Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

are all american parents over protective

are all american parents over protective

Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are all american parents over protective

There's a few mixed couples I hang out with, the Brit parents usually don't care to much, but then the US spouse is a little more hyper about it.

But there are a few out there that equally don't care either, which is quite refreshing and just let the kids be kids....nothing wrong with keeping a tight eye on them, but no need to be obnoxious about it.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all

Nooj,

I think that part of the problem is the Atlanta Parents. They are just crazy. I have never been any place like it. I have friends in the North East, North West, and California, whose over-protectiveness is no worse than in the UK, though that's bad enough. But here in Atlanta it seems that they have totally lost the plot, to a whole other order of magnitude.

I had to stop using the pool in our sub-divison because my wife and I don't have kids, so whenever I went down there on my own I was constantly watched. You could literally hear the sighs of relief when my wife finally showed up or when I left.

To make it worse, they all have that southern gentility thing going on, that allows them to be sound incredibly polite while in actual fact they are being mega-b***hy. I admire your restraint, I haven't always managed it.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a few mixed couples I hang out with, the Brit parents usually don't care to much, but then the US spouse is a little more hyper about it.

But there are a few out there that equally don't care either, which is quite refreshing and just let the kids be kids....nothing wrong with keeping a tight eye on them, but no need to be obnoxious about it.

Okay - yes I am butting in but I have a valid question.

What is it with Americans and vitamins?

If your kid has a well rounded and healthy diet - why the need for vitamin supplements?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:22 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Okay - yes I am butting in but I have a valid question.

What is it with Americans and vitamins?

If your kid has a well rounded and healthy diet - why the need for vitamin supplements?
Because its easier to shove a pill down a kids throat than to buy and prepare healthy meals regularly.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone ever proved that vitamin pills work? I've taken them but never been convinced that it does anything.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Has anyone ever proved that vitamin pills work? I've taken them but never been convinced that it does anything.
Some do and some don't. It depends on which ones you take and why. I have to take folic acid and B-12 for a medical condition and they do what they are supposed to do. It is proven that women who take calcium are less likely to develop osteoporosis ... etc etc.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most don't have a healthy diet, that's why. Fresh fruit and veg is also really expensive in some parts of the country compared to others.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:41 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Some do and some don't. It depends on which ones you take and why. I have to take folic acid and B-12 for a medical condition and they do what they are supposed to do. It is proven that women who take calcium are less likely to develop osteoporosis ... etc etc.
Okay - yes fine - but what about the little kids.

And another question I have ........ out of curiosity ....... all these new pro-biotic milk drinks programmed at mothers for the good of the kids.

They have recently become the biggest thing in advertising in Italy next to pasta. A Dr friend of mine told me that most of the stuff in the drinks would be dead in the stomach acid beore it even gets to the intestines. Yet huge marketing has made these drinks seem like the bees knees and they are selling like wild fire.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - yes fine - but what about the little kids.

And another question I have ........ out of curiosity ....... all these new pro-biotic milk drinks programmed at mothers for the good of the kids.

They have recently become the biggest thing in advertising in Italy next to pasta. A Dr friend of mine told me that most of the stuff in the drinks would be dead in the stomach acid beore it even gets to the intestines. Yet huge marketing has made these drinks seem like the bees knees and they are selling like wild fire.
I don't pretend to know anything about kids. Terrible creatures. Ick.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I don't pretend to know anything about kids. Terrible creatures. Ick.
So you don't have kids - do you beleive that pro- biotic drinks or whatever they might be called in America are going to help restore and nurture your intestines?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:48 pm
WTF?

So you don't have kids - do you beleive that pro- biotic drinks or whatever they might be called in America are going to help restore and nurture your intestines?
I tried one of the yogurts and it gave me heartburn and the farts. I guess something was happening but I can't say whether it was good or bad.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RadgieGadgie
Nooj,

I think that part of the problem is the Atlanta Parents. They are just crazy. I have never been any place like it. .
thats a really interesting point- this is our first time in the US so I've nothing to compare it to. My god- I thought you got pushy parents in London but this lot!?

I've been trying to find some summer activities for my kids- art,dancing or music and every provider I've spoken to has gone on about how "art will develop their fine motor skills and unlock their creativity leading to better grades" or " dancing increases stamina and concentration helping them shape their individual ambition and improve their school work..." etc etc. Given that they are 5 and 3 I'm actually looking for something where they can put on a tutu and run around with a bucket on their head if they want!!

I hate to think how its going to be when we join the school system in August- I'm going to have to practice my neutral, I am not horrified expression in the mirror.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:52 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by nooj
thats a really interesting point- this is our first time in the US so I've nothing to compare it to. My god- I thought you got pushy parents in London but this lot!?

I've been trying to find some summer activities for my kids- art,dancing or music and every provider I've spoken to has gone on about how "art will develop their fine motor skills and unlock their creativity leading to better grades" or " dancing increases stamina and concentration helping them shape their individual ambition and improve their school work..." etc etc. Given that they are 5 and 3 I'm actually looking for something where they can put on a tutu and run around with a bucket on their head if they want!!

I hate to think how its going to be when we join the school system in August- I'm going to have to practice my neutral, I am not horrified expression in the mirror.
Have you considered the YMCA or Boys and Girls Clubs?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
haha leslie - my little 2 year old has just pointed at your avatar and said his sisters name - hes obviously a bit confused as he must realised his sister only has cigars not cigarettes! (JUST KIDDING BEFORE ANYONE GOES MAD)
I wish my Son had told his Teacher that Mum & Dad were only just kidding when we took a photo of him New Years Eve dressed up with a Cigar in his mouth she sent a letter home saying it was not funny and was the cigar lit blimey I was exploding when she threatened to tell Children's Welfare people

Last edited by britvic; Jul 27th 2009 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:59 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by britvic
I wish my Son had told his Teacher that Mum & Dad were only just kidding when we took a photo of him New Years Eve dressed up with a Cigar in his mouth she sent a letter home saying it was not funny and was the cigar lit blimey I was exploding when she threatened to tell Children's Welfare people
Jesús Cristo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.