Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

after I become a US citizen, am I still a British citizen?

Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

karenina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default after I become a US citizen, am I still a British citizen?

If I go to a British consular office in the USA to renew my UK passport,
will they find that that I've become a US citizen? (or am I obligated
to disclose this information to them?)

if so, what will happen if the US and UK declare war on each other?
I know this is extremely unlikely, hasn't happend since 1812?
but I was just wondering....
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: after I become a US citizen, am I still a British citizen?

Yes, I'm a dual citizen ... although must confess have not renewed my UK passport since receiving US citizenship so I don't remember if you have to declare it on the UK application for passport renewal ... either way you can't lose UK citizenship until you renounce it in front of a judge! (at least that's my understanding)
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenina

Yes...

They are not interested ...

You flee to Bolivia and become the white sex goddess
to the Um Bonga tribe
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

Always curious why people who are emigrating don't find out about their own country's rules on what their rights are once they leave their country to elsewhere in the world.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

British law requires that to lose your citizenship, you must make an *overt* demonstration of your intent to relinquish citizenship. Simply acquiring the citizenship of another country does *not* meet the threshold for the criteria.

Ian - dual UKC/USC
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

All the amusing answers aside, you can find your questions answered in the BE wiki:
Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship

Naturalization US Citizenship Resources

And a great, easy to read FAQ about Dual Citizenship:
Dual Citizenship FAQ Dual Nationality and United States Law by Rich Wales
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:11 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
British law requires that to lose your citizenship, you must make an *overt* demonstration of your intent to relinquish citizenship. Simply acquiring the citizenship of another country does *not* meet the threshold for the criteria.

Ian - dual UKC/USC
Did Canada revoke?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Did Canada revoke?
What? No... I didn't think it was necessary to add a further layer of confusion to the mix!

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Did Canada revoke?
Not since 15 February 1977 (and most of those Canadians who lost citizenship before then will get it back soon).
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:19 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

What? No... I didn't think it was necessary to add a further layer of confusion to the mix!

Ian
Go on with you: I know you were just aching for someone to out you as a triple
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I have renewed my UK passport, since becoming a USC, no problems. No one seems to care.

When people ask:
"Where are you from", you will be able to say "I'm an American"

They will say "Where are you from (Words to that effect)", you will say, I have an American Passport"

They will say, "Yea but, your accent", you will say " I was born in UK, England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales" one choice only, or you will confuse them even more

You will then tell them, you have 2 passports, your a Dual Citizen. Now they are really confused, say goodbye & make your escape. If you don't escape they will make you repeat it all again. Others will join the conversation, a mob will gather, people will say "Please keep talking, we love your Australian accent.
You will say, "10,000 miles from Australia", they will say "New Zealand", you will say, "Guess geography was not your best subject". Now refer to run instructions.
I have been in this scenario several hundred times.
Good luck, wear running shoes at all times.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

The only time it really matters if you decide to work for the US feds..and you have to obtain security clearance...after they finish crawl up your butt about you having a UK passport,it will raise a huge flag...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

British law requires that to lose your citizenship, you must make an *overt* demonstration of your intent to relinquish citizenship.
what will happen if the US and UK declare war on each other?
Signing up for the military in that situation would probably do it :-)