British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   To all returning for family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/all-returning-family-329456/)

LIBBY Oct 4th 2005 11:52 pm

Re: To all returning for family

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I walked along a trail on Saturday called the Ice Age Trail that runs for 70 miles from one city to another (I didnt walk all of it by the way, I'm not that fit) anyway the views were stunning the grasslands were turning red, brown and gold for the fall. It was truly exhilarating however all I could think was I wish my family could share this with me, at that moment I felt very alone. Sad really.

Thats exactly how we felt at the park on Monday.

Hundreds of people around but never felt so alone.

Thankyou for all the good wishes on the house sale. V jealous JoolsG, hope you have a cracking Christmas back in Blighty.

Libby

Indigo Oct 5th 2005 12:05 am

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Dont feel bad, there is nothing wrong in returning home because of family.

The reason I say this is because myself, hubby and our two lovely kiddies went to Belair national park yesterday (bank holiday) near Adelaide. We had a lovely walk and saw lots of wildlife that we would only dream of seeing in UK so we felt very lucky. We played proper football (ie a round ball) together and the weather was great and we had ice cream.

But it did not feel 100%. We looked a round us a saw the huge amount of people in groups of anything up to 15-20 people or more, all families out together, enjoying each others company and it made me sad on the inside.

I love my family but there are more of them back in the UK that I miss dearly and wished they were playing footie with us.

So to go back to family is not wrong and to live for them is not wrong either. If anyone out there is thinking of going back for family then go because you can not replace them and you dont know how much you will miss them until they are not there.

Our house goes on the market today so hopefully we will be home soon.

Also another thing while I am here, whats the point of having it 40 degrees if its too chuffin hot to doing anything in?? The weather isnt everything.

Libby

If anyone agrees with me then say so, if not then shut up!!

Hi, I hope you get back to the UK soon, you sound like you really want to be there!

If you're married to someone from another country, there is always going to be someone missing in your life. Living in England, my family in Canada were terribly sad when our children were born and we had birthdays and baptisms and Christmases and first day of school and all of that without them. In Canada now, my husband's family back in England is terribly sad to miss all the important stuff, especially because they became so close to our children while we were there.

We had to decide where we wanted to live and raise our family, we decided Canada is the right choice, but I miss my husband's family every day just like I missed mine for 9 years, despite yearly visits and weekly telephone calls. It's very difficult however you look at it, but we had to base our decision on what we wanted for our future.

ps- it's not just family I miss back in England, I have a lot of wonderful friends and neighbours and colleagues, I feel like crying every time I think of what we left behind. But email helps!

pps- it's too hot in Canada at the moment too. It's 4th October today, a heat and smog alert!?

ladylisa Oct 5th 2005 12:10 am

I've just found out that my mum is coming out to share Christmas and New Year with me...its going to be the best Christmas :D

woodyinoz Oct 5th 2005 12:58 am

I've just found out that my mum is coming out to share Christmas and New Year with me...its going to be the best Christmas :D

What fantasic news!!!

I hate to think about Christmas this year! the first one without any family.

Any other expats in Melbourne want to celebrate with us :D

Geordie George Oct 5th 2005 1:07 am

Congratulations! And it's close enough to count in weeks now! :D

Libby - great post. Moving to Aus has certainly made me re-evaluate family. I've not lived in Yorkshire (the family seat, dontcha know ;) ) for ten years. When we do eventually go back, that's where we're heading. It's getting to a point in our lives where we want to be around our niece and nephews, brothers and sisters, parents and the extended lot. We've roamed for a while now, so next it's time to head home and spend some time staying put getting to reknow the people I was close to for 18 years (before leaving for uni). Even though I wouldn't say we're a particularly close family, it's amazing how such a distance can be so ... don't know that isolating is the right word. But I feel out of touch being here sometimes. It's just made me want to get to know people again and be more a part of their lives - like I want them to be more a part of mine. So, I guess (in my usual, long-winded way), I'm saying it's not just those that are close to family that might miss them; it can hit those that don't expect it to and gets you rethinking about what you really want and value.

(And you're right about the weather! :D )

SCOTTISH MARK 2 Oct 5th 2005 2:10 am

I walked along a trail on Saturday called the Ice Age Trail that runs for 70 miles from one city to another (I didnt walk all of it by the way, I'm not that fit) anyway the views were stunning the grasslands were turning red, brown and gold for the fall. It was truly exhilarating however all I could think was I wish my family could share this with me, at that moment I felt very alone. Sad really.

I know of someone who was here for ten years and was going home
and then their parents were killed very young. They stayed in Oz but how sad to have missed out on those ten years.

I also recently heard of someone going home on holiday after 40 years
and would love to move back to Uk but family are all in Oz.

Can you imagine still feeling like this after all those years.

The best thing is to go back. If you have citizenship you at least
have a choice but best to follow your heart...... :) :)

MrsB Oct 5th 2005 2:23 am

Originally Posted by SCOTTISH MARK 2
I know of someone who was here for ten years and was going home
and then their parents were killed very young. They stayed in Oz but how sad to have missed out on those ten years.

I also recently heard of someone going home on holiday after 40 years
and would love to move back to Uk but family are all in Oz.

