Reload this Page >

Alcohol import to UK (shipped)

Alcohol import to UK (shipped)

Old Jan 9th 2023, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

alivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alcohol import to UK (shipped)

Hi,
looking for some clarification / experience on whether small amounts of alcohol can be shipped to the UK duty free. (A dozen bottles of wine and and 2 bottles of spirits, nothing huge nor particularly expensive).

Searching on here it seems some people have managed it fine.

I've checked the UK govt website, and my initial interpretation was that it's not feasible, since alcohol is not exempt under the tor-1 forms., Yet we do have a personal allowance. I've asked my shipper, and he just directed me to the website.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain#:~:text=You%20can%20also%20bring%20in,or%2 0still%20wine)%20%2D%209%20litres

The bit that is perhaps ambiguous is the line about personal allowances that state you "transport them yourself". Is shipping counted as being transported myself?

(Shippers come in 2 days, so not enough time to get clarification from UK govt)

Many thanks
Old Jan 10th 2023, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol import to UK (shipped)

I would think that “shipping by yourself” means that alcohol is not exempt as part of a ToR shipment. You would have to either carry them or ship them as a separate package using FedEx, DHL or another carrier. However, I don’t know more than yourself. If the shippers are coming in 2 days does that mean you have already listed the alcohol on your ToR application and had it approved? If so then you are probably okay but the ToR instructions specifically exclude alcohol hence the need to ship them separately, not with a ToR shipment.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/application-for-transfer-of-residence-relief-tor1

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer-of-residence-to-great-britain

Eligible goods

You
can claim relief on any personal property intended for your use or for meeting your household needs. This includes:
  • household effects, personal effects, household linen, furnishings and any equipment intended for your personal use or for use within your household
  • cycles, motor cycles, private motor vehicles (and their trailers), camping caravans, pleasure craft and private aircraft
  • household provisions necessary for normal family requirements, household pets and saddle animals
  • portable instruments of the applied or liberal arts required by you for your trade or profession
The relief does not apply to:
  • alcoholic beverages
  • tobacco and tobacco products
  • commercial means of transport
  • non-portable instruments required by you for your trade or profession

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 10th 2023 at 7:56 am.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

MrCheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

I phoned the relevant UK Gov official on two separate occasions and confirmed that the TOR1 relief did not apply to alcoholic beverages (even though many of the bottles were originally purchased in the UK!)
Old Jan 13th 2023, 7:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping alcohol? Unless it's really special/valuable. just drink it now and buy more in the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2023, 5:25 am
Just Joined

alivet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Decided in the end not to bother shipping any. Will take some in luggage if weight allows, otherwise will drink it before departing!

Cheers!
Old Jan 21st 2023, 12:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alivet
will drink it before departing!

Cheers!

If you need any help with this bit just let us know.