Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Air quality as a location factor in returning?

Air quality as a location factor in returning?

Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air quality as a location factor in returning?

As we consider where to settle in the UK, I wonder if anyone has considered air quality in the decision. I read that 40,000 deaths per year are attributed to pollution in the UK, one if the worst in the EU.

The maps show London is the worst location, along with most of southeast England. Far north England and most of Scotland look to have much healthier air quality. The other issue concerning us is the lack of forests and wilderness in the more congested southeast versus the northwest and Scotland, which seem to offer these benefits.

I don’t mean to offend anyone in these areas, but it seems a valid factor for many who see these issues as imporant in where they live.

Last edited by Richard8655; Jan 25th 2018 at 1:46 am.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Air quality as a location factor in returning?

I would say that is a person was retiring and had choice of areas then they would consider air quality. However other factors determine location, ie. jobs, house costs, school types, distance to relatives to name just a few.
Even retiring prices and facilities have to be taken into account in any area, so it does not really come down to choice but a few factors.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes for sure, it’s a bit of a luxury to make this the top priority when you need a job, affordable housing, family proximity, etc. But considering the long term health aspects, it seems it’s up there. My situation is the retiring category, so I guess I fit the group where that’s a factor.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Those wishing to check air quality where they live might find this useful
Pollution hotspots revealed: Check your area - BBC News
Old Jan 25th 2018, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
As we consider where to settle in the UK, I wonder if anyone has considered air quality in the decision. I read that 40,000 deaths per year are attributed to pollution in the UK, one if the worst in the EU.

The maps show London is the worst location, along with most of southeast England. Far north England and most of Scotland look to have much healthier air quality. The other issue concerning us is the lack of forests and wilderness in the more congested southeast versus the northwest and Scotland, which seem to offer these benefits.

I don’t mean to offend anyone in these areas, but it seems a valid factor for many who see these issues as imporant in where they live.
Folkestone has excellent air quality, better weather and less rain than most of the UK. Affordable housing and it's in the South East with easy access to London and Europe.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Those wishing to check air quality where they live might find this useful
Pollution hotspots revealed: Check your area - BBC News
Thanks for this, particularly since our postcode is rated as Good. (highest rating). I always hoped there was an advantage to living in a very windy area.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 5:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Thanks for this, particularly since our postcode is rated as Good. (highest rating). I always hoped there was an advantage to living in a very windy area.
You're welcome. Glad to see you live in 'fresh and bracing' conditions too. We face the Irish Sea so no shortage of wind here
Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Glad to see you live in 'fresh and bracing' conditions too. We face the Irish Sea so no shortage of wind here
It’s the wuthering moors where our winds come from, although we are also a short distance from the North Sea.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My area is also grade !, the lowest, It has recently been a bit windy here too, but it's grade one all year around.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Same rating here, but not as windy in East Devon
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:33 pm
Concierge

According to the data cited in the above article, more than four out of five UK postcodes have the lowest (best) rating of (1). I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for a new comer or returnee to find somewhere to live with good air quality.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

According to the data cited in the above article, more than four out of five UK postcodes have the lowest (best) rating of (1). I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for a new comer or returnee to find somewhere to live with good air quality.
Good point.

I just looked up an address right outside the huge chemical works on Teesside and it also had the best rating of 1. 10 Downing Street is rated as 3 - Slightly Polluted, as is Buckingham Palace and the Bank of England on Threadneedle Street (EC2R 8AH).
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.

I just looked up an address right outside the huge chemical works on Teesside and it also had the best rating of 1. 10 Downing Street is rated as 3 - Slightly Polluted, as is Buckingham Palace and the Bank of England on Threadneedle Street (EC2R 8AH).
That's because the rating tool only looks at NOx, just one of several hundred components of polluted air.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's because the rating tool only looks at NOx, just one of several hundred components of polluted air.
I think that's why cities get a bad rating because the biggest component from car emissions.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Come and live on my wind-swept Scottish island - "The Madeira of the Clyde". Not much going in the way of employment but for the retired and self-employed it is more than OK !