Can you imagine still feeling like this after all those years.

The best thing is to go back. If you have citizenship you at least
have a choice but best to follow your heart...... :) :)

You sound like you're young free and single - so you could come and go as you please really, and find out which one you like best.

When you've got school age children - it gets much harder, and much more expensive to do all to to'ing and fro'ing.

Not forgetting airfares back home!

Go for it - life is for living - and you only live once. If you end up not liking the UK - come back!

Princess_atta Oct 5th 2005 2:41 am

Libby,

You've summed it up for me 100%.

We came here in April and put the house on with an agent yesterday. I love this country, the people, the flora and fauna but NOTHING can replace as you so rightly said, those cuddles with grandma, playing with cousins etc.

My mum was coming out for Xmas but we've asked her to can the flight just in case we get back for it (that's the plan).

Fingers crossed for all of us eh?

LIBBY Oct 5th 2005 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Libby,

We came here in April and put the house on with an agent yesterday. I love this country, the people, the flora and fauna but NOTHING can replace as you so rightly said, those cuddles with grandma, playing with cousins etc.

My mum was coming out for Xmas but we've asked her to can the flight just in case we get back for it (that's the plan).

Princess_atta,

I will cross everything for you.

Lets hope luck is on our side and everyones elses that wants to be back for Christmas. Being here now and going through my Sons 6th Birthday has made my need to be back before Xmas, my Number one priority. It was horrible, we did our best for him and he had a nice time but it was so quite, normally its a steady stream of rellys and friends visiting.

Good luck to you all

Libby

Wal10 Oct 5th 2005 4:33 am

Also another thing while I am here, whats the point of having it 40 degrees if its too chuffin hot to doing anything in?? The weather isnt everything.

Libby

I totally agree.

So many people on the expats site say they're coming to Oz for a "great outdoors" lifestyle, but it doesn't happen. In the UK I had a REAL outdoor lifestyle, country living, country pursuits, out all day in all weathers.

But here your outdoor living stops at 9am because it gets too hot, everyone stays indoors for the rest of the day in their aircon.

Come the evening it goes from hot to dark very early, so no time for outdoor lifestyle then unless you have floodlights.

Country pursuits involve copious amounts of aeroguard (very bad for you)topped up every 30 minutes (or just be thick with flies & mosies).

Country living is bloody harsh, often without water supply, and miles (sorry, kms) from anywhere!!!

The truth of it is that those most likely to enjoy this "great outdoor" lifestyle probably lived somewhere really grotty in the UK before coming to Oz, and consider their "great outdoor" lifestyle to be sitting under their covered patio after dark drinking beer.

Y.

Emzee Oct 5th 2005 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Libby,

There must be something about April that is when we came out and now we fly back on the 26th October cant wait we are so homesick and cant wait to see the family,we have just found out my husbands sister has just had a baby boy,that makes 6 nieces and nephews we will now see grow up instead of only seeing them once every 5 or so years :D

Emzee Oct 5th 2005 4:59 am

The truth of it is that those most likely to enjoy this "great outdoor" lifestyle probably lived somewhere really grotty in the UK before coming to Oz, and consider their "great outdoor" lifestyle to be sitting under their covered patio after dark drinking beer.

God how true everything seems to revolve around beer in Australia,don't think i have seen so many bottle shop's in one place,and dont forget when you go for a walk in the bush make plenty of noise so you don't step on a snake :) .Dont need to worry about that in the UK.

woodyinoz Oct 5th 2005 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Emzee

God how true everything seems to revolve around beer in Australia,don't think i have seen so many bottle shop's in one place,and dont forget when you go for a walk in the bush make plenty of noise so you don't step on a snake :) .Dont need to worry about that in the UK.

That must be why I haven't had one in the garden then! Kids are soooo noisey

MrsB Oct 5th 2005 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Wal10
I totally agree.

So many people on the expats site say they're coming to Oz for a "great outdoors" lifestyle, but it doesn't happen. In the UK I had a REAL outdoor lifestyle, country living, country pursuits, out all day in all weathers.

But here your outdoor living stops at 9am because it gets too hot, everyone stays indoors for the rest of the day in their aircon.

Come the evening it goes from hot to dark very early, so no time for outdoor lifestyle then unless you have floodlights.

Country pursuits involve copious amounts of aeroguard (very bad for you)topped up every 30 minutes (or just be thick with flies & mosies).

Country living is bloody harsh, often without water supply, and miles (sorry, kms) from anywhere!!!

Y.

Couldn't agree more! I remember it being 24C by 8am last summer, hubs and I used to argue over who was going to go out for a run first - before it got even hotter! I used to do the 8am 24C slot, and he used to do the 9am 30C slot!!! And this is Melbourne!!!

janeyray Oct 5th 2005 8:52 am

Dont feel bad, there is nothing wrong in returning home because of family.

Libby

When we were in Perth my daughter was asked to bring her Grandparents to school for a couple of hours. They could paint together and read etc etc. My daughter found this very difficult as they were in the UK!!! I also felt for the Aussie kids whos grandparents were no longer around.

I went to school that day instead but it does bring it home when family is so far away.

Life is for living but without my family I couldn't live a happy life. :(