Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Age 55+? Sheltered Housing is an option for you!

Age 55+? Sheltered Housing is an option for you!

Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Age 55+? Sheltered Housing is an option for you!

I've just received a (charity) Christmas card from my cousin and her spouse.

He's a master baker - he owns a couple of bakeries, makes wedding cakes etc. The Christmas card was sold in aid of the:

Bakers' Benevolent Society (Charity no. 211307)
The Mill House
23 Bakers' Lane
Epping
Essex CM16 5DQ

Tel: 01992 575951

It says "Established in 1832 to provide sheltered accommodation for retired Bakers, Confectioners and people who have worked in the Allied Trades" In addition we support a number of outside beneficiaries who continue to live in their own homes, all of whom will benefit from the sale of this card"

http://www.bakersbenevolent.co.uk/accommodation.php

Epping and the ancient Epping Forest is in Greater London and the Central Line tube terminates there. We lived a couple of miles away in a nearby village.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

lynhom1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required urgently - thanks

Hi, I am needing a bit of advice regarding my mum. She is 72 yrs old and recently separated from an abusive husband. they were living in Turkey for past 5 yrs. They sold everything in uk and bought a place in Turkey. Now her x has run off with everything and she is staying temporarily with me in Dubai where I live. She would like to move back to live in uk and receives a pension, but has no money or savings. Could she qualify for any kind of housing and would the rent be subsidised by the government. We have no other family in UK and the visa laws in Dubai mean she cannot live with me permenantly. I do not know what to do or who to contact for advice. Please if anyone can help we would appriciate it. Thanks, Lynn
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice required urgently - thanks

Originally Posted by lynhom1
Hi, I am needing a bit of advice regarding my mum. She is 72 yrs old and recently separated from an abusive husband. they were living in Turkey for past 5 yrs. They sold everything in uk and bought a place in Turkey. Now her x has run off with everything and she is staying temporarily with me in Dubai where I live. She would like to move back to live in uk and receives a pension, but has no money or savings. Could she qualify for any kind of housing and would the rent be subsidised by the government. We have no other family in UK and the visa laws in Dubai mean she cannot live with me permenantly. I do not know what to do or who to contact for advice. Please if anyone can help we would appriciate it. Thanks, Lynn
Hi Lynn

I think you need to move this question to another part of the forum as there are some legal type experts on BE. Just tacking it on to a thread about Sheltered Housing for over 55's will not work as not a lot of people would look here.

How about on the main Moving Back To The UK forum or even the Middle East main page?

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you with this difficult situation for your mum.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age 55+? Sheltered Housing is an option for you!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just received a (charity) Christmas card from my cousin and her spouse.

He's a master baker - he owns a couple of bakeries, makes wedding cakes etc. The Christmas card was sold in aid of the:

Bakers' Benevolent Society (Charity no. 211307)
The Mill House
23 Bakers' Lane
Epping
Essex CM16 5DQ

Tel: 01992 575951

It says "Established in 1832 to provide sheltered accommodation for retired Bakers, Confectioners and people who have worked in the Allied Trades" In addition we support a number of outside beneficiaries who continue to live in their own homes, all of whom will benefit from the sale of this card"

http://www.bakersbenevolent.co.uk/accommodation.php

Epping and the ancient Epping Forest is in Greater London and the Central Line tube terminates there. We lived a couple of miles away in a nearby village.
Do you think they would help somebody who has eaten a lot of their cakes?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:08 am
Just Joined

dragon456 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everybody I have just found this site.

I am 57 male no money (good one eh) been living in Thailand for the last 5 years and don't know where to start in going back to the UK. No family in the UK. I was thinking of manchester. Any help advice or anything very useful. I would think getting my wife in would be very difficult. Need work place to live like I said any help gratefully received.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:26 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dragon456
hello everybody I have just found this site. I am 57 male no money (good one eh) been living in Thailand for the last 5 years and don't know where to start in going back to the UK. No family in the UK. I was thinking of manchester. Any help advice or anything very useful. I would think getting my wife in would be very difficult. Need work place to live like I said any help gratefully received.
Hi Dragon and welcome.

Your wife will need entry clearance to the UK. I highly suggest you visit http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0 The nice people there are very helpful and knowledgeable about Visas, etc.

I have found that the eligibility age for most Sheltered Housing schemes (especially the ones managed by local authorities) begins at age 60, but Housing 21 accepts people beginning at age 55. Each scheme has their own application process - and usually a waiting list.

Suggest you either visit the Housing 21 website http://www.housing21.co.uk/ (where you can search housing by area), or start Googling "sheltered housing" "manchester" or similar.

Good luck to you!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:57 am
Just Joined

dragon456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks i will be looking on these sites.