Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Affordable Accom when you arrive?

Affordable Accom when you arrive?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Affordable Accom when you arrive?

Hey Everyone

Just wondering where to stay when we first get off the Plane in the UK? Obviously you can't get a flat straight up and hotels seem $$$$$ - what do most people do? Long term holiday lets? I guess most have relatives, but as we are the weird Aussies that are moving abroad that doesn't really work for us.

Oh and by the way, I ventured into the Aust. part of this forum and spoke of wanting to leave Australia and what I feel are it's downfalls and I was lucky to make it out of there alive!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable Accom when you arrive?

Originally Posted by Teabag
Hey Everyone

Just wondering where to stay when we first get off the Plane in the UK? Obviously you can't get a flat straight up and hotels seem $$$$$ - what do most people do? Long term holiday lets? I guess most have relatives, but as we are the weird Aussies that are moving abroad that doesn't really work for us.

Oh and by the way, I ventured into the Aust. part of this forum and spoke of wanting to leave Australia and what I feel are it's downfalls and I was lucky to make it out of there alive!
thats because you didn't actually answer the OPs question you just launched into a "I hate Perth/WA" tirade.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Noooooooooo!!! Don't go in there and knock it. They hunt in packs and it can get very messy!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Everyone

guess you've checked out rental properties?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Everyone

have you looked at serviced apartments? They can work out cheaper than hotels, are more flexible, and can be booked on a short-term basis.

Not sure what your budget is but I've been looking at serviced apartments in Berkshire and there are some very good rates (when you compare against a hotel + meals, etc) - from £250 week for a one-bed apt.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
have you looked at serviced apartments? They can work out cheaper than hotels, are more flexible, and can be booked on a short-term basis.

Not sure what your budget is but I've been looking at serviced apartments in Berkshire and there are some very good rates (when you compare against a hotel + meals, etc) - from £250 week for a one-bed apt.
a friend of mine is renting a one bed in camberley for £750 pr mth.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

Thanks for that - do you have any links I could check out?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh and I don't hate my country or my people just aspects of it. I originally wanted to move to Tasmania, absolutely adore that island, but people that do that find their kids move to the mainland as soon as they are old enough, plus the lure of travel in Europe is just too enticing. Retirement in Tassie is still an option.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:48 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
thats because you didn't actually answer the OPs question you just launched into a "I hate Perth/WA" tirade.
She went off topic OMG, that never happens surely?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 10:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
She went off topic OMG, that never happens surely?
and your point is...
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - do you have any links I could check out?
I've only been looking for apts in Reading so just have the one link:

http://www.readingtourism.org.uk/acc...ngserviced.htm

But if you do a Google search for 'serviced apartments' and the town/area you're looking, you'll probably bring up loads.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Affordable Accom when you arrive?

Hey Everyone

Have you any idea where you will relocate to? Are you planning to spend weeks/months in certain parts of the UK and then move to another region, or just stay put, short or medium-to-long term in one place?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Have you any idea where you will relocate to? Are you planning to spend weeks/months in certain parts of the UK and then move to another region, or just stay put, short or medium-to-long term in one place?

I think it will all depend on what jobs we get and where they are. I'd prefer a little village but hubby want's to stay within a 30 min train ride to London