British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   After 7 yrs in Oz now back in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/after-7-yrs-oz-now-back-uk-724954/)

Ian12 Jul 15th 2011 2:12 am

After 7 yrs in Oz now back in UK

Hi, Just a very quick update to say that after years of dithering on this forum, we took the plunge and returned "home" to London. I have been back 3 months and so far no regrets. It feels so good to have friends and family near by. No, we don't see heaps of any of them, but then we don't need to. Everyone has busy lives, but unlike our time in Oz I know that there are at least half a dozen people we are very close to who we could see at almost any time .... and enjoy our time together.

I have no regrets about spending the seven years in Sydney but it feels good to be back. In fact it feels almost as if I never went away. To all the ditherers out there, have courage and take the plunge. You can always change your mind later on. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

ANGIE1956 Jul 15th 2011 2:56 am

Re: After 7 yrs in Oz now back in UK

Originally Posted by Ian12 (Post 9496348)
Hi, Just a very quick update to say that after years of dithering on this forum, we took the plunge and returned "home" to London. I have been back 3 months and so far no regrets. It feels so good to have friends and family near by. No, we don't see heaps of any of them, but then we don't need to. Everyone has busy lives, but unlike our time in Oz I know that there are at least half a dozen people we are very close to who we could see at almost any time .... and enjoy our time together.

I have no regrets about spending the seven years in Sydney but it feels good to be back. In fact it feels almost as if I never went away. To all the ditherers out there, have courage and take the plunge. You can always change your mind later on. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

Why did you move back?

quoll Jul 15th 2011 5:49 am

Good to hear that Ian. Isnt it nice to feel like you really belong!

You might want to change your location now that you are back in the best place on earth!

the troubadour Jul 15th 2011 6:04 am

Good your settling back into life there after seven years. That's a fair time away.
Wonder what are the pro's and con's between the two cities in your opinion?

Was back in London for some months last year myself with the thought of returning.
Don't have any relations and most all friends have moved on as left in 92.

Still giving some consideration to returning what with the high dollar...
Any observations with regards to London positive or negative do share.

Beedubya Jul 15th 2011 12:19 pm

Well done Ian, I have been back for not much longer myself and am really settling down. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to put a thread up in the BACK HOME bit,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158

I plan on doing one when I have been here 6 months. :)

brits1 Jul 16th 2011 12:42 pm

Always nice to read a thread like yours....we feel the same in regards to our return.....and also now have the confidence to think if we change our views in the future then the world is your oyster so to speak. All the best

EnglishRose15 Jul 17th 2011 3:49 am

Well done, yes dithering is the most painful part. So good to hear a positive outcome. I hope it all continues so well for you. :)

Cumbrian Lass Jul 17th 2011 12:13 pm

We have been dithering for sometime too...........but we are taking the plunge in 4 weeks.I am so scared ,I am just so confused.But i guess we will see what happens when we get there.We have been in Alberta for 10yrs more or less to the day,and are finding we spend more and more time indoors.We ran out of things to do years ago and we are just so bored here now.So its time to give some where else ago........a different part of the UK:fingerscrossed:

Sunshine111 Jul 18th 2011 6:32 am

Great post Ian12. Good hearing about someone having settled well back into things. We were also a couple of dithers, especially end of last year but are heading back in 2 wks... Decision made & actually feel alright about it. Just feels right. Just hope it doesn't disappoint!! ha! ha!

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 9500663)
We have been dithering for sometime too...........but we are taking the plunge in 4 weeks.I am so scared ,I am just so confused.But i guess we will see what happens when we get there.We have been in Alberta for 10yrs more or less to the day,and are finding we spend more and more time indoors.We ran out of things to do years ago and we are just so bored here now.So its time to give some where else ago........a different part of the UK:fingerscrossed:

can relate Cumbrian Lass, been in Oz 10 yrs & about running out of things to do & being bored (in Perth) Also, had x4 mths of mad heat last summer that helped make our decision, had x2 young kids going troppo because we couldn't go outside & the other challenge being, there is only one indoor place to go in Perth with decent aircon & using it - when it is that hot! & even that is pretty naff!

Least in the UK when the weather isn't outdoor weather, there are plenty of great things to do inside... Good luck with everything. I can't wait & we are also going to live in a different part of the UK. I think we need the challenge & we are such different people to the ones that left 10 yrs ago.....

brits1 Jul 18th 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 9500663)

I think it was the same for us in Aus...after the first 5 years we started to think of things we had not already done and then some..lol...it would of been a lot easier I think if we really hated the place but we did'nt we just found it boring and at times very bland. We also settled in an area we were not familiar with and that worked for us.....we are in Derbyshire and a bit of a holiday county which also helped...we might of tried the "coast" but we a little bit restricted because our eldest had a place at Uni in Manchester, if and when our boys decide to flee the nest then we might look at somewhere different but we are happy were we are. All the best

Cumbrian Lass Jul 18th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Sunshine111 (Post 9501844)
Great post Ian12. Good hearing about someone having settled well back into things. We were also a couple of dithers, especially end of last year but are heading back in 2 wks... Decision made & actually feel alright about it. Just feels right. Just hope it doesn't disappoint!! ha! ha!

can relate Cumbrian Lass, been in Oz 10 yrs & about running out of things to do & being bored (in Perth) Also, had x4 mths of mad heat last summer that helped make our decision, had x2 young kids going troppo because we couldn't go outside & the other challenge being, there is only one indoor place to go in Perth with decent aircon & using it - when it is that hot! & even that is pretty naff!

Least in the UK when the weather isn't outdoor weather, there are plenty of great things to do inside... Good luck with everything. I can't wait & we are also going to live in a different part of the UK. I think we need the challenge & we are such different people to the ones that left 10 yrs ago.....

What part of the Uk are you going back to???

I love the challenges of life and meeting new people,so I am sure we will all be just fine,but its a huge huge step to take after living here for so long.

But i cannot imagaine spending another winter here ,looking out of the window and watching the thermometer drop to sometimes -45.Those days are gone for us !!!!! :thumbup:

Syedney Jul 19th 2011 4:06 pm

What a frank and refreshing insight, cheers Ian :thumbup:

Also was keen to read as I am also planning to go back to UK for good and have been living in the Northern Beaches for the past 32 months!
Love it out here but by God doesn't it feel so damn isolated it from anywhere and we miss all our mates & family so...badly!:(

Good luck Ian & to those who've decided to go back...I agree that life is too precious to dither! Make the choice now!

brits1 Jul 19th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 9502358)
What part of the Uk are you going back to???

I love the challenges of life and meeting new people,so I am sure we will all be just fine,but its a huge huge step to take after living here for so long.

But i cannot imagaine spending another winter here ,looking out of the window and watching the thermometer drop to sometimes -45.Those days are gone for us !!!!! :thumbup:

It is a huge step and because you know that I am sure you will be fine...as I said before we did not return home because thought it would fix the problems we found in Aus...but because we just wanted to be back where we wanted to enjoy the things we could not do in Aus. Just keep remembering the things you want to do back in the UK and treat it like a new experience because it is and also take each day as it comes. Good luck