Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Alert the media!!!...............

Alert the media!!!...............

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:27 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alert the media!!!...............

THE SUN IS OUT!!! No the sun has not died but is alive and well and living on the sunny south coast of England!!

I get up this morning - the usual grey, wet outlook from my bedroom window, so on goes the jeans, boots and jumper (albeit a thin 'spring' jumper) - get ready to take daughter to school - on goes the jacket (again albeit a 'spring' jacket but does have a fleecy lining!) - anyway temp gauge in the car on the way to school reads 15 degrees so I congratulate myself on my choice of clothes and sneer knowingly at the mum's dressed in summery clothes ever hopeful that it is in fact July so the sun may come out.

Anyway after school and playgroup drop off I wander down to local shops dressed in the same attire - well blow me, I'm down there for about 15 mins, clouds disperse, sun comes out in its full blown glory and I'm feeling ever so slightly warm!!

Shopping centre is half made up of the 'glass is half empty' people (like me) dressed for crap weather (even see one woman in woolly polar neck and puffa jacket - now that's just plain silly!!) and the other half is made up of the eternal optimists who are wearing their shorts and flip flops (or should I say thongs!). Now I look and feel a right plonker - the sun is bursting out all over, I'm in my cold weather gear and I've gone bright red as I'm carting around my Asda bag filled with 6 pints of milk and other assorted heavy articles!!

Anyway now home - checked temp guage on car and it says 25 degrees!! That's the UK for you - 4 seasons in one day - I bet ya one thing though at school pick up time it'll be pouring with rain again as we all stand in the playground (which has absolutely no cover!!).
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:23 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alert the media!!!...............

Yes I'm getting the champers out tonight - I'm sat in my office and can see a tiny blue patch in the sky above

Everyone here laughs at me because I simply refuse to wear anything but summer stuff and sandals
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Yes I'm getting the champers out tonight - I'm sat in my office and can see a tiny blue patch in the sky above

Everyone here laughs at me because I simply refuse to wear anything but summer stuff and sandals
Oh dear, is it really that bad? Come on July, sort yourself out
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:38 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Is it sick and weird that I'm actually jealous about the original post? If it's not boiling hot here to the point where your skin is flaking off by just going outside for a fag, we're watching those ominous afternoon storm clouds for a funnel cloud to drop! Give me calmer British weather any day! Even if it can't make up it's mind!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:52 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in New England...and we are having a summer like I remember back when I was a kid in the UK...its not very hot...the sky is an endless blue...and we have a lovely sea breeze...most of our summers here have been hot and humid...but so far this one is doing well...we just need rain...but then we don't get much summer rain at the best of times...
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
THE SUN IS OUT!!! Anyway now home - checked temp guage on car and it says 25 degrees!! That's the UK for you - 4 seasons in one day - I bet ya one thing though at school pick up time it'll be pouring with rain again as we all stand in the playground (which has absolutely no cover!!).
What a nice post
The weather is really mad here isnt it at the moment?
Its got to be something to do with that global warming......
When all the Northerners were talking about the floods, I was in t-shirt here. Really strange how such a small country so can be so different a few miles down the road.
Did you get wet at the school BTW?
C x
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:32 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
That bad??? It's rained for about a month now

On the plus side though it doesn't get me down like it used to although I woudn't say no to a bit of sunshine now
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:58 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
What a nice post
The weather is really mad here isnt it at the moment?
Its got to be something to do with that global warming......
When all the Northerners were talking about the floods, I was in t-shirt here. Really strange how such a small country so can be so different a few miles down the road.
Did you get wet at the school BTW?
C x
Yes I flippin' did get wet - on the dot 3.18pm heavens opened - thunder and lightening - cue one harassed mother and two young hysterical children sprinting from playground to the car at a speed that would give Linford Christie a run for his money (ooooh Linford Christie showing my age now!!).

Must admit southern England's not fared too bad in the whole scheme of things - took a leaf out of Louise's book today and dressed in summer stuff and so far today seen sun and NO rain!!

Heard on the news it's 47 degrees in parts of Greece!! (note to self must stop obsessing and reporting on weather - starting to look a bit like the meteorological equivalent of a train spotter!!)
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like it's turning out like summer 2004 - we had that brilliant summer in 2003 and everyone was geared up for another great one... and it peed down and was cool and crap.

Interesting article on the BBC about it.
"July is going to be lousy and the rest of it, August and September will not be worth waiting for," said Piers Corbyn, director of Weather Action.

It was the wettest June since records began in 1914 and the coldest since 2002. England has also been the dullest since 1998.

Unfortunately - it looks like it's our fault.
The weather is partly being attributed to the La Nina system, which means areas of warm water develop in the western Pacific, making the ocean surrounding Australasia warmer than usual.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
It sounds like it's turning out like summer 2004 - we had that brilliant summer in 2003 and everyone was geared up for another great one... and it peed down and was cool and crap.

Interesting article on the BBC about it.
"July is going to be lousy and the rest of it, August and September will not be worth waiting for," said Piers Corbyn, director of Weather Action.

It was the wettest June since records began in 1914 and the coldest since 2002. England has also been the dullest since 1998.

Unfortunately - it looks like it's our fault.
The weather is partly being attributed to the La Nina system, which means areas of warm water develop in the western Pacific, making the ocean surrounding Australasia warmer than usual.
Weird isn't it because in April when it was hot and sunny they were telling us all it would be another long hot summer.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Weird isn't it because in April when it was hot and sunny they were telling us all it would be another long hot summer.
They say that every year though. Last year the summer in UK lasted 3 weeks or so My parents moaned on and on about how hot they were. Now they are moaning about getting no sun at all!!!! Make ya mind up i say to them