UK.

Yes the UK has a lot of problems, but then again so did NZ and the everyday quality of life just wasn't there.

Everyone who holds a British Passport can travel and settle and work freely throughout the EU. Don't just assume that all because English is spoken in the country you have identified that you would like to live in, that it will be similar to the UK?

My families New Year resolution? - Never travel for more than 3 hours on a plane!

Burt
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I understand people get homesick, been there myself, and for others it just oesnt work out but all the Oz bashing is a bit unnessicary.
BTW thanks for taking an interest in me grayling, chill out.
Bloody hell what is this? I was only having a bit of a rant about the state of things and now people want to see me hang! whooo whooooooo chill out:scared:

Hmmm I see double standards here. Oz bashing is unnecessary (presumably because that's where you're going) but UK bashing is OK.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

And what sort of reaction would anyone who posts negative opinions of Australia get on the Australia lifestyle forum?

We are not all returning to the UK. I live in the UK and am moving to Australia....however, I am grown up enough and worldly wise enough to realise that there are problems everywhere, including plenty in Australia.
The part of the UK where I live does not have these supposed problems...I don't have to worry about work or house prices and I am fed up with people rubbishing the UK when it is often obvious that they are really pointing out their own failings and inability to make a decent living in the UK.

G
I agree with most of what you say. However, my husband chose a trade that is dwindling in the UK and can only earn money in Europe or further afield. As a consequence England has nothing to offer us anymore. This is not because England is crap but just the dynamics of a changing world.

Last edited by northernbird; Jan 5th 2007 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:42 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree with most of what you say. However, my husband chose a trade that is dwindling in the UK and can only earn money in Europe or further afield. As a consequence England has nothing to offer us anymore. This is not because England is crap but just the dynamics of a changing world.
Why not change jobs rather then worlds?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How come your quote of me has words in it that I did not write?

G
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
I must say that London is the pits! I grew up there for 17 years, and now occasionally work there, and I simply don't like it!

I live a 35 minute train ride away, and then my village is a 15 minute drive from the station. When I am at home the lanes, villages and countryside remind me of Devon.

We returned here after giving NZ a go for 2 years. In the end we just were not prepared to put up with the low service levels, lack of morals, crime, poor education and the low quality of life any longer. So in June we finally sold our house (to another English family fresh off the boat) and moved back to the UK.

Yes the UK has a lot of problems, but then again so did NZ and the everyday quality of life just wasn't there.

Everyone who holds a British Passport can travel and settle and work freely throughout the EU. Don't just assume that all because English is spoken in the country you have identified that you would like to live in, that it will be similar to the UK?

My families New Year resolution? - Never travel for more than 3 hours on a plane!

Burt
NZ doesn't seem to get a good review on these boards. I know this forum is a tiny sample of migrants, but NZ comes off badly from the small number of people posting on here, at least.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

How come your quote of me has words in it that I did not write?

G
I think its cos I am pissed mate, sorry will try and edit.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by kevinl
Why not change jobs rather then worlds?
not always that easy is it pal.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

I think its cos I am pissed mate, sorry will try and edit.
That explains it then.

I thought I was cracking up for a while

G
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:15 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

not always that easy is it pal.
Easier to move round the world then change jobs? Pal.

What does he do that Australia is better for then the UK? Pal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.