airport transport

Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

jminaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default airport transport

Does anyone have any good recommendations of a transportation service we can use when we arrive to take us, our luggage, and our 3 cats from Heathrow to the Worcester area that does not cost an arm and a leg? Not being comfortable driving in the UK I don't want to rent a car, especially as we will be very tired and probably stressed out with the move.
We are each taking our free luggage limit so will have 2 large cases each plus 3 cats in individual carriers (per DEFRA regs) and thus will be too awkward to manage trains (One of us is elderly) and busses do not allow animals unless they are service animals. In the States there are a bunch of airport transportation options but have had no luck so far finding one in the UK. The two I have contacted said they cannot accomodate our luggage and or animals. The pet shippers charge about 180 pounds to deliver the cats which is a possibility if all else fails. Quite expensive if you ask me...
Thanks in advance!!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: airport transport

What about calling and asking some of the taxi services that are local to where you will be living?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:16 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

I agree with Mummy, there are airport taxi services located in many towns aimed at folks going on holiday, hence space for luggage. Maybe you can get an empty return minivan.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

I have tried two companies in the town we are going to but they both said they could not accomodate. Being a small town there does not seem to be many. Will see if I can find any others but was wondering if there are any country wide services such as Supershuttle in the US? Thx.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jminaz
I have tried two companies in the town we are going to but they both said they could not accomodate. Being a small town there does not seem to be many. Will see if I can find any others but was wondering if there are any country wide services such as Supershuttle in the US? Thx.
Expand and try the next largest town from where you will be.
Did you call http://www.shuttlefare.com/london_he...rt_shuttle_lhr

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 9th 2011 at 5:04 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:13 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

No idea what these are like but I did search for my own use and found these

http://www.alltransport.co.uk

http://www.taxisheathrowairport.com

http://www.nationalminibushire.co.uk/
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Think your best option is to hire a minivan with a driver.
http://www.adlg.co.uk/heathrow.htm
http://travelforceuk.com/

We're not far from LHR. The uni where I work uses Gemini cabs for all our clients. They come highly recommended. I just went to their website and did a rough estimate based on their prices page. Looks like it would run you about £275 from LHR to Worcester. They have a good range of vehicles (estate cars, MPVs, etc).
http://www.geminicars.co.uk This figure (just an estimate) might as least give you a framework to go by when comparing other companies.

Edited to add:
I actually just rang Gemini for you. They charge £3.30 per mile for extended trips such as what you need. He said that Worcester's about 125 miles away, which would come to about £420 but that if you paid cash they would knock it down to £360.

Last edited by DDL; Sep 9th 2011 at 8:02 pm. Reason: To update cost estimate
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for taking the time to contact them - so nice of you and not at all expected. I will check out the links provided and see what various costs are. Unfortunately the one you contacted is a bit out of our price range. Hoping to find something a bit more affordable. May end up having the Pet Shippers deliver the cats and taking the train if nothing else pans out. Thanks for all the responses!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Think your best option is to hire a minivan with a driver.
http://www.adlg.co.uk/heathrow.htm
http://travelforceuk.com/

We're not far from LHR. The uni where I work uses Gemini cabs for all our clients. They come highly recommended. I just went to their website and did a rough estimate based on their prices page. Looks like it would run you about £275 from LHR to Worcester. They have a good range of vehicles (estate cars, MPVs, etc).
http://www.geminicars.co.uk This figure (just an estimate) might as least give you a framework to go by when comparing other companies.

Edited to add:
I actually just rang Gemini for you. They charge £3.30 per mile for extended trips such as what you need. He said that Worcester's about 125 miles away, which would come to about £420 but that if you paid cash they would knock it down to £360.
this is a good price for what you are carrying its about a 3 hour drive each way maybe more if you hit traffice
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to take the cats on the train in a cat box. Have you checked?

I saw someone traveling with a smaller animal. A guinea pig, I think.

Bev
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

jminaz, May I ask if you had a house to sell in Arizona? It's a bloody awful market out here. I want to leave Arizona but have a darned house no longer want and would like to sell - either break even or if have to do short sale. If you want to do you can pm me. Good luck with move back to UK. I just want to move to another part of the US - as long as not Arizona I will be fine wherever it may be..
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fulwood
jminaz, May I ask if you had a house to sell in Arizona? It's a bloody awful market out here. I want to leave Arizona but have a darned house no longer want and would like to sell - either break even or if have to do short sale. If you want to do you can pm me. Good luck with move back to UK. I just want to move to another part of the US - as long as not Arizona I will be fine wherever it may be..
Hi! Yes we had a house that we thankfully were able to sell after being listed for 8 months with 2 price decreases and 2 agents. The 2nd agent was much more proactive than the original one. I agree, the housing market here is horrible. Our realtor told us that he thinks the market will continue to fall for another year and then level off, reaching the current pricing in 4-5 years. Scary stuff! Good luck on the selling of your place. What part of AZ are you in? I am up north so perhaps the market is a bit better than Phoenix, less inventory maybe? I agree that AZ is not what it used to be. Hope you find somewhere you like and can afford
Thanks, I will be happy when the move is complete - all the stress and stuff to think about prior to will be a relief when I am back home in the UK!!