British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   To all returning for family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/all-returning-family-329456/)

janeyray Oct 5th 2005 8:56 am

Re: To all returning for family

Originally Posted by Emzee
The truth of it is that those most likely to enjoy this "great outdoor" lifestyle probably lived somewhere really grotty in the UK before coming to Oz, and consider their "great outdoor" lifestyle to be sitting under their covered patio after dark drinking beer.

God how true everything seems to revolve around beer in Australia,don't think i have seen so many bottle shop's in one place,and dont forget when you go for a walk in the bush make plenty of noise so you don't step on a snake :) .Dont need to worry about that in the UK.

It's the height of their socal evening isn't it, a BBQ and beers at friends houses? it's ok to start with but like everything else it wears off. At least at a pub you see different faces! :D

I also found the summer very oppressive in Perth and longed for rain and snow !!
I remember talking to my borther in law for hours one hot day about how if it's cold in the UK you don't long to be on a beach boiling to death, but in Perth during the summer I could quite happily be freezing to death in the North Pole :D silly billy.

I think its easier to get warm than it is to cool down :rolleyes:

RReed Oct 7th 2005 2:04 am

Libby,

I think 'missing family' is probably the main reason people don't settle in oz. People planning a move to oz should take a long hard look at what is important to them in their life. Although often it takes a move away to see it. If you are very close to your family and enjoy spending lots of time with them. If you turn to family members first when there is a problem. If you rely on family for childcare and family support. Think very carefully about cutting yourself off from them.

I am a bit strange in that I love my family, but don't need them close. I am enjoying the distance and being able to avoid weddings and various events. I know I can keep in touch without being suffocated. For me (and my husband) the distance from family is one of the plus aspects to oz.

Good luck with your move back to the UK and enjoy being back with your extended family.

LIBBY Oct 7th 2005 6:47 am

Originally Posted by RReed
Libby,

I think 'missing family' is probably the main reason people don't settle in oz. People planning a move to oz should take a long hard look at what is important to them in their life. Although often it takes a move away to see it. If you are very close to your family and enjoy spending lots of time with them. If you turn to family members first when there is a problem. If you rely on family for childcare and family support. Think very carefully about cutting yourself off from them.

I am a bit strange in that I love my family, but don't need them close. I am enjoying the distance and being able to avoid weddings and various events. I know I can keep in touch without being suffocated. For me (and my husband) the distance from family is one of the plus aspects to oz.

Good luck with your move back to the UK and enjoy being back with your extended family.

Thanks RReed,

I did not rely on anyone back in the UK. Very rarely got help with the kids, Did not spend too much time with family, but realised a little contact is so much better than none at all. Saw my Mum the most, probably once a week so miss her the most and my eldest misses his cuddles with her.

Its surprised me to miss everyone as much as I do, but its not just that. I am finding Australia very alien. I dont go out much now as my confidence has gone to the lowest level. I find the natives very hard to comunicate with as I have a very different sense of humour to them and find that I am better shutting up. I also find them very false. (Just my opinion).
I cant wait to go home to what I know. And I have said this far to many times now, You dont know till you have done it.

I am glad that you feel the way you do about your family and its also true with me for the inlaws, but hey ho, cant go back with out telling them.....Can we!!

Libby

cantwait Oct 7th 2005 7:44 am

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Dont feel bad, there is nothing wrong in returning home because of family.

The reason I say this is because myself, hubby and our two lovely kiddies went to Belair national park yesterday (bank holiday) near Adelaide. We had a lovely walk and saw lots of wildlife that we would only dream of seeing in UK so we felt very lucky. We played proper football (ie a round ball) together and the weather was great and we had ice cream.

But it did not feel 100%. We looked a round us a saw the huge amount of people in groups of anything up to 15-20 people or more, all families out together, enjoying each others company and it made me sad on the inside.

I love my family but there are more of them back in the UK that I miss dearly and wished they were playing footie with us.

So to go back to family is not wrong and to live for them is not wrong either. If anyone out there is thinking of going back for family then go because you can not replace them and you dont know how much you will miss them until they are not there.

Our house goes on the market today so hopefully we will be home soon.

Also another thing while I am here, whats the point of having it 40 degrees if its too chuffin hot to doing anything in?? The weather isnt everything.

Libby

If anyone agrees with me then say so, if not then shut up!!

We hope to move to Brisbane before Xmas, and i know everything your saying i will feel when i've left my familly, but like i've said you have to go and give it a try, better to have been and tried it than not to have tried it at all.

paula.

good luck with everything