Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

All packed and ready to go

Wikiposts

All packed and ready to go

Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default All packed and ready to go

Tomorrow's the day. The cats had their tick and tapeworm treatment this afternoon, so I have seriously unhappy cats at the moment. Tomorrow will be worse, however, after a two-hour drive and then the flight. After hearing Mike and Jo's sad news, I've been freaking out a little thinking about my babies in the hold, while also feeling incredibly guilty about doing this to them. Hopefully, everything will be fine and they'll settle in nicely once they're done - I just want the flight over with.

Had a minor packing crisis today. The carry-on allowance of one 13-lb bag just killed me. I don't think I've ever had such a restrictive carry-on policy before; is this just Virgin? Delta seems to be much more lenient. Had to ditch my laptop bag and find a much smaller bag. Now taking my laptop, a blanket, my wallet, and hopefully my neck pillow - and that's it. Couldn't even take a book without going over the limit (13 lbs is nothing!), so I'll be buying a book once I get through security. I feel sorry for anyone having a longer flight than my relatively short 7.5 hours.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. I wish you all the best with your travel plans and will come back on once I'm back online to let you know how the pet scheme went.

Tara
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All packed and ready to go

Originally Posted by TaraC
Tomorrow's the day. The cats had their tick and tapeworm treatment this afternoon, so I have seriously unhappy cats at the moment. Tomorrow will be worse, however, after a two-hour drive and then the flight. After hearing Mike and Jo's sad news, I've been freaking out a little thinking about my babies in the hold, while also feeling incredibly guilty about doing this to them. Hopefully, everything will be fine and they'll settle in nicely once they're done - I just want the flight over with.

Had a minor packing crisis today. The carry-on allowance of one 13-lb bag just killed me. I don't think I've ever had such a restrictive carry-on policy before; is this just Virgin? Delta seems to be much more lenient. Had to ditch my laptop bag and find a much smaller bag. Now taking my laptop, a blanket, my wallet, and hopefully my neck pillow - and that's it. Couldn't even take a book without going over the limit (13 lbs is nothing!), so I'll be buying a book once I get through security. I feel sorry for anyone having a longer flight than my relatively short 7.5 hours.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. I wish you all the best with your travel plans and will come back on once I'm back online to let you know how the pet scheme went.

Tara
Tara,

Wishing you all the happiness in your move back home (U.K)...just wish it was me..doing what you are doing right now....!!!
Best of luck
Jackie in Perth but would rather be in/near Manchester!!!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Tara
Best of luck with everything Tara
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Tara
Best of luck! Once you are on that plane, take a deep breath in .... out, and relaxxxxxxx. You earned a few hours of not stressing over anything! Treat yourself to a glass of wine!

Look forward to hearing how things go at this end. Welcome back.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Best of luck! Once you are on that plane, take a deep breath in .... out, and relaxxxxxxx. You earned a few hours of not stressing over anything! Treat yourself to a glass of wine!

Look forward to hearing how things go at this end. Welcome back.
Best of luck Tara.
You're coming back to a very lovely place
By the way, when I checked in on return from Oz - in addition to 7k carry on luggage, you were allowed to have a lap top as well. May be worth checking.
Good luck and enjoy
xx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:03 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Tara

all the best tara and enjoy that manicure and pedicure today
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Dunroving: I think I'll be relaxing with a massive bottle of wine once I have the cats safely back with me. I'll be focusing on every bump once i'm in the plane (do I know my anxiety buttons or what?). TruBrit - the mani/pedi was great; probably my last one for a while, as I'll be on the student budget for a bit.

Once again, thanks for everything. Tara
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have a safe trip back home. Don't forget to let us know how you are going on.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:45 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I missed this post, and now I'm late.

Hope you and yours got back safe, TaraC!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Hmm, I missed this post, and now I'm late.

Hope you and yours got back safe, TaraC!
she should be checking in just about now with her two kitties
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Tara, I just joined this forum and have been madly reading all of the messages, especially the ones about people moving back to the UK. I am so jealous of you Because, I plan on moving back to the UK within the next year. Can't wait to here how your trip went travelling back home. Where did you fly to Also, another thing we have in common is I have two cute cats that I am bringing with me. I have been doing research on the Pet Passport thing and would love to hear how that went too. Anyway good luck in moving back home, and all the best. I am very, very jealous in a good way!!! Congratulations
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Tara, I just joined this forum and have been madly reading all of the messages, especially the ones about people moving back to the UK. I am so jealous of you Because, I plan on moving back to the UK within the next year. Can't wait to here how your trip went travelling back home. Where did you fly to Also, another thing we have in common is I have two cute cats that I am bringing with me. I have been doing research on the Pet Passport thing and would love to hear how that went too. Anyway good luck in moving back home, and all the best. I am very, very jealous in a good way!!! Congratulations
welcome to BE marmalade..that used to be the name of our neighbours cat in the UK

i have two cute cats that i am taking back to blighty with me hopefully next year. they came out with us almost 6 yrs ago and now they will be going home and we all can't wait

that pet passport seems confusing but tara had it all buttoned up and lots of peeps return to the uk with their pets so it can't be that difficult. we have had the titre test done and so all's looking good so far.

how long have you been away from the UK?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks TruBrit, that was awfully nice of you to welcome me I chose the name marmalade as I always spread it on my toast in the morning when I go to visit family back home in Scotland. I've been away 20 years (can't really believe it, as time has definitely gotten away from me). All of my family is back home in Scotland, and as the years go by I get more and more homesick. I have enjoyed my time here in the US, but my home will always be Scotland.

The last time I was home was for my father's funeral (August) and that put a lot of my mulling over moving home into perspective. He had been sick for many years and I knew that he wouldn't last past a couple more I just wished I had moved home before now so I could have spent some quality time with him before he passed away. I am looking at moving home next summer, if I can wait that long. I am a teacher and have to wait until I am registered in Scotland though, and that takes a lot of paperwork and time, unfortunately.

Maybe you can answer this question. Is it better to fly my cats over when it is warmer weather rather than in the winter or does it not matter seeing it is very cold at 35,000 feet no matter the season. A bit concerned about my little ones (cats). Are you thinking of moving home?? And, where is home for you?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Maybe you can answer this question. Is it better to fly my cats over when it is warmer weather rather than in the winter or does it not matter seeing it is very cold at 35,000 feet no matter the season. A bit concerned about my little ones (cats). Are you thinking of moving home?? And, where is home for you?
hi marmalade, so sorry to hear about your dad!

home for me is surrey, although born a scouser i moved sth when i was 18, just a few yrs ago now mum and dad have passed away the sth is where home is and my life.

many airlines will not let pets travel during the winter months. our two cats are persians and many airlines will not allow snub nosed cats or dogs so best to obviously check with your preferred airline. we are taking ours back on the QM2 as the flight out was so horrendous for them. continental did an ok job but it's such a long process for them from check-in to collection and really so noisy down in the aircraft hold. they will be 13 next year and i think the long flight will be too much for them tbh.

tara will report back once she gets back online in the uk and will give us a full run-down i know!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. There has been loads of thread about taking pets back to the UK and there's always someone around to help you if you have any questions.

My mum had a cat called Marmalade...yes he was a ginger tom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.